Gibson's various Korina Flying V reissues

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Darl, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Darl

Darl Supporting Member

Wow it looks great in person and the neck is very well finished - rounded edges and nice fret work. Plays fantastic.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Roe and ~Abstract~ like this.
  2. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

It's only fake if it has a Gibson logo and is trying to be passed off as a Gibson. Fact is, there are a number of 58 V recreations; the Hamer Korina Vector, the Bacchus BFV58 etc., which are more accurate to the original than some of Gibson's reissues. The first reissues, made in the early 80s for instance, weren't accurate at all. Doesn't make them bad guitars of course. And they do have the look. And of course the Epiphones aren't accurate either. They can definitely be excused at those prices. Ironically, the earlier Korean made models are often considered most desirable, but the construction details on those are actually less correct than the later Chinese and Indonesian made versions.

What many of us would love to see is a Gibson version at a regular production price. As far as I'm concerned, it wouldn't have to be Korina, and I wouldn't even mind some less "correct" cost cutting details. For instance, none of the cheaper (Epiphone) versions have the headstock "wings" of the original. A regular Gibson production version wouldn't need to either. Just give us the 58 shape, string through body and neck joint just like the Chinese Epiphones. Make it out of mahogany and sell it to us at a price comparable to the 67 style Vs. There are both reasonably priced production Les Pauls and historically accurate CS reissues. Give us the same choices in a 58 style V. I'm sure they'd sell.

Daka3 and ~Abstract~ like this.
  3. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I played the Bonamassa Amos unplugged the other day and wasn't knocked out. It didn't seem very resonant, but then, I didn't plug it in. There was no little voice in my head saying, "Take me home." The neck was a tad too thin for me.

4. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Supporting Member

Korina is cool, and one day I'll probably have one too.

But, keep in mind, an average cut of Mahogany such as Honduran versus Black Limba (Korina) are very similar woods as far as "tone woods" go in terms of how porous they are and their average weights/strength/hardness etc. I know once you get to that level folks always claim to hear a distinct difference but fwiw they are still quite close down to the basic cellular structure.

5. ~Abstract~

~Abstract~ Member

Get outta my head!!!

6. TylerE

TylerE Member

WHITE limba. Black Limba is a bit of a different beast entirely, especially in terms of looks, but also density. (It's not a heartwood vs sapwood thing - black limba is mineral impregnated, white limba isn't)

7. datguytim

datguytim Member

My friend, an excellent guitar builder, made me a '58 Korina V clone, with all the correct measurements (neck angle, headstock angle & pitch, chunky neck, deep tenon, real old white limba, correct grain lines, finish, etc. Reference point was a real '58 Gibson V dissected. This thing sings like you wouldn't believe. Kills every Gibson RI I ever tried. How do I post pics now that photobucket has turned into photosuckit?

8. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Supporting Member

Did I type Black? I did, lol, haha, thanks for the heads up. I promise I'm not wood racist.

9. Darl

Darl Supporting Member

Upload pics from phone or computer to this site https://imgbb.com/ and after it uploads copy/ paste the links (choose BBCodes full linked) here.

10. Darl

Darl Supporting Member

Gotta say, the Epi Amos plays great. Can't say whether it's worth the extra money over the standard Epi V as I never played that one. The neck is chunky and surprisingly the balance is good. I was worried about that. It sits nicely upright when standing with a strap. Great playing position actually. And a reasonable weight, well under 8 pounds. The pickups sound very good - they are sort of lower gain and spanky but obviously easily swapped to whatever you want. I would highly recommend this guitar if you're looking for a V.

11. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Can you tell if yours is solid korina or a veneer @Darl?

12. Darl

Darl Supporting Member

How would I see that, maybe looking at the control cavity?

13. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Taking off the neck pickup should help-it would show the type of neck tenon (it's supposed to be an extended tenon, almost or all the way thru the cavity) and if the orientation of the gain of the wood in the bottom of the cavity is the same as it is on the top and back. The control cavity would be easier but less definitive. So far, no one has posted a pic from the neck pickup cavity, so you'll be the first!

14. paulbearer

paulbearer Supporting Member

The one (JB-V) I played definitely didn't have anything close to a chunky neck.
    Maybe they're inconsistent? (Or one man's chunky is another etc etc)

15. Darl

Darl Supporting Member

16. GulfportBound

GulfportBound Member

I have a 2008 67RI Flying V with a unique paint job (an artist named Hugo Rodriguez painted it in 2012, based on one of his
    music-themed paintings, the only such Flying V he painted) . . .

[​IMG]

(I saw that guitar hanging in Sam Ash one fine day and kept staring, so the girl behind the counter handed it to me and
    said, "Go ahead, play it!" So I played. And played. (Quietly, through a Fender amp.) A little horse trading for gear I
    no longer needed and she was all mine. The P94 pickups were my own mod, after the Dragon IIs she came with turned
    out to be lame as the day was long when all was said and done. What a difference!)

. . . and, an Epiphone 58 Korina V . . .

[​IMG]
    (I swapped out the stock black knobs for the gold ones. Liked the look better.)

. . . and both these guitars play beautifully.

Darl likes this.
  17. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

LOL.

I don't know if I've mentioned it but I did own one of the Korean made Epiphone Vs from the 90s. As you can see, I've been chasing a nice 58 style V for a long time. When Epi first came out with theirs, we had a Musician's Friend retail store here (now GC) and the MF warehouse was here as well. In those days, they'd run over to the warehouse and grab 3 examples for me to choose from. They all sounded about the same and all would need some fretwork so I chose the one that looked the best. I put in a set of Seth Lovers and had my guy do a full setup, which included a fret level and dress, work on the nut, etc. So it played great. In the end though, It just didn't feel solid or something. I played it on stage quite a bit but finally sold it and the search continued. Around 2005 or so I bought a Gibson CS Flying V Custom from a collector selling it on ebay. It was actually the very one in the photo on Gibson's website at the time. That one also needed the full fret level, etc., after which it was a great sounding and playing V. But I was really bugged by the shoddy QC: binding "ledge" all the way around, crooked screws, flecks of foreign matter in the finish, etc. I don't know. To this day I think maybe it was rushed together for the photo shoot. In any event, I sold that one as well.

These days I really wish I'd bought a Hamer Korina Vector or a Gibson CS mahogany V back when both were way more affordable. Because these days I can't get close to what they're asking for those models and I still want a 58 style V. At this point I'm strongly leaning toward Bacchus. The original MIJ versions haven't been made for awhile but they do turn up now and then, generally priced under $1000. So unless Gibson relents and comes out with a 58 style priced like their production 67 style...

Bob Pollock likes this.
  18. Bluesdaddy

Bluesdaddy Member

I just recently got a Hamer Vector Korina in a trade and I put the quality up there with the Gibson custom shop guitars I have , maybe better.
    They're getting harder to find and the prices seem pretty substantial but definitely well built v with solid korina.

bluegrif likes this.
  19. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Supporting Member

I've been trying to score a korina style V (note, it doesn't necessarily even have to be korina) such as an Ibeenhad Rock and Roll Sr. The lead player in my first (and only) band had one back in the late '70s. he traded it towards an Iceman (the band was originally a KISS tribute band, back before tribute bands existed). A few years ago I started looking for them and sad to say people are paying stupid money (2K) for them and I refuse to play that game. I've been looking at the epi korina V but yet to see one in the flesh. I did play an epi explorer I liked but couldn't pull the trigger on and next time I was in the area the store had closed.

The custom shop are horrendously overpriced and I might as well be trying to buy an original, I'll never be paying those kind of prices for a guitar unless I marry into some big money.

Wasn't there a luthier selling korina V and SG in the emporium some time in the last couple of years?

20. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Supporting Member

what are the Hamers going for these days?