• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Gibson: what a let down.

eurotrashed

So I planned on getting a Gibson SG Classic when I start working again. The SG has been one of the coolest looking guitars ever in my book, and I knew I want the P90 sound.

Guitar Center still has one so I got it down, and its been awhile since I played an SG, and I never realized how long it feels when you are sitting down. It feels like a 25.5" scale guitar but the frets are close together.

So I grabbed a Les Paul Studio down and I am back to the feel I am used to. Except the heal isn't as comfy as the SG. But it feels like a 24.75 scale like what I like. But the frets were nasty and it was "faded" finish which I do not like

What I currently have is an Washburn WI64PL which combines the thin feel and easy upper access of the SG with the shorter feel of the Les Paul.

But I want an iconic Gibson guitar that I have lusted after for years.

Do the double cutaway Les Pauls feel like a Les paul or SG in terms of overall length? I know there is no heal per say, so I wasn't sure if the total length was made longer like an SG because of this.

If so, where can I get a non-faded double cutaway Les Paul with P90s. A glossy finish, I can't stand the faded. It doesn't have to be a Gibson, but it has to look like one, all mahogony construction, preferably flat top in TV Yellow or Cherry... Should I look at Tokai?

dazco

The SG feels longer because it is!!! The neck attaches to the body further back. Notice the bridge is closer to the neck than a LP? Thats why.

eurotrashed

The SG feels longer because it is!!! The neck attaches to the body further back. Notice the bridge is closer to the neck than a LP? Thats why.
Yeah. Is the Double cut Les Paul the same way or is it like a Les Paul? Because I know the DC has nearly no heal so I wasn't sure if they mounted the body back further like a SG

calpa94

I have an SG and when I bought it I thought the guy put 11's on it instead of 10's. It felt stiffer than my old edwards les paul with the same strings.

pcovers

Les Paul Special DC '60 VOS. Bought one new about three weeks ago. Feels great, looks great, P90s sound wonderful. Could not be happier and I am not a Gibson tool. Haven't owned a GIbson in 20 years. This model was a great reintroduction. Does not "feel" as long as an SG (which was my first real guitar in 1972). It has that great upper reach though. If they are all like this one, you could not lose.

PFCG

id probably buy a hamer instead, or a thorn if you could swing the cashola!

eurotrashed

Whoa. I thought Hamers were expensive USA made guitars. And "Slammer" were their cheaper import. I found on the Hamer site the Studio P-90 which seems interesting but it is $330 online. WTF?!

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
Try this guitar. Seriously, try one. It doesn't have the girth of a LP, it's more in the SG camp, but it plays and sounds fine.

DAREDEVIL 290 SPECIFICATIONS
BODY
solid korina. 16-1/4" x 12-7/8" x 1-3/4".
PICKUPS
two Reverend P90's, output/tone calibrated for each position. Hum cancelling when combined.
NECK
glued-on, one-piece korina, tilt-back headstock.
TRUSS ROD
dual-action, access at headstock.
SCALE
24-3/4".
FINGERBOARD
rosewood, 12" radius, single-layer binding, pearloid block inlays.
FRETS
22 medium jumbo.
NECK PROFILE
medium oval.
NUT
1-11/16" (42.86 mm) width, graphite.
TUNERS
Reverend Pin-Lock Tuners.
BRIDGE
TOM w/ stop tail.
CONTROLS
custom volume & tone, Bass Contour, 3-way.
STRINGS
10-46. LIST PRICE $849

Last edited:

Axekisser

Try this guitar. Seriously, try one. It doesn't have the girth of a LP, it's more in the LP camp, but it plays and sounds fine.

DAREDEVIL 290 SPECIFICATIONS

BODY

solid korina. 16-1/4" x 12-7/8" x 1-3/4".
PICKUPS

two Reverend P90's, output/tone calibrated for each position. Hum cancelling when combined.
NECK

glued-on, one-piece korina, tilt-back headstock.
TRUSS ROD

dual-action, access at headstock.
SCALE

24-3/4".
FINGERBOARD

rosewood, 12" radius, single-layer binding, pearloid block inlays.
FRETS

22 medium jumbo.
NECK PROFILE

medium oval.
NUT

1-11/16" (42.86 mm) width, graphite.
TUNERS

Reverend Pin-Lock Tuners.
BRIDGE

TOM w/ stop tail.
CONTROLS

custom volume & tone, Bass Contour, 3-way.
STRINGS

10-46. LIST PRICE $849
I love my Reverend also! Very nice- Joe does a great job!

eurotrashed

Is that US or import model?
We need a Hamer expert in this thread.

I am very confused. The Studio P90 I found for sale is an import... but an inport version isn't listed on Hamer's site.

But I see on the HC reviews that the Special P90s sell for cheap used, and it doesn't make sense that they can sell this cheap if they are USA made.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Do the double cutaway Les Pauls feel like a Les paul or SG in terms of overall length?
LP DC feels in between to me. SG's (generally, and I think diff models vary) push the neck to the left too far, not as bad as a Firebird, but require a shift to access my playing position. LP is OK, DC is noticeably, but tolerably, shifted, the access is better with that heel design, but they may tend to neck-heavy balance due to strap anchor location.

As usual YMMV.

benjammin420

Is the Double cut Les Paul the same way or is it like a Les Paul?
Look at where the strap buttons are on LPs, DC Lps and Sgs, there all in different spots which affect the way they balance (when wearing a strap) when you play them. I love SGs too, but they feel weird after playing a strat for a long time. DCs would be in between the SG and LP and terms of balance. Ive had all 3 and like the single cut LP design the best for me

eurotrashed

Look at where the strap buttons are on LPs, DC Lps and Sgs, there all in different spots which affect they way the balance of your body when you play them. I love SGs too, but they feel weird after playing a strat for a long time. DCs would be in between the SG and LP and terms of balance. Ive had all 3 and like the single cut LP design the best for me
I was playing sitting down.

And I always have found that the Les Paul feels the same way standing or sitting

benjammin420

ok, then in that case, Lps and DC have the same kind of cutaway on the bottom which would rest on your leg about the same

Trending Topics