Gibson would sell more guitars if...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by p.mo, May 9, 2019.

1. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

Gibson might sell more, but Epiphone would sell less. And it would also do damage to the Gibson name, which means you couldn't charge as much for them.

In the end, it would hurt both brand names and the parent company's overall sales. It's just a really bad idea all around.

toomanyamps and magnus02 like this.
  2. Dale

Dale Member

As I understood it, save perhaps 2015, there was not really an issue with Gibson's USA guitar line, not the Epiphone line for sales. Gibson had wandered into the "lifestyle" and "electronics" market and over extended itself. They had done some things, as noted, like robot tuners etc. that did not help, but didn't kill their sales once they moved into not forcing it on the market (2015).

3. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Like a Chibson but not as nice.

4. TheWayfarer84

TheWayfarer84 Silver Supporting Member

I don't care about the name on headstock - but I do thoroughly like the awful headstock. It's borderline offensively bad design.

5. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

An outstanding guitar. Very nice indeed. Love the headstock. It's a thing of beauty.
    I have the Peter Frampton version and love it. Sounds amazing, plays amazing, and looks amazing.
    [​IMG]
    I do prefer the headstock shape on my Joey B ES355.
    Hey look. It has a Gibson 50th anniversary pick-guard!
    [​IMG]

I love Gibson because the make outstanding Epiphone guitars! ;)

Jon Silberman, HERSCHEL and uab9253 like this.
  6. uab9253

uab9253 Member

That's a more fair assessment

Teal_66 likes this.
  7. HERSCHEL

HERSCHEL Member

What "price drop"? They slapped the standard label on traditionals for whiny grognards and it's still the same, featureless guitar for the money.

8. Electricb

Electricb Member

I think its been pretty well advertised that the new Standards are $300 less than the old Traditionals. The new LP Moderns are $600 less than the old 2019 Standards, which is great news for you since you love features so much.

uab9253 likes this.
  9. Bolt VanderHuge

Bolt VanderHuge Member

Gibson would sell more guitars if they priced them all at tree-fiddy.

uab9253 likes this.
  10. Dasein

Dasein Member

I'm of the mind that as soon as you take an American product and start overseas production creating two product lines, it injures the brand....

As a Hamer owner I hated when Hamer started overseas production -- I knew it was the beginning of the end.... boutique high brand value brands wont survive brand erosion...
    Gibson is in a different boat though, but true Gibsons need to stay USA made/designed..... Let Epiphone be their off brand.... and they should lower the price of their goods by about 25% ---- If Gibson tried to make the best mass produced true American guitar with great QC I think they'd sell more guitars. They are priced too boutique without delivering on the quality.

the_Chris likes this.
  11. Ferg Deluxe

Ferg Deluxe Gold Supporting Member

And really, everyone KNOWS that Epiphones are made by the Gibson company and intentionally labeled with another name. It’s not some giant trade secret. An Epiphone is just a Gibson that is priced and manufactured to a lower price point like those Taylors you mentioned, like many many other brands.

See? Everyone already knows they're made by Gibson. :)

---------------------

I see the argument -- one way or the other -- as more representative of the person's feelings rather than Gibson's. You have the "Eww, don't water down my Gibson" crowd, and the "Epiphone makes a great guitar" crowd, and then there's the "I can't afford -- or don't choose to afford -- a USA Gibson, but would still like the Gibson name on a less expensive guitar" crowd.

But in the end, it only matters what Gibson thinks. Maybe the new management sees the Epi brand differently than the old regime? Probably too early to tell. Or perhaps they see it as a brand that has a lot of clout and authority in it's market, and doesn't want to toss that baby out with the bathwater. Either way, I don't really care.

Make quality guitars. Price them accordingly. Stand behind them. Boom. Done.

As a side note, I find it funny when people compare Gibson to a brand like Ferrari. Uh, no. The Gibson brand carries none of the ultra-exclusivity of a brand like Ferrari. I'm not sure the brand carries any exclusivity beyond "Made in the USA" -- and that's just fine, I'm not saying they need to be ultra-exclusive. They are well known in the guitar community, and many Gibsons carry hefty price tags, but that is not synonymous with a luxury brand or exclusivity. It just means some of their products are more expensive than others. Their effort to make themselves into a lifestyle brand tells us all we need to know of that story. I think the pricing on the new lineup is great -- I'm planning on acquiring a standard, myself. And the sub 1000-dollar juniors with P90's look great, and I'm planning to add one of those as well.

But saying that a $400 guitar is going to do irreparable damage to a brand that already has $750 guitars in their lineup is just silly.

12. uab9253

uab9253 Member

It's funny, but up until this thread, I hadn't really given much thought to potential changes to Epiphones as a result of the reorg. I had and still do presume that the Epi's were doing pretty well in their segment and not so much in need of change.

13. p.mo

p.mo Supporting Member

You have $499 to spend on a Les Paul guitar with the same exact specs...

$499 Epiphone Les Paul Standard (made in China)

--- or ---

$499 Gibson Les Paul Standard (made in China)

Yep... and argument over.

14. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I always took pride in being pragmatic enough to go for what does the job best.
    To me pride is an issue of personal temperament and intrinsic qualities, not in inanimate objects.
    I take great pride in buying what is best rather than in what follows the herd. I also have no tattos nor does my face look like a display in a bait shop.

15. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Anyone who is embarrassed by their playing is going to be embarrassed by it no matter what they play.
    Anyone who is up to snuff and confident with his playing will never be embarrassed by the gear he is using as long as it does the job.
    And quite honestly, I very much prefer the Epiphone LPs. I like the Korean pickups they use in the better ones, I like the workmanship ( I have worked on quite a few of them, so I see how well they are built) and I like the overall feel of them better.
    I never once bought a guitar just to get a name on a headstock, I always buy them because they suit my needs. Cost isn't even an issue with me. Utility and
    need is what I go for.
    And I have played a hell of a lot of gigs using both name brand and lesser known name brands, and never once did it ever occur to me to be embarrassed by my instruments or my playing. Cork sniffers are guys who normally play at home by themselves.

16. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

Yes, say, for example, "Epiphone (by Gibson)" Or: "Epiphone: A Leisure Service of Gibson Guitars". Add your own here:

17. wetordry

wetordry Member

Far as I'm concerned gibson doesn't have to be all things for everybody, as long as they do a few things really well.

Epiphone can have the headstock shape and still be epiphone. They make sg guitars and les pauls don't they?
    Then again maybe they dont. Cant imagine the secret sauce lives in the headstock, but alot of people seem to think so.

valvestate likes this.
  18. whatizitman

whatizitman Member

Great idea! I wonder why Gibson's never thought of that!

:bonk

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SmartAlex likes this.
  19. ozraves

ozraves Member

I think Gibson is doing what it needs to sell more guitars. They've simplified their product line and pricing seems more consumer friendly.

As for a Gibson line made overseas, I'm not for it. I'd be more for improving the Epiphone line by limiting manufacture to only Japan and Korea.

valvestate likes this.
  20. JiveJust

JiveJust Member

Do you remember the Epiphone Elitist series? They were higher end Epiphones that sort of overlapped the Gibson in $1-2K range.

I’ve always wanted to play one to see what the difference was.

https://reverb.com/item/22053135-epiphone-elitist-les-paul-plus-top-honeyburst

valvestate likes this.