Gibson vintage deluxe mini tuners Best replacement

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by gearhead69, Jul 6, 2008.

1. gearhead69

gearhead69 Member

Looking for some advice on replacement tuners for my 04 ltd standard.
    Recently aquired the guitar couple of weeks back , gigged twice and fought with tuning issues all night. Without having to drill out holes is there a high quality tuner that will easily adapt to the vinatge style.
    Also whats the safe way for removing bushings if necc.
    Thanks for any help

2. operanonverba

operanonverba Silver Supporting Member

I've had good luck with just purchasing the Kluson or Gibson stock replacements. They worked for 4 yearsI think that there are some locking tuners out there that you can buy. I personally would not try to take the busings out unless you think they are worn or need to be replaced. The replacement tuners will most likely have the same bushings and sometimes the nitro will stick to the bushing surface if it was put on while still curing. If you have to, just get a dowel with the same inner diameter as the wood on the back of the headstock and tap it out from the back side. I have used a drill bit instead of a dowel with the chuck end but be careful. Don't try to pry them from the front surface.

3. gearhead69

gearhead69 Member

Thanks for the advice operanonverba. Do you think that the frequency of in and out can be attributed to the tuners? I noticed that the saddles were not notched properly from the factory. Can this affect tonality? It currently has a tune o matic (nashville) and i'm considering replacing with a tonepro tune o matic with graphtek saddles that i happen to have on hand. Whats your thoughts?
    TY

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i can almost guarantee that your problem is not with the tuners, which are excellent gotoh-made keys. tuning issues on a paul are almost always due to pinching and dragging at the nut, which is IMO never cut right at the factory.

getting the slots filed properly and using graphite or some dedicated guitar nut lube in them will likely solve the problem.

5. gearhead69

gearhead69 Member

Cool, thanks walter! I'll try using some 3000 grit sand paper at the nut.

:AOK
    TY

6. walterw

if you have some automotive feeler gauges lying around, pick out sizes a little smaller than the string in question and wrap the sandpaper around them, so that you end up with a "nut file" a little larger than the string. the goal is to make a round-bottomed nut slot that's just barely wider than the string going in it, so the string slides easily through the slot without rattling around in it.

7. operanonverba

operanonverba Silver Supporting Member

In response to your question gearhead, I agree with the other posters on this. I have rarely found that any of my Les Paul tuners or even the MIJ stuff I have were the cause of tuning problems. Nuts are the main cause. I use a nut lube on mine. Not sure of the brand. It is while like lithium grease in a small squeeze bottle. The tuners do wear out sometimes but I would look at the nut and how you are stringing them on the posts.

8. gearhead69

gearhead69 Member

Hey all, Thanks for the great replys. I'm currently trying to get this right. Filed the nut as suggested and have a gig next week so will see how it does. Little background on this guitar. I purchased this gibson from a fellow ebayer who lives in oregon. (low humidity) I live in south florida (high humidity) It seem that the neck has been moving around alot maybe just getting used to the climate change? I've adjusted the neck more than 4x in two weeks. The tuners are mini tuners and i'm using 10 's giving minimal wraps on the posts aprox. low e 2 1/2 a 3 d 3 g 4 b 4 e 4
    So thats the short/skinny
    Thanks again

9. walterw

that wrap ratio sounds about right.

10. khans52

khans52 Member

All,

I've been trying to find answers to the same dilemna with 'getting out of tune'. I bought my dream guitar (i.e., my faded tobacco '58 VOS LP) a little while back and was ready to experience perfection on a guitar. Yet, everytime I played it I would last about 1.25 songs in with my band and it would be pulling out of tune. After some talks with some guys at my local Guitar Center (I didn't buy it from them, got it through a dealer in Chicago), I heard that 'the factory strings stink, you should replace them.' So I started there, replaced them with Ernie Balls, stretched them, gave them Dunlop string conditioner, the works. I thought my issue was fixed, but I may now get 1.5 songs without the da*& thing coming out of tune. My latest answer to the problem was to buy Gibson factory Grover tuners. I just cracked them open ouy of their plastic container, pulled off my G tuner (which is, IMO, the biggest out of tune offender on by my Gibson SG and this LP), and was trying to figure out how to pop out the metal sheath when I came upon this blog. I keep reading that it seems to be the 'nut' and perhaps my tuners are actually OK. So before I do some major overhaul on tuners, I suspect the nut treatment may be the way to go. But I really don't understand how to do what everyone's talking about in terms of boring out the nut, etc. Would the best bet for me be to find a reputable repair shop (I live in Northern VA) and tell them I need the nut serviced? Will they understand what that means? Is there a way I should say it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This LP is - by far - the most expensive guitar in my 6 guitar collection and yet it is the one I currently like the least. I'm dying to get this guitar working the way it's supposed to so I can enjoy it for what it's made to do.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
    -Ken

11. HipKitty

HipKitty Silver Supporting Member

+1000!