Gibson Sticky Neck Syndrome

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by frankencat, Jun 9, 2019.

1. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Supporting Member

What would you do with a Gibson acoustic that has a sticky neck and you have already tried sanding it down with a scotch brite and wax?

2. bashlin

bashlin Member

Leave it out of the case as much as possible.. After a few months itll be fine.. No way would i have sanded the neck because its sticky ‍♂️

3. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

Play it a lot and the stickiness will go away...also, Virtuoso Polish helps. I’d never sand the neck, but that’s just me.

4. frankencat

The owner sanded the shine off with a scotch-brite. I tried a couple of other things but nothing has worked. This is a relatively new 2017 J-45.

He bought it to me and wanted me to strip all of the paint off of the neck. I talked him into a more conservative approach. So far none of that has helped. Remember we are in Florida where it is 95/95 and the acoustic gigs are outside. :)

C-4 likes this.
  5. bashlin

bashlin Member

Honestly, in time it'll get better.. Leave it out of the case.. Itll speed up the process.. Other than that, keep a cotton rag with you when you play outdoors.. Try to wipe it down in between songs.. For some reason sweat, sunshine, humidity, and new Gibsons clash.. Leave it out of case, wipe the neck down when you can.. But please don't sand it or put any chemicals on it.. Youll regret it so much later when the finish finally cures completely..

Darkburst likes this.
  6. frankencat

The guitar belongs to a customer of mine. He wants it now.

7. Gspspinone

Gspspinone Supporting Member

I had a LP with this problem. I wiped the neck down with VMP Naphtha to clean all the old wax, oils, grime...etc and let it air dry and then put a coat of Renaissance wax on the neck and buffed it to a nice shine... no more sticky neck ever.

EtaCarinae, derekd and markophonic like this.
  8. BrokenRomeo

BrokenRomeo Supporting Member

Get some gibson guitar polish spray...spray the neck and wipe off with a soft cotton cloth, and keep rubbing until the neck warms up a little, repeat a few times and if the stickiness returns, repeat...will be gone after a while.

Axis29 and bashlin like this.
  9. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

Hopefully it's not being caused by silicone polish on the neck, because if that's the case, it's sticky for good. Ditto if someone wiped it with alcohol.

10. DGrig

DGrig Member

Wouldn't a bare neck have a hard life in Florida?

milli vanilli likes this.
  11. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

Yes, yes it would. The tropical humidity and the seasalt air has its way with unprotected wood.

derekd likes this.
  12. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Just play it and work in the finish. I have no idea why people sand necks down, I never heard tell of this until all these guitar forums came around. Nitro gets smooth once you work it in.. it does not need to be sanded down and all this other crazy **** people do.

valvestate, Windup 43 and wetordry like this.
  13. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Gibson Geezer Silver Supporting Member

Been sanding the neck on my guitars since before the internet was invented, used 0000 steel wool until they came up with Scotchbrite pads.

derekd and Baxtercat like this.
  14. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member

wash the Pizza off my hands.... :p

Guys.... didja know, guitar necks are finished with exactly the same finishes that pool cures are.... with rare exception.

No one gives any thought to "dusting up" prior to breaking "rack"... yet, those same guitar wannabes will bytch 'n whine like a scolded puppy about the same paints feeling sticky on their guitars...

There are several things that make a neck sticky... and they all are external the physical characteristics of the guitar, and whatever it's coated with...

First is your hands... they are engineered to INCREASE friction, not diminish it... that's facilitated by the texture of your skin, and further facilitated by the residual moisture present.. i. e. moist skin will have a higher coefficient of friction than dry skin, and further, that moisture content is "magnified" by the relative humidity wherever you happen to be... So.. number one is to get things dry.... Or, your hands are gonna be sticky on about everything on an August evening in the SouthEast when the relative humidity is 92% as compared to an August evening in Phoenix when the Relative Humidity is 23%...

The next thing is your personal chemical makeup... some do not realize, we are all separate and individual chemical factories... "your" personal chemistry may react differently with the chemical makeup of the paint on your guitar than some other guys... that doesn't make the guitar sticky, it means your hands are sticky on that guitar..

Scuffling up the back of a neck can only serve to INCREASE the coefficient of friction, not reduce it... it's primary function is not to reduce the friction, but to afford a textured surface to hold a lubricant, most often wax...the Wax, nestled in the recesses of the textured, roughed up, sanded surface becomes micro-reservoirs supplying and resupplying the lubricating effect of the wax as your hands glide over it.. and use a GOOD WAX like MinWax Finishing paste wax.... "Scoobies" super shine 10000 lumen Car Wax ain't gonna cut it... get the good stuff... It'll set ya back about what a pack of Camels will or a cheep bottle of wine...

If you have chronic problems. . . keep alcohol wipes in your case.... wipe your hands.. the alcohol will remove the natural skin oils and dry your skin somewhat.... and bad news,, you may have to repeat . . you know, like a Golfer will wipe his hands and grips during a tournament, as will Tennis players. I even saw Satchmo wipe his lips during a performance ... OMG, the Horror....:rolleyes:

and the final thing that should be considered . . . your playing technique... if you employ a "choke hold" on your neck.. that presents opportunity for your skin to do what it was designed to .. grasp whatever you're holding... such might make ya think the neck's sticky.. Your hands don't really know if they're gripping the last pieces of wood keeping you from sliding over the edge of Angel Falls, or cruising up 'n down a neck as you run the arpeggios of "Nola" on your number one..

and if wax doesn't do it... you have real problems, and its not the paint.. or you can do what shredders do.. wear those skanly little fingerless gloves...what?? ya think they wear 'em to look "cool" :D

rk

15. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Never had to do this in my life. Every guitar I just play and with nitro I've always had it turn smooth after a few months of playing. I also don't like steel wool at all since the shavings can get into the pickups if you don't cover it up well and it just makes a mess.

Magnets And Melodies likes this.
  16. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    I as well, live in Florida. I use something like Pledge on a Fender cloth on the neck, and then polish it several times before playing each set.

The humidity down here naturally makes the nitro sticky feeling, but after I use Pledge or a similar product and polish the back of the neck several times, it smooths everything out to where there is no resistance or sticky feeling. I do this with even my satin neck guitars. I've had great luck doing this before I play any of my guitars. I do it once a set at the beginning of each set and I use it on the strings as well, pinching the wet cloth from the Pledge and sliding it along the length of each string, then wiping them clean and tuning the guitar.

My satin neck guitars experience the stickiness as well, so they get the same treatment as the nitro gloss neck guitars get. I've had no problem ever doing this the entire time I've played and started doing something to relieve the sticky necks. That has been about 57 years so far.

coldengray likes this.
  17. ahhlou

ahhlou Member

The nitro finish needs time to cure. It will cure hard in 6 to 12 months, longer in a humid state. Educate you customer. You are not dealing with an iphone...

Magnets And Melodies likes this.
  18. FiestaRed869

FiestaRed869 Member

1000 grit sandpaper. Done that to numerous gloss neck fenders. Works every time, scotch brite was never enough

19. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

Pledge has silicone. Know this before spraying it on a nitro finish. If you plan on refinishing an instrument, don't wipe Pledge or anything with silicone on it. It'll cause fisheyes in new nitro, spots where the finish won't adhere due to the silicone.

20. markophonic

markophonic Silver Supporting Member

I second the use of renaissance wax. I use it on vintage military gunstocks. It's used in museums for many, many things. It's relatively expensive compared to your basic paste waxes. Do a google search for renaissance wax.

Gspspinone likes this.