Gibsons personal inspecton photo is FAKE!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DrainBamage, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Gurn

Gurn Member

Damn! That's a real hammer. And the guitar in the photo is a gold Les Paul.
    You appear to have a red SG. [cue X-Files music]

Watch your back.

Henry J is a shape-shifter.

Dr Bonkers and stonem like this.
  2. sleep

sleep Member

You are making a series of assumptions and then stating that the conclusion you reached from them is a fact.

The primary assumption, on which the rest of your crap argument is based, is that the card on the bench photo is supposed to pertain to your guitar. Of the three that I have, one picture shows no card, one shows a closed card, and the other I'm too lazy to dig out but regardless, it's clear to me that Gibson did not intend that card as part of the identification process. They just gave you a picture of your guitar on the bench with whatever was on the bench at the time, and you're bent out of shape over it. I can further say that I've had four 2015 Gibsons now, and all of the photos did match the guitar, which makes me even more confident that your initial declaration is wrong (although I can absolutely believe you got the wrong picture, though nothing you're provided demonstrates that).

The next assumption you make is that because the cards don't match no one inspected your guitar, which is also not based upon any facts that you have provided. However, apparently the serial number on the inspection card that you have matches your guitar, but you refute that as evidence that anyone examined your guitar because of assumption #1.

The most perplexing and annoying thing to me about your whining is that you can determine from details on the card on the bench in the photo that it's not your card, BUT YOU CAN'T FIGURE OUT IF IT'S YOUR GUITAR IN THE PICTURE. Seriously, there is no detail in the fretboard that matches your guitar? I realize that, based upon your prior comment, all black SGs are indistinguishable from each other, but I am AMAZED that you cannot figure this out based upon your eagle-eyed discrimination of the presumed non-inspector's initials whether any detail of the guitar matches yours.

You've attempted to turn this into a 'I'm just trying to have some fun, where's all the vitriol coming from' post but the title of the post, plus the various quality accusations in here, belies that intent.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  3. DrainBamage

DrainBamage Member

Dude go back to bed, you need it.

4. seward

seward Member

Ah. I see. Maybe.

Aside from that, those are the '61 pickups, aren't they? Loved my 2015 SG Special, wish I still had it...

5. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

Wow, seven pages already! Once again I'm late to our weekly "let's all give Gibson a big kick in the nuts" thread.

Is this something new? I've bought maybe two dozen Gibson guitars between 1978 and 2017, and not one of them came with a "bench photo."

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    stonem likes this.
  6. fenderjapan

fenderjapan World Heavyweight Champion Silver Supporting Member

Have we considered that maybe they just put the wrong picture in the wrong case? I mean its not the end of the world here. Its weird but its not the end of the world.

Gurn likes this.
  7. Brad8008135

Brad8008135 Member

Yeah, I bought that in the Sam Ash fire sale two weeks ago and that guitar is now #1 in my heart..wonderful sounding and playing. The gold top is not bad either.

Dude, we need these Gibson bashing threads to keep the "Phil Jacoby is slow, teach me to be a man" thread off of the first page.

The bench photos started in 2015.

stonem and seward like this.
  8. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Member

Yawn. Every process that involves humans, will show minor inconsistencies from time to time. And sometimes, a mistake can be just what the doctor ordered.

In 2009, I was searching for an guitar that would be the perfect companion to my carefully-tweaked 5E3 clone.

I finally bought a tobacco-burst Paul Reed Smith McCarty with dot inlays and a relatively mild flame top, because of its unusual warmth and resonance. The full, yet bright low-output pickups sounded so luscious through the Deluxe that I literally couldn't put it down.

It was only after I'd fallen for it, that I discovered why this one sounded so different from all the other humbucker-equipped guitars I'd run through that amp- the coil tap switch was wired backwards.

The 5E3 is gathering dust, but that guitar is still my #1.

But think of the irony. With PRS's legendary QC process, US models go through how many play tests during final assembly and setup, yet no-one noticed that it was in coil-tap mode with the tone knob down?

9. pattste

pattste Member

I bought a brand new Gibson. When I took it out of the case, I had to retune it. Now I see why. Crap Behringer rack tuner and a tone sucking Boss pedal tuner with +/- 3 cent accuracy. WTF Gibson! Considering the price you sell your guitars, QA desks should have a Peterson Strobe tuner.

Gurn and stonem like this.
  10. JPF

JPF Member

Your "Gibson" was mislabeled at the factory. It's actually an Epiphone. All the clues and proof are there in what you provided in the OP - you just have to pay attention. I really hope you feel better now, and can get back to playing your lovely Epi.

tenchijin2 and Gurn like this.
  11. 73Fender

73Fender Member

But the resale value will be shot, now everyone will be asking for the "bench picture" when you go to sell it. :cool:o_O

12. onemoretime

onemoretime Member

Another failed attempt to make you believe they are paying attention to the details. They can't even get the paperwork in the right case. It's laughable. The latest ES-335 I bought came with a COA for some other guitar.
    It's just a dog and pony show rather than real quality control.

I worked for a public distribution warehouse that used to provide a "load quality checklist" and photograph" of every truckload shipped. They stuffed both in the packing list envelope on the tail end of the trailer. Our enterprising supervisors quickly began using a photocopied checklist form already filled out with everything but the date, carrier and trailer number. They took a couple hundred Polaroids of the same load and just used the same photo for every shipment. The customers either never caught on or never looked at the documents anyway.

transmission likes this.
  13. Gurn

Gurn Member

Mine was out of tune too when I opened the box.

In-****ing-excusable! When will Gibson finally show its customers a little respect?

14. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Supporting Member

Oh hell, you know it. "That's a cool guitar man but I would need $300 off the price without the bench pic."

Gurn likes this.
  15. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Member

Time to head to Kalamazoo, round up the Heritage boys, pack up the block planes and draw knives, then off to Nashville for a long overdue intervention. Your gonna regret this one, Henry.

Gurn likes this.
  16. Tony Bones

Tony Bones Member

I can see the scenario:

Employee to Henry J: "Customers are complaining that we're not paying enough attention to quality control."

Henry J:"But we already put that card in with all the signatures. Wait, I've got an idea! From now on, every guitar ships with a picture of it on a QC bench. That will prove once and for all that we care about quality."

What makes the whole thing even more hilarious is that the person that was tasked with the job didn't seem to care how well it was done. In other words: no concern for quality. What we get is a crappy hand-held photo from a point-n-shoot with a flash providing glare. If that particular employee actually cared about quality at Gibson, then they would have taken the time to setup a fixed camera (i.e. a tripod, but more permanent) that would take a quality picture reflecting the care that is put into each instrument.

I normally am not interested in the Gibson bashing bandwagon, but looking at those pictures, what they say to me is that everyone at Gibson is doing what they're told, right up until quitting time. And not an ounce more.

transmission likes this.
  17. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Member

You cared enough to stop practicing, get onto the internet and post this. Doesn't look like practicing from here.

transmission likes this.
  18. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

Who said anything about practicing. I play.

19. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Member

Either way -- And yet here you are again -- not practicing or playing, commenting in a thread where you don't give a $hit.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017