Gibsons personal inspecton photo is FAKE!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DrainBamage, Sep 21, 2017.

1. erikzen

erikzen Member

I didn't even realize that's what that photo was. When I bought my (only new) Gibson a few weeks ago, I thought maybe I got a return and somebody left a photo of their guitar in the case. :confused:

stonem likes this.
  2. erikzen

erikzen Member

You mean a printer?

wvpv, cj_wattage, HoboMan and 7 others like this.
  3. davess23

davess23 Member

First I've heard about these photos. I'm not sure what they prove. If you examine and play the guitar and you find that the materials, craftsmanship, finish and playability are all there, you're good. If they're not, you'll be unhappy. Is the photo supposed to say to you, "Well, we tried; even if it's not quite right, we didn't just slap it together and put it in a box" or something? I get that Gibson wants to convey that they care about quality assurance, but I really don't get how the photo supports this. The only possible verification is an issue-free guitar.

stratplexi, Ampedusa and DrainBamage like this.
  4. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  5. erikzen

erikzen Member

6. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

Thats not my guitar

7. 73Fender

73Fender Member

8. Brad8008135

Brad8008135 Member

Should I be concerned? What should I wear to Judge Judy?

[​IMG]

9. DrainBamage

DrainBamage Member

When did I blow the lid off the whole thing!?! I was just pointing I out and thought it was funny :confused:.

My guess is sometimes the inspection of the guitars takes no more than a 30 second look over and tossed in the cases.

10. DrainBamage

DrainBamage Member

Actually, you can tell by the grains in the wood in some cases. In that particular case it was the actually guitar.

11. Digidog

Digidog Member

Yes, yes! I want to see how this ends, and using my fretboard hand to scroll and like is a substitute for practicing.

Gurn likes this.
  12. Jura

Jura Member

Is it the same guitar?
    Why does it need to be the matching certificate? Could be a random one laying on the table for all you know.

13. tenchijin2

tenchijin2 Supporting Member

Well, that escalated quickly!

Let me see if I can make some observations without getting too wrapped up in the goings on. First, I believe that Gibson does this photograph as an attempt to demonstrate the heritage of the instrument and make it "personal." You're able to see that it was on a bench, where a real person works. It gives it some history, and no doubt is an attempt to counter the notion that everything is done by cold calculating machines. It's PR. The goal is to make the customer feel good. That's it.

In this case, the error tends to create a glaring dissonance. The sentimental attempt to demonstrate the personal nature of the instrument is undermined by the error- it feels wrong to the customer. How the customer takes it is dependent upon his general approach to these matters. For example, I would not have even noticed the discrepancy. Others on the thread noted they wouldn't care one bit. I also wouldn't care. But to the OP it seems to be a big deal.

What I would suggest is that the OP contact Gibson and see if there was an error. Maybe they have the correct photo somewhere, or maybe a simple explanation like "Well, the QC operator that checked the guitar and signed off on it then passed it to another QC operator for xx reason, and that's where the photo was taken." I don't think it's unreasonable to think that maybe the guitar passes through multiple benches under certain circumstances. Beyond that, maybe Gibson has an answer for you.

14. DrainBamage

DrainBamage Member

The numerous posters that think no one makes cameras that spit out phots in 2017 :facepalm
    This is 80's technology folks. The guitar is out for inspection then Gibson takes a photo after it passes LOL

15. voggin

voggin Member

Maybe the guitar is in the witness protection program, and the photo is its new identity. You may have endangered its life by posting your discovery! Its blood will be on your hands.

16. DrainBamage

DrainBamage Member

That's a good perspective but I'm getting the feeling most posters here think I care. I don't. The photo idea is stupid but I find it utterly ridiculous they go though the trouble to do so but have the photo most likely be just a stock photo when a black SG guitar are indistinguishable from one another. In this case to have the actual serial number card on the table would leave me to believe this was infact my guitar being looked over. But its not my serial number. This was a :jo on Gibson thread. Lazy worker taking a longer break by stocking up on photos? Who knows what happened but its stupidly funny they get this part wrong. Guitar is great with the typical Gibson quality lol

Digidog and Blackmoreguitar like this.
  17. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Me three and I've owned dozens of Gibsons over the last 45 years or so. What's the point?

Herb Utsmelz and Ampedusa like this.
  18. Unexplainedbacon

Unexplainedbacon Member

Lol to the worn out trope comment “I’m too busy playing to care”. By that logic you should be too busy playing to care about posting that reply, or posting at all, if you’re so busy playing guitar.

Any other company with a solid QC reputation and it wouldn’t likely matter, but since Gibson is known for making mistakes and taking shortcuts this serves to further enforce that.

Come on people, is it that hard to see the worthiness in posting a thread about such a goof? Do you want 100 more threads daily about what people’s opinions are on how some boutique pickups sound? It’s like the guys who throw in their “this has been amply discussed, the search button is your friend” comment. If we only ever discuss something once and then just read old threads about it for the rest of time, I wouldn’t be coming back all day to see what’s currently going on

Keep rocking on OP

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  19. ghostrider

ghostrider Silver Supporting Member

I can understand why you'd be upset if you paid several thousand dollars for the photo and the guitar was included at no extra charge, but...

20. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

All guitars need a little set up out of the box. It's not just Gibson and never has been. Some dealers set them up, some just ship them without checking. That's why I only buy guitars in person. It's a lot easier to haggle them down if it needs a setup... :D

Heinz W, Gurn and EricPeterson like this.