Gibson VOS...Holy Smokes!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Killcrop, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Gibson has finally got it right. I played a new VOS Saturday and was blown away at how perfect the set up was. Played like an Anderson right out of the box. Unreal. Even the nut was cut right.

2. Reeek

Reeek Member

Aren't those Pleked?

3. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

4. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Member

Just got a new '58VOS.........same thing.....flawless playability right out of the case. Fretwork is like jewelry. :RoCkInOnly had to be tuned twice the first week! Sold a PRS McCarty and haven't looked back......the Burstbuckers absolutely smoked the Mc.

5. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Silver Supporting Member

Now if they only kept the flame tops.................

6. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Bizarre Guitar has a bunch of them, they really do play great. They are pleked. I haven't check one out through an amp yet.

BTW, this Thursday night we are at the Hacienda and Friday night at Crystal Bay
    :D

7. Reeek

Reeek Member

Hi, Gilbert :)

I'll check you out at the Hacienda on Thursday ;)

8. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

Now you have to pay the extra for an R9 or R0 to get the nice tops.

:puh

9. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

The finish seems "dull" to me too. The tops I saw very very plain with dull finishes. Glad I have my Historic:AOK

10. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Member

The plek is an amazing thing!

11. GuffMorgan

GuffMorgan Member

I do enjoy how everyone talks about how dull the tops look, but when I got my VOS SG I polished the top with carnauba wax it went from dull to nice and shiney like the normal SG. That leads me to believe that that's all you would have to do with the LP's as well. I'll know in the next couple of weeks whenever I get a VOS LP I guess.

12. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I love my VOS R8!! Plaintops rule!!

[​IMG]

13. Rob Livesey

Rob Livesey Member

14. lv

lv Supporting Member

+1 Dave, one of the best historics I've owned. Taking it in today to have some WCR's put in, but honestly, it sounds and plays great as is.

15. ruby7829

ruby7829 Supporting Member

Just got a VOS '57 Junior. It's unreal. Thanks to the PLEK the intonation is nearly perfect (which is quite a feat considering it's a wraparound bridge).For me the finish actually looks perfect. The only problem was that whatever they use to dull the finish made the neck a touch sticky. A little polish and now it's smooth as silk.

16. lv

lv Supporting Member

Gorgeous!

17. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

Same here, never been a great fan of lesters, but my new 58 VOS was perfect out from the box.
    The guitar sounds gorgeous on the bridge position. On the neck sounds good...but that BB1 is too dark IMO
    Here she is:
    [​IMG]

18. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

Also just got a 58 VOS. Just cranked it up at practice yesterday for the first time. Sounded and played great!

19. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

at the risk of being ridiculed for my ignorance...
    what is "Pleked"?
    just to note that the link for the current VOS guitars listed above somehow does not include the killer '54 lester custom "fretless wonder". that alnico is killer on that all mahogany body.

20. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

I've read they buff up too. However I've got a real bone to pick with Gibson here. We're talking a $2000+ guitar here. I shouldn't HAVE to "Buff it out" to make it look FINISHED. The R7 VOS I looked at appeared to have some checking too, which you can't buff out.

IMO VOS is a veiled attempt at cutting costs and raising the price. The PLEK in the end probably reduces cost in fretwork (Though with the results no reason to complain here!) and now if you want Gibson to do the final polishing steps so they look shiny and NEW just like every other guitar on the rack that will be an upcharge please.

If Gibson's QC was better, perhaps I could order a Shiny VOS with confidence. How PISSED would I be though if it sucked and I couldn't return it? So much for trying it out in the store! Many feel Historics are overpriced as it is (Well, at least the R9's) and it just turns me off to Gibson even more with VOS. Don't get me wrong, I STILL WANT ONE, but it's the principle of the whole thing.

It'd be one thing if the "Aged" look was an OPTION with no upcharge either way, but the idea of this being the "Standard" finish, and the buffed out one as an upcharge seems backward to me. If it was a no upcharge option, then stores would PROBABLY carry both, or perhaps Gibson did it that way because they felt dealers wouldn't go for the aged finish? *sigh*

Some of us prefer to do our OWN "Relicing." :BITCH

As far as I'm concerned since the new VOS looks USED anyway, just buy a USED historic and send it to a competant plek shop. IMO it's the same thing for alot less. I've got other thoughts on the matter too, but that's enough for now.