Gibson would sell more guitars if...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by p.mo, May 9, 2019.

1. whatizitman

whatizitman Member

Sorry. I really meant to make a point to the thread generally, using your post as a catalyst. I have a tendency to do that.

uab9253 likes this.
  2. whatizitman

whatizitman Member

Yup. People didn't stop buying new Gibsons, despite the financial voodoo, bad investments and layoffs/moves, and subsequent restructuring. And used continue to hold value pretty well. No matter what they do, they will continue to sell based on brand alone. Any changes they make to anything, good or bad, will be met with critical "internet analysis" regardless. It's just how it is.

3. Teal_66

Teal_66 Member

OOF!!! I actually own (2) Epiphones. I have a $99 acoustic and an SG Junior $129. Both of these guitars are for practicing in the house. Both of them play crappy, but it's fine for practicing various exercises. I inherited the SG. These are extremely terrible guitars, and ugly too. The acoustic is really bad and hard to play - no matter what I do to the setup. It is what it is.

4. Warmy

Warmy Supporting Member

Too smart for new Gibsons; are you?

5. Salfordlad

Salfordlad Member

I currently own 3 CS Gibson Les Pauls and 2 Gibson J45's and they are all great guitars and do the job. I've previously owned Epiphone Joe Pass, Emperor Regent, 335 Dot and 339 P90 guitars and they were all great and did the job. I wouldn't have a problem gigging with an Epi if I still had one or one of my 3 Squier CV Tele's or any of my Gibson and Fender stuff. These days almost everything is well made and good enough to be the least of my worries as to whether I'm going to play and sound good. It is all about what you can afford and what you want. I've been contemplating getting an Epi LP Custom in white just for the looks. If I get one I wont be making any excuses either.

e???, uab9253 and hitchcockblonde like this.
  6. Tom Fontaine

Tom Fontaine Member

If they kept Epiphone but changed the headstock to a Gibson shape.

Fender and squire are visually almost identical. That headstock is a turnoff for lots of folks apparently. Just that little change would increase sales

valvestate and Pidgin English like this.
  7. EtaCarinae

EtaCarinae Member

Gibson would sell more guitars if selling the most guitars was how you made the most money. Would you rather sell 1 studio at a $500 profit margin or 4 at a $100 profit margin? Obviously that's an oversimplification, but people seem to forget that the Gibson guitar business has been profitable essentially as long as I have been alive, and the financial troubles were tied to other non-guitar related acquisitions.

They make good to great guitars that hold their value better than just about anything else, while commanding a premium. I tend to like them. They have always done a lot more right than wrong; and ironically the things I wish they did more of were modernizing and improving design elements; something that the hide glue sniffers of the world tend to chafe at.

I wish they did more ergonomic cutaways and offered non-budget non-customer Les Pauls with maple necks and volutes. I wish they had piezo bridge options. I would just like to see more options in the non-custom shop range. I don't give a damn about the tenon's 1959 pedigree. Build on what works, improve what doesn't.

uab9253, p.mo, HERSCHEL and 2 others like this.
  8. LeicaBossNJ

LeicaBossNJ Silver Supporting Member

Imagine a world where Gibson printed out every very specific "Gibson should make" comment from the Internet, then added all those guitars to their line. How many hours before they went out of business?

At some point, people should just stop asking a cat to bark. Let's just let Gibson be Gibson and stick to the basics for a long while.

uab9253 likes this.
  9. EtaCarinae

EtaCarinae Member

Well, I am not advocating massive SKU proliferation. I am more recommending they have all their uber traditional models and then have a line where they tinker and improve. That is actually very close to what they are doing now with the modern line. It's not crazy in the way that making hundreds of different weird models would be.

10. Gforce013

Gforce013 Supporting Member

No kidding I bought my studio in 1994 for 350 used ,I think maybe they were 500 or so new at the time. Black with an ebony fretboard , they told me basically it was the same specs like the custom just non of the fancy stuff. That guitar sounds killer and better than any studio now and a fraction of the price.

uab9253 and Penguinchit like this.
  11. Boonda

Boonda Member

Lol if Japan made Gibsons they’d put Gibson USA out of business

12. Imerkat

Imerkat Supporting Member

The clipped wing headstock is symbolic of the relationship between Epiphone, Gibson, and one not being "able to fly".

yup.
    [​IMG]

13. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

Very true. They do sell a lot. Yes, I know the headstock is something a lot of people can't get past (I've struggled with it to, frankly because of my ego of not being able to afford a Gibson branded one) but in 2019, those Epiphone Les Paul's sound the way that Les Paul's are supposed to.

Oriondk likes this.
  14. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Gibson sells a huge number of Epiphones. I wouldn't be surprised if the Epiphone instrument division is more profitable than the Gibson division.

15. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

Personally I prefer it the way it is now, but Fender would be a good argument for how it could work well.

Pidgin English likes this.
  16. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

It would cheapen the name.

17. naveed211

naveed211 Member

I’d be more willing to buy an Epiphone (or “import Gibson”) if it had the Gibson style headstock. I’ve even had an MIJ Epiphone with the “right” headstock in my cart once or twice. But it’d have to be more than a name and headstock change.

Part of the reason I prefer others to Chinese Epiphones is because the Epiphones almost always feel cheap and plasticky in the the finish. That would have to change, too.

Honestly though, that doesn’t stop many guys of all ages buying Epiphones. I’ve seen them on many stages since I’ve been playing.

18. Gurn

Gurn Member

No. I wouldn’t take a Made-in-China Gibson.

Guitars are discretionary items. I don’t buy Chinese guitars - especially a Chinese Gibson.

Made in Mexico, Indonesia, Vietnam, Taiwan - no prob. w/ me.
    MIC is a no-go.

valvestate and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  19. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

They could leave the epi name on the headstock, just change it to a Gibson shape

valvestate likes this.
  20. Endr_rpm

Endr_rpm Member

On the bass side of things, Epiphone absolutely eats Gibsons lunch on any models they have in common, like the Thunderbird. The newer Classic line of T-birds rocks on par with the US version, save maybe for the nitro finish, at 1/4 the cost. And Epiphone has the Jack Casady bass, which is modeled on a Les Paul Recording bass, but is entirely pro quality (Im a proud owner) and unlike anything Gibson makes.

Guitars? I have no idea, I have a US SG and that all the Gibson I need, I was never terribly impressed with the Epi models.

Dr Bonkers likes this.