• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Gibson vs PRS vs Fender vs ??

Izy

I think its a whole lot of things that an individual likes - tone being the first, weight, feel, playability, neck profile, body contours.......

All these things make up to make us prefer one guitar over the other.

Thats my 2 cents on the whole thing

phoenix 7

Plus, your comment " I hate the way PRSs look." is my favorite of the whole thread. So many, myself included, just adore all thay eye candy. Just reinforces the fact that we all hear / see things so differently.....and THAT is what interests me and was what prompted my initial post.
Cool - vive la difference! :BEER

And I think it's totally valid to post a sincere question asking why other people like something that you don't really care for. There's always a chance that one is missing something.

ssimon64

I like les pauls alot, My first electric guitar was a les paul. But I think the punch, sparkle, clarity, or whatever you want to call it, of a fender really does it for me. I have yet to play an electric guitar that I like better than my strat.

I've played a few PRS's but I haven't owned any.

Mike ODS50

I got rid of my McCarty to get an LP. I think the McCarty was supposed to be a tribute to the 50s LP, but in a PRS sort of way. It didn't sound enough like an LP for me.
Thats because the McCarty was never made to sound like an LP. In no way was that the intention of PRS and Ted McCarty when they designed it...it is a completely original instrument...thus the different sound.

If PRS were trying to make the McCarty sound like a Les Paul it would have had a shorter scale length, a completely different body thickness and SHAPE, a different neck angle and bridge set up and totally different electronics.

You say comparing Fender to PRS is like apples to oranges...well so is comparing Gibson to PRS. I have owned and still own PRSi, Fenders, and Gibson I love them all, they all sound and play differently...you either like them or you don't...it works for you or it does not.

Can we please stop beating this dead horse with a 2x4 and move on!
:horse

HeeHaw

I love my strats over my R7, so I got rid of the R7 goltop for a fendre CS strat. The goldtop just hit the inputs too hard and didn't intonate properly for me, not to mention the flat crowns on the frets.:messedup

Huckleberry

Thats because the McCarty was never made to sound like an LP. In no way was that the intention of PRS and Ted McCarty when they designed it...it is a completely original instrument...thus the different sound.

If PRS were trying to make the McCarty sound like a Les Paul it would have had a shorter scale length, a completely different body thickness and SHAPE, a different neck angle and bridge set up and totally different electronics.

You say comparing Fender to PRS is like apples to oranges...well so is comparing Gibson to PRS. I have owned and still own PRSi, Fenders, and Gibson I love them all, they all sound and play differently...you either like them or you don't...it works for you or it does not.

Can we please stop beating this dead horse with a 2x4 and move on!
:horse

The McCarty was, in fact, PRS's attempt to produce an instrument similar to vintage Gibsons. Not ape the LP, per se, but it was a nod to that era of instruments and the contribution Ted McCarty made to them.

phoenix 7

"PRSi" - I've always enjoyed that. It's the Latin plural, right? Instead of saying "Fenders" and "Gibsons," I think everyone should say "Fenderi" and "Gibsoni."

Joe_Steeler

This type of thread is one that inevitably will always end up in some sort of opinion salad since everyone prefers something and someone else will not agree with that selection.
There are MANY great guitar makers out there and equal number of great guitars to select from. Thank goodness for selection.

My fav:

- Fender Strats (a classic)
- Tom Anderson (exquisite)
- Charvel (Strat heads, so simple so yummy)
- PRS (on a class by itself)
- Suhr (a master at work)

Mike ODS50

The McCarty was, in fact, PRS's attempt to produce an instrument similar to vintage Gibsons. Not ape the LP, per se, but it was a nod to that era of instruments and the contribution Ted McCarty made to them.
This is true:BEER , but the goal was not to make a guitar that sounds like an LP. It was to make a guitar with a vintage but yet original sound and vibe.

billstets stated that the McCarty, "did not sound enough like an LP for me.", and that is because it is not supposed to. If you want a guitar that sounds like a Les Paul...you get a Les Paul.:) I really fail to see the confusion on this matter.

So once again, for the sake of our childrens, unborn childrens, children can we stop beating the poor dead horse? :horse

:rotflmao

I'm generally a super strat player. But I do own a PRS Mccarty . I didn't even want a PRS and when I played this thing, I was really amazed at the sound. I find it to be more versatile than many les pauls that i have played. I also find it more comfortable. If I want it to be darker, all I have to do is move the tone knob. So many guys have tone knobs that they refuse to use:crazy

On the other hand, I tried two PRS single cutts. And while they are nice guitars, I do prefer the sound of a good Les Paul slightly. Althogh it's a ver close race, there is some kind of mojo in a good les paul that the PRS doesn't have. ANd perhaps the PRS Single Cut jsut didn't have hte right pickups. I wouldn't doubt that I could re pickup a PRS single cut and be happier with the sound.

Mike ODS50

"PRSi" - I've always enjoyed that. It's the Latin plural, right? Instead of saying "Fenders" and "Gibsons," I think everyone should say "Fenderi" and "Gibsoni."
LOL:roll It's really just because it looks weird:

PRSs.......looks like a typo.

PRSi.........obviously plural.

Huckleberry

This is true:BEER , but the goal was not to make a guitar that sounds like an LP. It was to make a guitar with a vintage but yet original sound and vibe.

billstets stated that the McCarty, "did not sound enough like an LP for me.", and that is because it is not supposed to. If you want a guitar that sounds like a Les Paul...you get a Les Paul.:) I really fail to see the confusion on this matter.

So once again, for the sake of our childrens, unborn childrens, children can we stop beating the poor dead horse? :horse

Yep. The McCarty does have a vintage type feel & tone, but it's...different. Which is why I got mine.

Does that make sense? It does to me!

grego7

has left the building
Platinum Supporting Member
I've owned a few strats, never owned a Gibson. The guitar that I own right now is a PRS Custom 22 with an unfinished rosewood neck. I just love the way that the neck feels. I replaced the pickups with SD custom custom in the bridge and Alnico II in the neck. Has a pull pot to split coils. Doesn't sound like a Gibson or a Strat when compared directly, but has a great humbucking sound as well as single coil sound. Neck pickup with the tone knob turned down into a clean amp gives a very good jazz tone. Plus, the neck just feels the best to me out of any other guitars I've played. In my opinion, this guitar represents the best of all possible worlds to me. But then again, I'm not trying to "nail" someone else's sound.

morlll

I think he was just asking for opions.

I love my older Tele (68) It's a great guitar. Solid as a rock. The action is really low and the neck is great.

My Les Paul Standard Le Goldtop is really nice it sounds great and has a great neck. I'm used to the weight now. My Tele is not that much lighter.

I have a Guild Bluesbird that is beautiful. I bought it when I was anti Les Paul, I hadn't found my Goldtop yet and didn't like most LPs that I had played. It's a great guitar. a good deal also. Mine is one of the last made in R.I. That's good or bad depending on who you talk to.:)

I've a friend that has a PRS 22 with the birds and all. I've played for a set or 2. It's beautiful has a nice neck sounds great. It doesn't do it for me though. Might just be the lack of body weight. I won't buy one.

I've also got a cheap Strat, it's a parts guitar, American parts (not that it matters). It's a regular Strat. It does all it's supposed to. My first good electric was a 57 Strat way back in the 60's. So I've a place in my heart for Strats. I like them. Strats that is. I've played 60's Strats that were crap. Old isn't always great. Some junk is still junk. Let the collectors buy old junk.

I really like the LP I've got. I've played lots of other LPs I don't want.
I keep trying Specials because I'd like a P90 guitar. Every one I've played feels like crap.

I was blown away at a store in S.F. by a Trussart rusty Tele. It killed. I was handed it and thought it was a POS. I was wrong it played and sounded beautiful.

I also would like a 336 346 or 356. I played a couple and they were all really nice.

Tony Rice Santa Cruz and a Larivee something or other. I like the look and feel of 000 models, but they sound like ukuleles.

Some opinions. No flames involved.

zumaboy

From a card that came with the documentation on my '98 McCarty Rosewood:

"In late 1992, Texas guitarist David Grissom called and asked us to build him a guitar that sounded like 'Duane Allman live at the Fillmore'... This guitar, a culmination of Ted's history and teachings, has become the 'McCarty Model'..."

So, yeah, a nod to Ted McCarty's innovations while at Gibson, and a stab toward a particular lead tone (from a PRS point of view). When I want ultimate fat-sounding, low-end chunk, I reach for my LP. But my McCarty does have that singing, articulate lead guitar voice. So obviously everyone needs both, right? :rotflmao

BTW, since the guitar was inspired by Duane's Fillmore tone, I guess a set of Fillmore pup's in a McCarty would make a logical upgrade... :drool

mykljpao

I think he was just asking for opions.

I have a Guild Bluesbird that is beautiful. I bought it when I was anti Les Paul, I hadn't found my Goldtop yet and didn't like most LPs that I had played. It's a great guitar. a good deal also. Mine is one of the last made in R.I. That's good or bad depending on who you talk to.:)

Some opinions. No flames involved.

Ahh, thank you, a breath of fresh air. Someone who actually does get the intent of the original post (actually a number of responses address the "why" and thanks to those that did).

This has nothiing to do with what is "best". There is no "best" as it it totally subjective. One thing I find interesting is that what to many of you is "low end chunk" on the LP is to me somewhat muddy and cloudy in the mix and the "low end" that some find missing in prs translates to clarity for me.

I also have a Bluesbird. Bought it from a friend, basically as a favor but also because it had a great neck carve (very similar to early '60's lp/sg) and was chambered (I've been on a chambered kick lately. Recently picked up a Suhr chambered tele from the emporium, NAMM guitar, I believe. Stunning looks, superb build and unique voice). I don't think much of the Guild pups and was going to use it as a project guitar but haven't gotten around to messing with it yet primarily because I haven't sorted out what I want for pups. Looking for something I don't have such as Lollar Imperials, but definitely with a paf flavor. These guitars deserve more recognition; excellent quality, gorgeous flame, light weight due to the chambering, ugly contol knobs though, lol.

I also find it interesting to see how the perception of design can vary widely ie; the McCarty.

Absolutely no flames involved, just some (hopefully) intellectual discourse.

ssimon64

Screw that dead horse! Beat the hell out of him!

:horse :horse

Colt

I love them all......HUGE Les Paul guy, wish I had a nice 59RI....

that being said, I play a McCarty Rosewood. It's perfect right out of the box...BUT I DO miss the gibson scale length AND seperate volume and tone knobs for each pickup.....

Fender pisses me off alot with thier priceing (so does gibson, but I think that's obvious to everyone...)....I mean, I have wanted a few CS pieces....but didn't have the cash at the time. BUT, only about 1/2 of the guitars they build are worth what they ask.....masterbuilt is different, but I'm not paying that much for a bolt on guitar with no special appointments. I want one, but I have to draw the line.....no new technology in them, no special anything...except one builder built it......you know, back in the day a strat (the one's they're trying to clone) cost about equivelent to 2-3 grand in todays money....so anything more than that (for standard options) is crazy (for a bolt on neck guitar)

jijoe

I am trying to love my Custom 22.

It's a great instrument to play. But I find that it's neither one thing or another. It's well made, it looks good, it cost a lot of money, lots of people love them. It just fails to inspire me - while my strat does.

I was looking for a mahogany bodied guitar with character - but not a LP. I hate the idea of paying a fortune for instruments as a matter of principle. More than half your cash has to be going into hype and hysteria right? However, I went for a PRS. To my ears the sound is kind of nasal and un-fulfiling - less complex and interesting than I hoped it would be. It's certainly not significantly better than many guitars I've had in the past. Had a Jap Ibanez Artist once - many moons ago - that was a better instrument in my view.

I found this discussion looking for commentary on alternatives to PRS. There clearly some very knowledgeable guys (and gals presumably) on this thread.

If not PRS or Gibson LP - what? Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
No particular favourite players or target sounds. Just nice, interesting, complex and inspirational tone required.

(I know that 'you just have to find the right instrument for you man' - and all that - it's just ideas on what to look at I am interested in).

Many thanks

J

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
I've got the mahogany body American Series HSS Strat. That give you most of the classic Strat tones, plus the humbucker in the bridge and the S1 switch gives some other pseudo-humbucker tones. Very flexible.

I just ordered, but haven't received a Schecter Blackjack ATX. I don't know much about it, but a similar guitar in Guitar Center seemed excellent.

American Deluxe Strats with the SCN pickups and S1 switching give you all kinds of sounds, both classic Strat and humbucker type sounds.

Heritage makes some great imitation Gibson guitars, arguably as nice as or better than the guitars they copy.

Like you, I've owned a few PRS guitars, and while they're no doubt excellent, I didn't really feel them either.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom