Gibsons personal inspecton photo is FAKE!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DrainBamage, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Teleplayer

Teleplayer New Mods On The Block Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Of course it was.

2. Herb Utsmelz

Herb Utsmelz 'Tis what 'tis Supporting Member

You? You felt the need to talk about your mil-spec manufacturing company.

3. Mr. Bertha

Mr. Bertha Member

One could just as easily make the point that oversight on the unnecessary photo/case is the last thing on their minds because they were concentrating on making a guitar that, so far, nobody is complaining about.

Here's another possibility: the photo was taken during inspection, but since Gibson likely doesn't have in-house photo developing capabilities and had to send it out for printing, a dead-simple mix-up occurred on an inconsequential, extraneous detail.

Ooh. Here's the most likely scenario. They just sign inspection cards and stuff them into cases like so much junk mail -- no inspection at all. The photo is a stock photo that they include in every case and only our intrepid OP was observant enough to blow the lid off the whole thing. This is where id put my money if I was a gambling man. This conspiracy, like all conspiracies, goes straight to the top! I'll bet the CEO himself signed the memo requiring employees to stop inspecting guitars in an arch-evil plot to bring down rock and roll as we know it. Fiends, all of them.

4. Mr. Bertha

Mr. Bertha Member

Sure, you say that, but I want photographic proof. This topic is far too important to rest on the word of an Internet stranger. I've never met you Teleplayer (if that is your real name). Those of us who care a lot about qc need to take precautions before we believe any old thing we read online. You understand, I'm sure.

Gurn likes this.
  5. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

I'm not sure if you are being half serious or totally goofing...

Mr. Bertha likes this.
  6. paulbearer

paulbearer Member

I'm guessing marketing invented the benefit as an 'extra security blanket' against fakes.
    They do market the fact that they provide it, so they should get it right.

Though I'm sure the counterfeiters have built a fake bench by now and have a camera and photo printer ready to go.

RYAN1987M and John Hurtt like this.
  7. SRQGuitar

SRQGuitar Gold Supporting Member

So how is the guitar?

Gurn likes this.
  8. Mr. Bertha

Mr. Bertha Member

Jeez. You didn't have to go nuclear. Now the whole thread has John Mayer stink on it. Way to spoil it for the rest of us, dude.

AbstractLunatic and Gurn like this.
  9. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

This thread delivers! Entertaining and rife with comedy. It'd take me an hour to hand out all of the likes.

67super, seward, Gurn and 3 others like this.
  10. Teleplayer

Teleplayer New Mods On The Block Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

He plays Gibsons, right?

11. Mr. Bertha

Mr. Bertha Member

You tell me. I'm not his target demographic -- middle-aged women.

Gurn likes this.
  12. ZiggyStarrdust

ZiggyStarrdust Member

okay, i'll just say this. Out of all the things in your life to lament, you have chosen this topic. So well done there. I saw this right after you initially posted and thought you had to be trolling, so I didn't respond... but apparently this is an actual issue for an actual human. So i'll just ask, do you think there is no bench changeover? Do you think that possibly the checklist in the photo may have been from the previous bench user and then not discarded before the other person started work? Do you think that, possibly, as mentioned above, one photo got mixed in with another photo? Does the grain pattern of the photo and your guitar match up? Go play your guitar.

nastynate likes this.
  13. TrampledUnderFoot

TrampledUnderFoot Member

I seriously doubt they take a photo and it instantly prints out. They probably do a bunch at a time and your's got mixed up. How are you supposed to tell it's actually your guitar by an awful picture of the center of the neck anyway?

14. SRQGuitar

SRQGuitar Gold Supporting Member

So how's the guitar?

Gurn and Mr. Bertha like this.
  15. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

I've bought 2 that had these photos, both were correct. Sounds like they just mixed up this one.

(In a photo from a guitar made in early 2017, the amp says Peavy. In one made in 2016 it had the Gibson sticker over it. I guess some do and some don't.)

16. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Lordy Mama light my fuse Supporting Member

Gurn likes this.
  17. SuperSilverHaze

SuperSilverHaze Member

Gibson is such a hit or miss company, but mainly miss. completely unacceptable in so many facets for such overpriced guitars. why cant they make $3500 that are playable? its an insult to hard working customers.

18. Stev0Griffin

Stev0Griffin Trendsetter

Well, that got out of hand pretty quickly.

To the OP:

It was probably just a mix up. My assumption is that Gibby takes a photo of every guitar they QC on the bench, and print them at the end of the day / week / whatever and distribute them accordingly.

My 2016 Trad had some melted binding on the fingerboard at the second fret, and it was even in the photo they supplied. Some fancy QC there, for sure.

stonem likes this.
  19. Herb Utsmelz

Herb Utsmelz 'Tis what 'tis Supporting Member

The insults are whatever, I just get annoyed when I see the "virtue card" pulled on part of the situation only.

20. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I just got a gibson, noticed they included a picture, didnt bother to look at it, too busy playing the guitar. I will admit I was not impressed with the set up out of the box, probably could use a little nut work, but whatever, I got a good deal and I am happy with the guitar.

Peteyvee likes this.