Gibson

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jeffrey827, Jul 13, 2008.

1. jeffrey827

jeffrey827 Member

ok. so i'm looking to buy a Gibson soon but the only problem is i'm not sure which one. i am willing to spend up to 1,700 and i want a nice clean tone that is has warm chords. thanks

2. newking70

newking70 Member

3. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

why are you confining yourself to a gibson if you don't know exactly what you want?
    there are tons and tons of guitar makers that can give you as good or a better product for that kind of money.

4. groovy daddy

groovy daddy Member

Yeah I know you just gotta have a Gibson. Me too I just cant go without one.$1700 is medium priced but you should be able to find a real good one for that much. Just pick the body style you like and go for it.

5. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Don't limit yourself to new. Gibson's quality control in recent years has been pretty poor. I sent back a new ES175 that had an issue in the bracing, and the local store I usually shop quit carrying them, as they had so many issues.

I have a friend who is a pro who had a Wes Mongomery L5 custom shop job done, and after sending it back 3 times for various issues, finally just sold it. Might look used also. Good luck

6. YoungMansBlues

YoungMansBlues Member

I agree of shihanderek. Looking used is definitely the way to go for a Gibson. I have 4, only one of which is less than 30 years old. Guess which one isn't fun to play? The guitar in question is an '06 Flying V (not the faded, the real one). It has had more than a few issues that a brand new guitar just shouldn't have, and I've heard the same from friends of mine who've recently purchased new. Old ones just have the mojo for me though man, so hope you can find one that you'll love!

7. pgurlea

pgurlea Shallow Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

In that price range I'd look at a used Historic SG or a CS 336. I don't know if you can get a used Historic LP for that money but if you can I would pop down to your local GC and play all three.
    Good Luck,
    Paul

8. jeffrey827

jeffrey827 Member

ok. thanks so what should i buy then for a clean sound.

9. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

Find a nice explorer.
    don't think they do clean? check out U2 catalogue

I'd say Flying V, but they bark a bit more.

10. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I had an '06 VOS LP special last year that was a REALLY exceptional guitar, by anyone's standards. Right around your price range, too!

The VOS guitars are all Plek'd, correcting what has been a consistent shortcoming of contemporary Gibbys, IMO...

11. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

ES 339 You will not be dissappointed. Big fat clean tone.

[​IMG]

12. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

In your price range you can get a very good used 335, Les Paul Standard, ora CS LP Special.
    If you want to add just a couple of hudred more you can find a used Historic LP.

I have owned many over the years and the only issue I have ever had was a poorly cut nut which can be rectified easily and cheaply.

Gibson quality control problems are nowhere as bad as the internet makes them out to be.
    Every brand will have an occasional problem. Those that have had an issue bring it up a lot so it seems that it worse than it really is.

13. KHK

KHK Silver Supporting Member

This would be where I'd go from the custom shop...one recently sold in the emporium for $1500.

14. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

check out the es-137 classic too-- beautiful warm semi-hollowbody tones plus ripping les paul tones in one guitar.

heres a pic of mine...

[​IMG]

15. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

Nice, very nice!

16. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Jeffrey, are there many places in your town/region where you can play a bunch of guitars before you decide? Gibsons can be great, but so can any number of other guitars in YOUR hands. :)

Gotta find the right one of anything before you'll hit the paydirt. I wish you luck!