Gibson - what happened?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mikeowen17, Feb 28, 2015.

1. mikeowen17

mikeowen17 Supporting Member

I know the whole 'Gibson bashing' thing gets done to death on here, but here is my addition.

Went to GC today to pick up a cheap distortion pedal to handle the territory my KTR can't. Ended up going for a used MXR Super Badass Dist - for which they passed me a new LP Standard to try it out.

Can't believe how 'cheap' the LP felt - thick, plasticky finish and the whole guitar felt clunky and head heavy (made worse by all the auto tuning stuff on the headstock).

I know the 90s werent exactly the poster child for Gibson quality but I played many new ones around that time (and owned an '01 classic for a while) and they sure didn't feel like that.

What happened??

2. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Silver Supporting Member

Robots started playing guitar, so now Gibson is marketing to them.:bonk

3. mikeowen17

mikeowen17 Supporting Member

Haha - makes sense, guess it just wasn't made for this fleshy bag-o-bones!

4. gibsonES330

gibsonES330 Member

90's Gibsons are very highly regarded these days.

5. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

I've had the opposite observation. Having recently acquired a 2015 LP Classic I thought the LP's I played were quite nicely made and was impressed with most of them.

6. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

Sorry, but that tuning system doesn't add any considerable weight, especially enough to make it feel head heavy.

7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

(Filing this thread away for reference for the next cheap guitar bashing thread) :hide

8. treedroppings

treedroppings Member

They gave you a bad one. So that they can keep the others newer.

9. sws1

sws1 Member

As with EVERY company, price goes up, quality and cost of goods goes down. This is order to keep profits at a consistent level.

Then again, they still have quality. It's called the custom shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

10. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

You judge an entire company from one guitar?

Good thing it wasn't Ibanez.

11. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

To the contrary...90s Gibsons are quite good.

12. OiRogers

OiRogers Member

Hrmmm... The couple of 2015 Gibsons I've toyed with have been very well built.
    Fit and finish seems better than the couple of years prior, however the changes to the 2015 lineup make me not want to buy one.

I'll go used without the auto tuner thingy stuff thanks.

13. Patient of Dr. Z

Patient of Dr. Z Member

Nothing to say about the quality of Gibsons these days, either way. But I will say I'm jealous that your GC handed you a 2015 Les Paul. My GC keeps those guitars hanging on the upper row, way out of the reach of grubby hands.

14. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Gibson is doing a great, great job on the Historics, Collector's Choice, and Signature/Artist models. Flat out stellar job if you ask me. I own a few.

I do not have any interest in the other models. The few that I played, were quickly put back on the rack. Didn't do it for me at all.

15. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

They should all be the same quality wise. As it's a whole lot easier to fashion a guitar than it was say fifty or so years ago.

16. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

Im no Gibson fan (Ive seen Historics with inexcusable flaws) but, Ive said it before and will say it again:

You simply cannot judge a guitar that costs over ~$500 by any example you play at Guitar Center. Period.

17. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

I can't speak for this year's offerings, but I've got a 2012 Les Paul Junior Special that's a fabulous guitar- beautiful finish, feel, and tone. It's the only guitar I ever bought new, and I don't have any complaints about it. (And I've owned many Gibsons on and off over the last 20 years and still own a '79 Standard.)

18. kbgear

kbgear Member

Agreed about judging guitars at GC. But they do magnify real issues. I also had a similar "clunky" experience with a couple of '15s at a very good store in LA, not GC.

Given the new wider fretboard but same string width, these guitars feel very different than everything else out there IMHO. But it's like a step backwards: more string spacing makes sense, but this?... Not to me.

[​IMG]

And I'm not sure any luthier would look at that and say "That's fine." But that's just me. :)

That being said, I had an amazing experience with the guys manning the vintage room at the sunset strip GC in Hollywood. They talked me into playing a (real) '55 Black Beauty LP through a '62 brown Super, even though I made it clear it was out of my league. IMHO, GC's management (down to the store managers) aren't proving themselves worthy of their employees.

FWIW!

19. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member