Gibson wiring harness

jmccann040878

Recently I just purchased a set of SD Whole Lotta Humbucker for both my 2016 Les Paul, and SG. I've seen all these aftermarket wiring harness forsale on eBay and I just purchased one to replace the PCB board that is in my SG, but I just wanted to know if it's really necessary to replace the harness in my LP? I bought some .22 Sprague Orange drop caps to replace the ceramic disks and thought about calling it good at that. Do I need to replace the pots as well or are the Gibson pots of good quality? I provided a pic of my wiring harness, and a pic of the specs that Gibson has posted on there site. Does anyone have any advice or knowledge they can pass along?

bartmcartman

Gold Supporting Member
You should be fine with what's in there. Gibson has been using audio taper pots lately and they've been mostly measuring right about 500k give or take a few. They do have a quick taper but clean up very well. I would try it as is first.

Tim Plains

Those Gibson pots are rated at 500K but some can actually be lower in the 420K - 450K range. Good aftermarket pots are rated at 550K with a 10% tolerance to guarantee a 500K end result. I don't know, can you hear the difference between a 450K and 500K pot?

The taper is definitely better on the aftermarket pots I've purchased.

TrevorW

Silver Supporting Member
You'll notice that 500k volume pots will be noticeably brighter than the 300k stock pots.

MKB

Gold Supporting Member
I'd replace those ceramic caps as well, a decent quality poly cap should be fine. Don't know if I'd spend the money for bumblebees, but YMMV. While you are in there and replacing caps, might be worth experimenting with 50s wiring to see if you like it. Just keep the wiring as is, but connect the cap lead to the center lug of the volume pot.

jmccann040878

I'd replace those ceramic caps as well, a decent quality poly cap should be fine. Don't know if I'd spend the money for bumblebees, but YMMV. While you are in there and replacing caps, might be worth experimenting with 50s wiring to see if you like it. Just keep the wiring as is, but connect the cap lead to the center lug of the volume pot.
What difference will moving the cap lead to the middle lug on the volume pot have over where it is soldered to now?

Jason_77

You don't have to change any of it but since you already bought new caps, it may be worth swapping those to see if you hear a difference and trying 50s wiring to see which you prefer. Despite what the internet tries to tell you, there's nothing wrong with the electronics in your LP. ;)

MKB

Gold Supporting Member
What difference will moving the cap lead to the middle lug on the volume pot have over where it is soldered to now?
IMHO in some cases it can improve the highs from a humbucker when the guitar volume is turned down. IME its effectiveness depends on the guitar itself. It's subtle; it may not make much of a difference to your ears, but it's an easy experiment.

That's the practical explanation however. As far as 50s mojo goes, 50s wiring is an absolute requirement. :)

Brian N

I believe the Gibson boards as well as the one he is looking at already use 50s wiring.

OP: I never had a problem with Gibson stock electronics and I'm pretty anal about tone. But if you are going to pull your Gibson board out, you might as well just replace it with individual components rather than another board. It's more versatile that way.

jmccann040878

You don't have to change any of it but since you already bought new caps, it may be worth swapping those to see if you hear a difference and trying 50s wiring to see which you prefer. Despite what the internet tries to tell you, there's nothing wrong with the electronics in your LP. ;)
Good deal, I did some more looking and it pretty much seems like alot of it leans more towards aesthetics than tone. However, I'm still yanking the PCB board out of my SG... it just looks wrong on all levels.

jmccann040878

I believe the Gibson boards as well as the one he is looking at already use 50s wiring.

OP: I never had a problem with Gibson stock electronics and I'm pretty anal about tone. But if you are going to pull your Gibson board out, you might as well just replace it with individual components rather than another board. It's more versatile that way.
After doing some research I'm just gonna change out the ceramic disks and put the orange drops in on the LP. For both my SG and ES-335 I'm going to swap the wiring harnesses. On the SG because I don't like the PCB board, and on the 335 only because I broke a pot trying to replace a knob. I'm installing in the 335 a set of Brandonwound PAT PAF's;)

Trending Topics