Gibson would sell more guitars if...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by p.mo, May 9, 2019.

1. boppy

boppy Member

The older Japanese Gibson-style Epiphones had Gibson headstocks up until around 2007 or so. Just saying...

2. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Much to my surprise, it's significantly heavier than my initial guess of 8 and 1/2 lbs. Either I'm getting stronger or the guitar balances exceptionally well on my shoulders. I'm pretty sure it must be the latter! (Seriously, I own another guitar that's within an ounce of the same weight as the LP and the other one feels so much heavier.)

[​IMG]

biffoz likes this.
  3. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

I personally don’t understand why people dislike the Epiphone headstocks. There are actually several variations of the Epiphone headstock(s).

Ferg Deluxe and HERSCHEL like this.
  4. biffoz

biffoz Member

Ok, that's probably the main reason I've avoided LP's in general. A herniated disc and some Chiropractic evaluation show my playing posture to be the culprit in a chronic way, so I've had to choose lighter axes since around 92.

No Les Paul's for me! Thanks for checking Ken.

5. steve_man

steve_man Member

Gibson has priced themselves out of reach for most players. When your "entry level" LP Studio is $1400 or more, that's just silly talk.

6. captwillard

captwillard Member

There are some nice epiphone and epiphone elite guitars that i wish they would sell in the US. The std epiphone stuff is nice, but I'm sure there are good and bad examples. I think selling imported Gibsons in place of epiphone isn't necessary.

7. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Member

.....I had more money.

jaguarillo68 likes this.
  8. jaguarillo68

jaguarillo68 Member

I like my Epiphone I like the big headstock I like the fact it doesnot look like a gibby. I like the fact that they cost less moolah. Leave my Epiphone alone! :) Please.

9. budglo58

budglo58 Member

If..... people wanted more Gibson’s.

The used market has become saturated with guitars and to be honest , guitar driven music is not in the forefront anymore . Back a few years ago many of us purchased 335s at a low price because Gibson produced more of these guitars than there was demand for. I think they are trying to strike a balance between supply and demand as well as fairly priced. Otherwise the only ones who are buying them are those fueled by insatiable gas that gets a new one every couple of years or collectors who are mostly buying the high end stuff.

I think they are trying to avoid having those end of the year blow out sales to get rid of stock tbh.

10. Ron

Ron Supporting Member

Overseas Made Gibson. OMG, I get it.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    valvestate and p.mo like this.
  11. Fireproof

Fireproof Member

And...
    Fender vs. Squier
    Music Man vs. Sterling
    ESP vs. LTD

Etc.

12. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

Can I just ask.... why should guitars sell more?

They already sell a shitload of them every year. Producing more of them than ever before. Why do we want them to pump out and sell more? I think guitars are doing fine. I'm not onboard this infinite growth model - there's only so much planet to safely exploit.

zhivago, VHS analog and Rufus like this.
  13. p.mo

p.mo Supporting Member

Epiphone models should be entry level priced a la Squier. Gibson could have diversified price points based on features, quality control, country of manufacturer, etc. Yes, just like Fender.... the market leader.

JiveJust likes this.
  14. keenan

keenan Member

I'm amazed they can still continue to move as many as they do, at the prices they do. There are so many [ranging from: crap, decent, good, great, amazing] Strats/ Teles/ LPs from the last 70 years floating around. Guitars get ruined, thrown away, etc at some kind of rate, but that's not even one for every thousand they keep pumping out.

That's the one ting with guitars, people who likes em has a lots of em, and if you aren't using it/ them, they tucks away real easy-like. Pianos, not so much (although you can use those as resonant picture frame stands I suppose.

Magnets And Melodies likes this.
  15. jaguarillo68

jaguarillo68 Member

The Epiphone batwing headstock is my all time favorite. Then the explorer and firebird without the severe back angle. Put the batwing on a les paul! It's angled straight string pull yes! But it would piss off so many people. boo :eek:

16. bkb1984

bkb1984 Supporting Member

Their guitars stayed in tune

17. wire-n-wood

wire-n-wood Supporting Member

You're both right. The Epiphone name has failed. Perhaps because it already meant something which got corrupted. So the name is despised in a way that Squire is not. I think they should relaunch with a new name for their second-tier product line. Because Epiphone is a millstone around the neck. Maybe unfair, as there are some decent guitars. But they should learn from what Yamaha is doing with the Revstar. Focus on a better Les Paul Special, rather than a worse Les Paul Standard.

p.mo likes this.
  18. SmartAlex

SmartAlex Supporting Member

Have you ever heard of branding? Companies have brands and sub-brands that exist within their brand universe for good reason as they target different customer demographics.

Putting the Gibson name on a cheap Epiphone is like Ferrari putting their name on a cheap import. You lose brand equity and customer loyalty that way.

So no, it’s not a good idea. Actually pretty terrible if I’m being honest. Sorry.

uab9253 likes this.
  19. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

They would sell more guitars if they learned how to make them better from the Chinese and quit trying to get rich on each instrument sold.
    Why would anyone pay thousands of dollars for something they can get that does the job just as well or in many cases better for hundreds?

20. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

They would sell more guitars if they learned how to make them better from the Chinese and quit trying to get rich on each instrument sold.
    Why would anyone pay thousands of dollars for something they can get that does the job just as well or in many cases better for hundreds?