FS Gibson Vintage 1953 to 1959 Les Paul Conversion

Discussion in 'Guitar Emporium' started by buckwild, Jan 12, 2019 at 10:01 PM.

1. buckwild

buckwild Silver Supporting Member

This guitar started life as a 1953 Gibson Les Paul that was sourced by Yuuki McClure at Player Grade Vintage. It had a really bad gold refinish job on the top. When that finish was stripped what was revealed was a beautiful slightly flamed top with a nice amount of mild figuring.

Guitar had some previous holes plugged beautifully by Yuuki and also vintage correct spacing and routing done for humbuckers. He did a vintage correct nitro top resin with aniline color so it fades in sun like the originals. He also misted a bit of the cherry color on the back to bring the 59 vibe full circle.

When I received the guitar I had my tech Mark Brown do a refret using Jescar nickel silver FW45100 and made a new nylon nut.

The parts on the guitar are sorta a mismatch and I don’t have all the full details. What I believe to be original is the poker toggle chip, the pots and caps, as well as the toggle and wires. Also, the truss rod cover seems original. The tuners are Over the Pond tips and look very good. The bridge seems like is a 62-64 wire ABR. Tailpiece looks like a repro. The pickups are Patent Number PAF’s with Purple wire. The rest of parts might be vintage but could also be repro. Hard to tell so please look closely at the photos.

Weight is 8lbs 7.8oz on my digital postal scale. 1st fret neck thickness is .90” and 12th fret is .98”

I have a ton of photos chronicling the conversion process and will provide gallery link to serious interested buyers.

Sold Pending payment.

Guitar will ship in SKB molded hardshell case and the buyer and I can discuss shipping options.

pics: https://joebuchwald.smugmug.com/Guitars/53-Conversion-2019-Pics/i-kq83QJk

Also, I have a ton of photos chronicling the conversion process and will provide gallery link to serious interested buyers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 3:55 PM
    gkelm, jens5, HoboMan and 7 others like this.
  2. ifallalot

ifallalot Supporting Member

Player Grade Vintage is an awesome Instagram to follow

johnpace2, Sloop John B and buckwild like this.
  3. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

4. sedawkgrep

sedawkgrep Supporting Member

A one piece top? Nice guitar!! GLWS!!!

5. buckwild

It's actually not a one piece. You can see the off center seam on the area by the controls.

sedawkgrep likes this.
  6. buckwild