Gibsons... help me out here.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tickboy, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Tickboy

Tickboy Member

Hi,
    At risk of flogging a dead horse here, can anybody clear up if and how Gibson guitars have declined in recent years?
    Should i be looking to buy a model from before a certain year?
    Thans for your help

2. MGT

MGT Member

Despite the flogging, I'll say that I have had a number of Gibsons (Les Pauls and SG's) from 2007 to present and they've been excellent. The only reason I sold my 2007 LP Std was that it had the small 60's neck - other than that, it was PERFECT. I currently have a 2009 LP Std (newer chambered models with locking tuners, etc) and a 2010 LP Traditional - they're both excellent, too. I had a couple of others that I wasn't that happy about but that goes for other guitars (Fenders) I've had.

3. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

you can find great Gibsons from any year.

4. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

I recently picked up a new LP Standart Gold Top, with the PLEK'ed and Asymetrical neck, Locking Tuners, and new style PCB electronics. The quality on it was good enough for me to buy a Gibson after a good many years. It's a really nice, light, resonant guitar that I've come to appreciate, despite some of the hate.

When I was shopping around, I noticed some Gibson's with minor flaws, some that sounded better than others....but I noticed that on some other well known brands too. My advice would be to play it, before you pay for it. That goes for any guitar. Unfortunately, with some great deals in the Emporium, you may not get that luxury if you're willing to take that risk.

5. Lemon Crush

Lemon Crush Member

They over market with hyperbole (aged wood, wood "breathing", etc) and they was $1000 or more dollars for some wood.

6. nosacter

nosacter Member

Some would argue (including me) that the past 10 years, give or take, have been a golden era of guitar manufacture. There are superb guitars in every price point and every country of origin. Current Gibsons are outstanding and their acoustics might be the best ever. Don't know if they're legal, but they're great.

7. pickleweed

pickleweed Member

there's a glut of guys on the internet that are shouting from the rooftops about poor qc and exorbitant prices. maybe its true, maybe not. but what i do know, is i just grabbed a 2009 r8 and its the most amazing thing ive ever played. so either i just got really lucky, or the internet has once again managed to overblow the extremes. given that mine is one of the bouji gibsons, i dont know how that translates to the production models if thats your bag. but i had the same fears as you did, and im glad i bought mine. just take your time searching for the one you want.

8. Seniorspike

Seniorspike Member

To the OP, it is my opinion that Gibson guitars have NOT declined in recent years. You can find haters and floggers, but use your own head, hands, and ears on some Gibsons and make up your own mind.

9. edward

edward Supporting Member

A Gibby Studio is what it is, as is an Historic, as is a whatever. Most are good as QC generally does its job, but a few may slip by with maladies, but that's not the doom and gloom some report. I think many have romanticized the "Gibson's good ol days" far too much. Most every Gibby is a good guitar ...whether it is one that you like or not, or one you think is worth the dough or not, are completly different questions. But if you're gonna plunk down 1500 for a current Gibson, you will get QC that is commensurate with a 1500 guitar. Apply the same QC across whatever pricerange you like and barring the exception of a clunker, you'll get what you paid for. I just don't buy the "this year is better than that year" when we're talking about Gibbys from year 2000 on. Finding the one that speaks to you is far more important a consideration than a given year on the supposition that it's better by default.

Edward

10. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Play each one before you buy it, that goes for any brand!

11. stratplexi

stratplexi Member

I have bought several new Gibsons in the last few years, sight unseen, and all have been oustanding. With the generous return policies, I would not hesitate to buy any new Gibson. In fact, I will buy more in the future.

12. Faded

Faded Supporting Member

Historics are pretty nice, but as far as the standard line...

Binding issues, finish bleed and inconsistencies, poor pickup selection across the line (unless you really like '57 Classics), lack of any meaningful innovation, horrid new models, overpricing and poor dealer network/treatment.

Go ahead Fanboys bring the flame, doesn't bother me.

13. Melodyman

Melodyman Member

14. tnt365

tnt365 Member

As a general rule of thumb, if you are a looking for a nice LP for a fair price you might as well stick with the post-2006 Gibson USA line of Les Pauls. They will be newer, so less wear overall, and will retain its value well IMO. 198X-2005 LP's are basically the same quality with a little different features and will usually be cheaper (probably more worn too overall).

Custom Shop Gibsons are great guitars, and I'd say the rule above applies to them as well. Very equivalent in terms of quality for recent Gibsons, just different versions/features.

15. Tickboy

Tickboy Member

Thanks guys.
    I'm a bit of a rookie when it comes to buying guitars cos i'm a student and a couple of thousand dollars is hard to come by...
    I love the SG 61 reissue, and now i wont worry too much about what year any given model was made in.
    Thanks for revisiting a tired topic for me

16. 27sauce

27sauce Member

As far as those go, I DO prefer the earlier ones with the ABR-1, instead of the Nashville. I just prefer the sound/feel of the ABR-1, others may prefer the Nashville.

17. mesa/kramer

mesa/kramer Member

18. John Vasco

John Vasco Member

Educate me on the sound/feel of an ABR-1. What are you talking about exactly?

19. John Vasco

John Vasco Member

Such a broad, sweeping, statement is not worth the miniscule time you spent typing it.

Perhaps you could point out the binding issues, finish bleed, and inconsistencies on this particular horrid new model:
    [​IMG]

And they made a real cock-up of the top of it as well...
    [​IMG]

You really don't know what you are talking about. Suggest you go back to the Banjocaster forum from whence you came.

20. dunara

dunara Member

Agreed wholeheartedly, although with regards to your last point; I think we can say right now that Gibson have had the marigold glove of the Federal Government so far up their corporate back passage, that anything new coming out with their name on it is squeaky-clean. :omg