Gibsons personal inspecton photo is FAKE!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DrainBamage, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Whitecat

Whitecat Member

ENHANCE

cj_wattage likes this.
  2. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Why do all the cops in my neighborhood look different, especially the females? Must be the geographic location.

3. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Maybe it will become a bargaining piece too? I, for one, never imagined anyone would attempt to attach a value of $200 or $300 to a COA, which is no more meaningful than a picture to many. Yet it is, as you point out, the COA used as a bargaining piece and the valuation is typically in that ballpark. To paraphrase, the sooner you learn how to evaluate a guitar on your own...

Who can say the picture won't get used the same way.

BTW, I have to believe you understand the parallel but I am going along with it.

hunter

Jabberwocky likes this.
  4. Herb Utsmelz

Herb Utsmelz 'Tis what 'tis Supporting Member

A COA simply denotes it was built by an upper echelon division and is used as a forgery deterrent. It has value because it's part of the "package" unique to the specific guitar and there is less unknown as far as it being truly a higher dollar piece on the second market if the COA is present. Two of the 3 pictures in this thread don't even have any type of identifier to the guitar and it looks like the tag example in the OP was a mistake that happened to have a different inspection tag sitting on the bench. They're useless and seemingly interchangeable, especially in the case of a guitar that doesn't have any visual cues (like a solid black SG) . And to think it denotes better QC is just wishful thinking. We all know it could just as easily come off the line, lay on the bench for a picture, and go right into the case. It could be used a bargaining piece since essentially anything can be nit picked, but it's not the case and most likely never will be as significant as a COA for Gibson. Or Fender. Or other limited edition guitars. Or sports memorabilia. Or cars.

xzacx likes this.
  5. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Oh yeah it is total BS, just like the COA.

hunter

Jabberwocky likes this.
  6. 73Fender

73Fender Member

The COA is just one more thing to help establish authenticity and can be a bargaining tool if missing and I guess it is a marketing tool too. Obviously not fool proof but not BS either. This shop picture thing I suppose is also a little extra marketing touch but if it even takes a second from any kind of QC eval or set up then it is counter productive.

Starshine and Herb Utsmelz like this.
  7. Herb Utsmelz

At least a missing COA doesn't destroy most of the value as if it were a limited car build that could otherwise be a clone. Or even completely useless like a signature or some sort of game-used sports item.

8. DrainBamage

DrainBamage Member

\
    Yes but in that case the serial number wouldn't match the headstock to the certification paperwork. Mine match.
    That would be a huge screw up!

9. stratamania

stratamania Member

Then just contact Gibson, and ask them about it.

10. DrainBamage

DrainBamage Member

Where have you come to the conclusion I think the photo means anything?!?

This tread took 10 minutes to make. I had a hunch Gibson doesn't actually take a photo of said guitar. I was right in this case.

Why is it so hard for folks here to get there head around! Have some fun and lighten up fellas.

11. Herb Utsmelz

You yourself said “it’s a sign of quality control or it’s supposed to be”.

TexasGuitar likes this.
  12. DrainBamage

DrainBamage Member

After all the backlash that quote was in the context of why Gibson adds the photos.. or one would assume.

But its ok, the majority of folks here think the inclusion of a stock photo isn't dishonest.

13. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

14. daveyrocks

daveyrocks Member

I can confirm they do take photos of the actual guitar, and not for a good reason.

Gibson once sent my store a les paul STANDARD with a les paul "Traditional" inscribed truss rod bell cover.

we had to swap the bell before someone bought it.

and guess what was in the photo... the same guitar with a "traditional" bell cover. not only did Gibson not notice that they'd fitted the wrong cover to the truss rod, they took and printed a photo of it and still didn't notice their mistake haha.

15. seward

seward Member

Srs?

16. Gurn

Gurn Member

There is a pattern here. If only we could discern it.

It could be H-U-G-E in a big, big, big way....Bigly H-U-G-E.
    If only we could see through the fog of facts.

Clues are right there - slapping us in the face. The inspector's name on the card starts with a D. But the inspector's name on bench starts with J. There must be 2 inspectors? Or is there only one...wearing a disguise? Is one of them...or everyone on Gibson's QC team a shape-shifter? Or is it a problem with the management team? Are they alien-human hybrids sabotaging QC inspection cards? Is there a secret war between QC and management? Aliens versus shape-shifters?

We know the Peavey amp is in disguise. But why? Was OP's guitar in the Peavey factory all the time? Is Henry J. secretly selling us Peaveys disguised as Gibsons?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  17. Brad8008135

Brad8008135 Member

Serious as the day is long. This is becoming an epidemic of guitar proportions. I will drive up to Nashville Monday and demand satisfaction.

See that hammer in the photo? Gibson uses it to beat the guitars into submission. Otherwise they'd feed back in fear.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    Dr Bonkers and handyman like this.
  18. handyman

handyman Member

But it proves that the guitar, or one just like it, was on a bench once. What does that prove, and why should I care? Heck if I know. :confused:

Herb Utsmelz likes this.
  19. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Member

Two rounds of inspection. One on the bench. The other just before it is packed.

That was simple but we prefer the conspiratorial one.

Gurn likes this.
  20. xzacx

xzacx Member

There’s no more proof that you were right than there is that it was just another guitar’s card left in the frame. As has been pointed out already, there are other pics which have no card in them at all. I don’t know how one can decuct that you’re right or wrong based on the available info.

Jabberwocky likes this.