1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Gibson trying to block Collings headstock trademark

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by AllTheFuzz, Jul 14, 2020.

1. AllTheFuzz

AllTheFuzz Member

2. Thesleepstalker

Thesleepstalker Member

3. Plainman

Plainman Member

That’s crazy, the Collings haircut shape isn’t ripping off Gibson at all.

4. disconnector

disconnector It's been swell, but the swelling's gone down. Silver Supporting Member

I can see why Gibson is upset.

Collings is building the guitars that Gibson *wishes* it could build. My City Limits is by far the best Les Paul style guitar that I’ve ever touched. It’s what a Les Paul wants to be when it grows up, gets its PhD, marries a supermodel, and has 12 kids.

I’m not usually one to go here - but if Gibson wins this one or hurts Collings in any way I’ll never purchase another Gibson. Ever. Even used. They will be persona non grata at Casa Del Disconnector.

Jealousy is a hard taskmaster.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  5. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Lawyers are cheap. At least in comparison to getting spanked in the marketplace on quality.

6. The bear

The bear Member

Another BS move from Gibson, they really have no shame. This is the kind of stuff that makes me never want to get a Gibson. I'll stick with my Collings'.

7. TA22GT

TA22GT Member

In my humble opinion I think Collings have made their take on a 3 a side Headstock and made it all their own
    I think it's a very elegant take.

8. djg714

djg714 Member

The Coronet deal maybe... this one is weak.

9. kafka

kafka Member

The only people who will win in this one are Gibson's lawyers. This one seems foolish.

10. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

Well, Collings does build a better Les Paul, 335, Special, and everything else. Not to mention their acoustics are far, far above anything Gibson is putting out.
    I’m surprised Gibson would attack the headstock, though. They don’t stand a chance with that.

11. boo radley

boo radley Member

Well, in fairness, have Collings electrics ever been thought of as anything BUT Gibson clones? (Albeit with immaculate fit and finish?) I have two Collings electrics, and think they're great, but TBH I'm surprised Gibson hasn't come after them long before.

At this point, I think the fight has been completely lost and boutique builders are going to do what...boutique builders do, if they hope to sell. To the benefit of the consumer, yes; not Gibson (nor Fender).

12. PatriotBadger

PatriotBadger Member

Maybe they should set up a toll-free hotline so we can all be Karens and report when something looks even vaguely familiar.

I am learning to truly hate Gibson with a fiery passion. They are desperate, pathetic chumps. All the history, all the imagery, all the fanfare...and at this point I really don't care if they fold and become a distatnt memory. Screw 'em. They deserve it at this point.

13. burton56

burton56 Member

I wonder if Martin will sue Collings.
    Their acoustic headstocks look very similar.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    dogrocketp, gerg6, pak1001 and 3 others like this.
  14. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

15. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Supporting Member

So funny.....lol.

The KKR era is in full swing.

16. John C

John C Silver Supporting Member

The Collings body shape is different enough - larger and rounder - than a Les Paul shape so I think it's outside whatever legal protection Gibson has on the LP body shape (trademark or trade dress - I forget from briefly reading through the ruling on the PRS vs. Gibson original suit and PRS's appeal - plus not a lawyer).

17. The bear

The bear Member

They are far from clones. Some of their designs are very influenced by Gibson, but they have many features and improvements over the traditional Gibson designs.
    They also have several models(Soco, Eastside, Eastside Jazz, CL Jazz, the 360 line) that have no resemblance to Gibson.
    This is not the first time they have tried to go after Collings, but they have not been successful so far.

18. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Supporting Member

I've seen no substantial proof of this, who knows.

There's this dumb idea by the professional managerial class, who only know me-first, that a product like guitars is basically a limited amount of marbles in a bucket. They need to get the law in their favor to make sure X percent of marbles is guaranteed their market share. They don't see the forest through the trees.

Gibson's #1 export market is a country where they freely build the Gibson designs under different names yet ever since Japan's economy got rolling they buy Gibsons like they're breakfast. They're just huge in Japan despite the fact you can get clones at better prices. The same can be said of other nations that allow import of Japanese clones in retail. You can argue the clone builds of the 70's and 80's created the huge interest for the real deal, same can be said for Fender and Martin who also sell massive quantities under various names in Japan.

In America, Martin & Fender still do incredibly well even though both companies designs are built by likely at least 100 other small domestic builders.

I've met many, many people that can barely lick a string who buy boutique guitars out a feeling of attachment to the small company, not because they can't afford the real thing. Their interest lies in the concept of spending their money responsibly and getting all the options they desire with an added sense of community. So, by those companies existing they reach a different market that giant companies can't really please at the same price points.

There is certainly an argument to be made that competition creates a market size so much bigger that consumer interest will be driven up regardless, so a company can increase sales while not needing to corner a finite idea of market share.

The brand strength alone, in these companies, is just massive no matter what the competition.

dogrocketp, Dale, Uncle Dad and 3 others like this.
  19. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

I hear Gibson is suing Firefly guitars over their poorly cut nuts, uneven frets and finish flaws which according to Gibson cause customers to confuse a $125 Firefly with a $10k Gibson Custom Shop guitar.

20. Sam Xavier

Sam Xavier Member

There's a nice crack on the Collings headstock. You'd think they'd release a better photo than that one.