Gibson to launch Authorized Partnership Program

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by JesseKnutson44, Jul 15, 2019.

1. JesseKnutson44

JesseKnutson44 Member

When Gibson said they plan to switch from confrontation to collaboration, they meant it.

I spoke with JC, the president and CEO of Gibson about the lawsuit against Dean, the video that they posted about protecting their brand only to remove it, and a brand new program called the Gibson Authorized Partnership Program where they will enter into partnerships/agreements with boutique builders that are using Gibson's trademarked shapes or names.

“We have to preserve and protect (our trademarks), but I think we can do it in a way that’s not confrontational, it’s more collaborative."

Details:
    https://www.newschannel5.com/news/g...on-with-gibson-authorized-partnership-program

wilto, JLee, EarleG and 10 others like this.
  2. 27sauce

27sauce Member

So 3 or 4 builders of Gibson alternatives will now be limited to the number of certain models they can build and they’ll now have some sort of Gibson branding?

Interesting. Roll that dice.
    Feel that shame.

JPH118, lp_bruce, coltonius and 5 others like this.
  3. Raygun Gothic

Raygun Gothic Member

No, Gibson's going to grant them a license to make Gibson like instruments. I think Fender has done this with some boutique builders.

Hawking, InkStained and Badtone like this.
  4. 27sauce

27sauce Member

In limited numbers, while having to “acknowledge” that they are Fender designs? Which ones?

AmplifyMe, egregion and derekd like this.
  5. guitarlifestyle

guitarlifestyle I like guitars. Silver Supporting Member

They better hope their trademark claims hold up! History seems to indicate that they won't, and this program will be useless to them.

coldstare, Hawking, hudpucker and 8 others like this.
  6. 27sauce

27sauce Member

According to the article 3 or 4 builders are already happy to bend over for Gibson.

jvin248 likes this.
  7. Badtone

Badtone Supporting Member

Warmoth is licensed by Fender, as is Musikraft I believe, so they can produce necks and bodies with the correct shapes. Don't know about entire guitars...

8. 27sauce

27sauce Member

I have a hunch Echopark is one.
    They’ve been throwing a good amount of Flying V out there in the last couple of weeks.

I dig the bravado, if not.

coltonius and indeedido like this.
  9. Raygun Gothic

Raygun Gothic Member

Acknowledge, I haven't seen except for things like Mighty Mite necks. But I remember one boutique builder saying he'd worked with Fender and had come to an agreement on what he could/couldn't do.

27sauce likes this.
  10. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Maybe it’s more like a Boss/JHS thing?

11. 27sauce

27sauce Member

I don’t know. I have a feeling this kind of partnership wouldn’t have happened without legal threat.

It has a real “or else” vibe to it.
    Mandatory fun/collaboration.

Gevalt, egregion, guitrr and 6 others like this.
  12. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

Sounds like they’re hoping other builders will acknowledge their trademarks before Gibson has to defend them in court. Then they can claim the trademarks they didn’t enforce for decades must still be valid. “Look. So-and-so signed a licensing deal.”

If Gibson really wants to launch a new spirit of collaboration, wouldn’t they drop their pending lawsuits?

hudpucker, Gevalt, egregion and 14 others like this.
  13. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Member

So this is what you do when you know you will lose...

And try to con people into acknowledging your ownership for court use

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  14. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Yeah, ‘cause who doesn’t want to sell less guitars, pay royalties, and co brand with the company you made a name being an alternative to.

Gevalt, lp_bruce, Abram4235 and 6 others like this.
  15. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Member

Next time you see JC, tell him to go pound sand. Im real sorry his predecessors didn't do their jobs, but this ship has sailed. Continuing to beat this horse just makes them look further and further out of touch.

Not that he said anything of consequence

coldstare, Gevalt, Relicula and 11 others like this.
  16. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

I realize you are just the reporter, so this is not directed at you.

But if they dont win their lawsuit, then their designs will be non-exclusive, and there will
    be nothing to license.

They seem to be assuming a lot.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    coldstare, Gevalt, buyusfear and 3 others like this.
  17. JesseKnutson44

JesseKnutson44 Member

Yeah, no worries.

I'm not a lawyer myself - but I believe each trademark would have to be struck down separately - so it would be a lot of lawsuits... And even if one lawsuit is thrown out, it could potentially be because they took so long to fight Dean on it. Again, not a lawyer, so not sure, but I think it's weighing on more than just the Dean lawsuit.

Regardless, as a guitar player, I'm happy to see them at least reaching out to these builders to try and figure something out. Way better than simply handing out lawsuits. Could provide for some cool guitars!

18. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Bill Gates made Microsoft stronger suing some competing companies into penury because they didn't have the cash to pay attorneys for years.

Gibson isn't anywhere as big as MS, but they are bigger than a good bit of their competition. Wonder if this is part of their strategy. Collaborate or plan on spending a big chunk of your next 5 year's budget on legal fees.

I do think the licensing idea has some merit. The ruling on how far their trademark/copyright extends will tell us more.

Gevalt, cbell2112 and Badtone like this.
  19. dmac in SC

dmac in SC Silver Supporting Member

None of this important to the average guy, like me...I just don't get the Gibson hate...Their guitars are historic...those wanting to copy them are not

uab9253, skhan007, InkStained and 4 others like this.
  20. jvin248

jvin248 Member

At this point ... it may be better for Dean/etc to win in court as they have precedent on their side to do so. That way every clone company wins. PRS won a dozen+ years ago on the LP shape.

Next time you talk with JC ... ask about how they are working their R&D department overtime to fix the fragile headstock problem. Forget the 'deals', get the product fixed. There is so much buyer drama out there compared to any other guitar company. Address the weight problem. Those are the two primary complaints of end consumers. What the Gibson management crew is working on are the dealer/retailer gripes "we could sell more guitars if there were no clones!" -- talk to the customers that buy and play those guitars ... or don't buy and don't play those guitars ... about what they really want. I think the big response will be headstock drama, weight issues, and put the open book on Epiphones.

Gevalt, lp_bruce, stratohiker and 4 others like this.