Gibson VOS vs. Authentic vs. Historic vs. Reissue

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Droptop, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

Gibson VOS vs. Authentic vs. Historic vs. Reissue - What is the difference? It seems they keep coming up with a new name for the same thing. Getting lost in all the names.

2. Red Suede

Red Suede Member

I only know what I paid for with mine (a Historic, reliced by Tom Murphy with a Brazillian board) is Tom Murphy's expertise with Les Paul tones, going down the line cherrypicking out the best ones to his ear and relicing them. It just so happens that my idea of a good Les Paul tone coincides with his, so that's what I paid for.(A lot of money)

3. moozak

moozak Member

dunno all the diff's for sure... but... i do know that the latest VOS series has been pleked for pefect fret level and supposed perfectly cut nut (with the same plek machine). that's certainly a couple of very nice additional features (in my book).

4. GuffMorgan

GuffMorgan Member

VOS, Historic, and Reissue are all 3 different names for essentially the same thing, basically all 3 are an attempt at releasing a guitar that is as close to original specs of the time period as possible. VOS is just the new version of the Historic Reissue (R7's, R8's, R9's, etc.), except like was just mentioned, the VOS line is plekked, but my understanding is that now everything coming out of the Gibson Custom Shop is plekked, though I could be wrong. Not sure on the Custom Authentics, though.

5. LesPaulMan

LesPaulMan Member

The Gibson Historic series is the same as the Reissues (as was stated).
    When people talk about R8's and R9's, they are referring to 1958 and 1958 Les Paul reissues that mimic very closely the originals (which they really don't, but are still great guitars).

The Authentic series is the artificial aging of the guitar. They take a new Gibson, and simply don't buff it out to a full glossy finish. Additionally, they usually put in a few dings here and there. The hardware is also slighty tarnished. It is my experience that these guitars tend to have better looking tops, nicer/lighter weights, and perhaps a little more resonance in their sound. It seems that they might actually pick these guitars out of a bunch, but this is only my opinion. The Authentic models, also known as "Custom Authentic" are more costly then the VOS guitars. (The upcharge is around $300).

The VOS series is the new finish for all Gibson Historic guitars as of 2006. It is similiar to the Authentic in that the finish is not glossy, and the hardware is a little tarnished. No dings put on though. These guitars also get setup using a Plek machine. Helps in getting the intonation and action perfect for a specific guitar.

It's believed that Gibson went with the VOS treatment to save on the cost of labor. Mainly, that of a final buffing. Also, if you want a new Gibson without the VOS finish, it's a $300 upcharge for a high gloss finish. (Which was the standard finish up until this year).

6. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Its called Gibson marketing...........Its just another way to resell the same package over and over. Sort of like a bands greatest hits package. Same **** just a different Box. I hear the Gibson Plek machine is making a big difference. Gibson should Give everyone who bought a new Gibson guitar in the last 2 years a Free Plek Job to make up for the **** they tried to pass off as Custom Shop.

7. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

It's obvious that you despise Gibson, judging by this, and every other post you make concerning them. How 'bout just giving it a rest for a while? It's really getting old. Tom

8. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Hey Tom.........Notice I didn't Piss on the guys thread enjoying his Historics.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=154149

Stop looking at what I do and start looking at what I don't do. I NEVER diss anyones personal instrument or Gibson appriciation threads. This is a thread asking for an opinion and I will give it EVERY time its asked.

Excuse me now...........I had Mexican take out for dinner and I gotta go make a Gibson.........:moon

9. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

LOL! FWIW, I love Gibson's guitars and have quite a few...but I hate their dumb ass management.

10. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I guess that's what the Ignore button is for? :moon

11. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    Did anyone force Gibson buyers over the past 2 years to buy any crappy guitars?

12. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

No..........but they tried. They tried to get rid of the competition by suing PRS and giving us less options. By cutting out Dealers who have less overhead and can offer us better deals on the Net. Not letting us get the best price instead just giving us less and less for more more more. Finally they realized they are better off spending the money on a Plek Machine and actually offering people a better instrument was a better way to go. [​IMG]

13. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

That a way to get the message Flavum!! :crazyguyIt went so far over your head you have footprints on your scalp..........

14. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

Only Gibson can verify if that's true, but it is CERTAINLY my belief! I'm glad someone ELSE said it before people start calling me crazy again. :NUTS

15. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    I agree with most everything you've said above.

I think complaining about quality problems and NOT buying crappy quality products is the most effective way to get any manufacturer to focus on improving their products. So I say complain all you want!
    :D

I'm only saying that customers that buy crappy quality (and someone was buying lots of Gibsons in the past few years when reports of quality problems seemed to be very high) would seem to be reinforcing the fact that Gibson can put out crap and it won't matter to customers.

Regardless, I think we both agree that Gibson thankfully got the message from somebody, and seems to have turned a corner on quality.
    :AOK

16. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

10-4 on all of the above. :AOK But I still think it would be a class move to offer a free Plek Job on every Historic or CustomShop guitar sold in the last 2 yrs. Customers pay shipping both ways. It would certainly be a step in the right direction on rebuilding thier reputation with a Ton of people.

17. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

The thing on Gibson quality is that with all the complaints the percentage of good Gibsons has still been better than 50%, probably better than 80% from what I've seen. So there have still been some great new Gibsons on the market in the last few years.

If you avoid Gibsons at places like GC and Musician's fiend the number of good Gibsons increase exponentially imho. I think the convergence of big guitar company with a big retail chain and wharehouse is just asking for QC troubles.

The other side of that coin is that we all have different levels of what we'll tolerate in a new guitar. Some of the issues that PRS lovers complain about with Gibsons are the same things that make the anal vintage types happy (the back stain bleeding onto the binding is one example). Not that I'm excusing bad fret jobs. The LP's headstock angle contributes greatly to the strings binding on an LP's nut and that has always been an issue with LPs. Hopefully the PLEK will reduce that problem, though I'm not sure if it does anything with the nut.

For myself if a guitar looks good at two feet away, sounds good, and plays well then I'm happy. I've been playing guitar for almost 30 years and I can't even tell you what orange peel is. Maybe my ignorance is bliss, but I've found some Gibbies that made me very happy these last few years.

Hopefully, the PLEK machines will start showing up on Gibson's regular production line as well. I understand why some think Plekking is an over hyped process, but IMHO those things are perfect for a manufacturer turning out several 18 wheelers full of guitars every month.

Just my .02

:YinYang

18. Droptop

Classic, I'll have to remember that one. I think, as with all manufacturers, you have to try out several guitars to get the right one. The changing of names just sends a lot of mixed signals (ie this vintage reissue is better than the last). I wish Gibson would save us all the aggrevation and get it right from the start. If you are spending more than $2000 on an instrument, no corners should have been cut.

Dumb question, but is there a place you can send your guitar to have it pleked? I honestly, don't know what is involved.

19. TestierWheat

TestierWheat Member

Yes, you can send your guitar to be plek'd. However, the best results occur when you're involved in the process.

I've had three guitars plek'd by Phil Jacoby at Philtone in Baltimore, MD. Phil takes the time to watch how you play in order to get the best fret level and dress for you.

The results are amazing. My guitars have never played or sounded better. It's not cheap, but it is worth it IMO.

20. Droptop

What is the price range?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.