Gibson Sues Dean Guitars Over Alleged Trademark Infringement

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rocco Crocco, Jun 20, 2019.

1. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

After Play Authentic, I expect this to be the case with anyone with an American based Guitar Company (boutique included, YouTubers who use their guitars unauthorized possibly as well) to be targeted.

As a result, I vow to never use or buy a Gibson, Epiphone, or other subsidiary guitar new. This is absolutely absurd, and Gibson -- in its desperate attempt to save face -- is looking INCREDIBLY foolish. They are a total no go for me.

Average Joe, halliganjoel and Lt Dak like this.
  2. BrokenRomeo

BrokenRomeo Supporting Member

I was close to pulling the trigger on a new 50's LP Standard...not any more, I guess I'm in the market for a "copy" now.

superstratjunky and LordThurisaz like this.
  3. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

Thank you for keeping money away from these vultures (Gibson).

superstratjunky likes this.
  4. MoPho

MoPho Pho Shizzle

My EJ Strat, my partscaster Strat and Tele, my Hamers...all good enough and I shape my own sound. My LP doesn’t play itself and some marketing hack isn’t going to change any of that.

LordThurisaz likes this.
  5. badgerchemist

badgerchemist Supporting Member

Their law firm looks awfully small time, and appears to only have 2 or 3 clients.....might be trying to overthrow the pitch and leaving it in the zone way too long. I sense a blowback from a countersuit coming sooner or later over harassment by a number of small builders to once-and-for-all put this s**t 6 feet under where it belongs.

6. Hofnarr

Hofnarr Member

This is better than 10 Table Tennis World Cups.

MoPho likes this.
  7. badgerchemist

What about another company making clones that has the (in)famous Director of Brand Experience giving the two thumbs up? If nothing else they certainly struggle with showing a unified front/message.....

superstratjunky and MoPho like this.
  8. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

The PRS case hinged a lot on a remark by Gibson reps when the judge asked if a prospective buyer would be likely to confuse a PRS Single Cut with an LP and Gibson answered "No!"

The Agnesi video played poorly and now the "guy in a leather jacket" CEO backed by their private equity investor seem out of touch with how this market works. This isn't widgets or Silicon Valley. We are a small world of folks passionate about an art form that might have seen its heyday.

It feels like Gibson is punching down. It wouldn't cause me to dump all my Gibson gear but it turns me off, does not feel like a good move for us as consumers and most of all, in a world where I'm always on the hunt... this may encourage me to look elsewhere during my next purchase.

Worst of all, I've never played a Dean and had any dialogue comparing it to a Gibson.

Not cool!

superstratjunky likes this.
  9. badgerchemist

Here’s an idea,.....what if everyone who agrees that this lawsuit and Gibson’s behavior is bull$hit, tapes over the Gibson logo on their guitars until they drop these horse$hit suits and stop putting out youtube videos threatening their customers. Might start to get the point across.

Let’s get it started-post your photos!

Gevalt likes this.
  10. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

Get that started on a social media platform like Twitter with a hashtag like #fckgibson or something

11. badgerchemist

I will once I get home on a Sunday from vacation and can get some tape and my camera together.

Although I’m thinking #fckgibsom™️

superstratjunky and uab9253 like this.
  12. BrokenRomeo

BrokenRomeo Supporting Member

Make sure to use nitro safe tape!!

13. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

I was going to mention that Gibson has used that headstock shape in the past, but didn't want to add to an already bloated thread. Although I have just done exactly that!.
    Al

14. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

Well, Dean has responded to Gibson.

https://guitar.com/news/industry-news/gibson-dean-guitars-armadillo-responds/

Basically told them to stick it. Gibson's claims are "baseless" and that the guitar shapes have been used by other manufacturers for the last 40 years.
    Gibson is definitely coming off worse for this little stunt. Just when they'd gained some kind of favourable public perception post Henry, this BS comes out.
    I was about to buy another Explorer too...

15. AltecGreen

AltecGreen Member

This thread needs more fuel. This video came at the right time. So much to work with here.

16. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

Thank you. This is the single best explanation of why this sits so poorly with me.

They were doing a nice job of seeming like they got 'it'. The videos were a little late-Boomer/early-Xer, but it's who they are. I just appreciated that they were trying to reconnect and act like humans, unlike Henry's bad John Waters impression; he always made me feel like I was in a David Lynch movie.

I don't even care so much that they filed. I think it's dumb and bound to lose, but if they felt they needed to, whatever. Other filings came and went without notice. And then - Mark Agnesi lecturing and threatening. It's SO tone deaf.

And they're punching down.

17. wetordry

wetordry Member

Seems like everything used to be aok.
    Not sure why gibson customers should be playing authentic.

18. Axeaholic

Axeaholic Supporting Member

You know what, I'm on board

jdel77, Gevalt and badgerchemist like this.
  19. Axeaholic

Axeaholic Supporting Member

L
    Let's agree to a Hashtag

20. JPH118

JPH118 Member

Yeah, that all makes sense... i just get the "sour grapes" vibe from them going after ESP so many years later. Guess you can't blame them, or Metallica for that matter, if ESP was likely much more open to their ideas based on what others have said about Gibson.

Thumpalumpacus and 27sauce like this.