• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Gig able high quality backing tracks

roflo

Music budgets are getting so small around my area that I am considering doing some solo gigs with backing tracks. I know it's blasphemy but need to put a bit more Mula in the pocket these days. I do a lot of jazz stuff and have that area pretty well covered but would also like to add some cool old r&b tunes and also contemporary tunes in there just to keep it fresh. I am having a hard time finding high quality backing tracks that sound great for a professional music situation. So far I found Bobbys backing track which sound amazing but a bit pricey when you start buying a bunch. Where do you guys who do solo gigs find your great sounding tracks for classic rock,r&b, soul and softer contemporary music. I am looking more for backing tracks for specific song not just jam out progression , classic stuff people would know even if there is a little bit of a different twist to them.
Before I get a lot of people saying use the fricken search engine I already did that and the last pertinent thread specifically what I need is back in 2012......so I know in this internet age a lot can change in three years so let's hear what you guys are getting your from. They must be hi quality sounding. Thanks guy!I

Cb

Try your local library. Mine (Cincinnati) has a feature for patrons called freegalmusic.com - I can download 7 MP3's free each week. There are 1,000's of artists available, and a surprising number of karaoke or backing tracks, often by real bands that sound very good. Check Amazon also, especially the Aebersold backings. The Aebersold series (over 100 CD's so far) include a few terrific B3 backing CD's, including one done by Joey Defrancesco!

eyeteeth

I make my own. I don't gig with them, but have thought about it. I just wanted a way to practice and thought everything I found online was garbage. All I have for a backing track is bass/drums... then I play guitar and sing over 'em. (Just like the gigging with the 3 piece) Great way to crank up and practice when the band isn't there.

e???

Watched a guy do this who's gig I'm about to get, cause I like to check out the setting before I do a gig. Pretty disappointing. Takes all the live out of it, might as well just do karaoke. There's just no spontaneity or soul to it. So predictable you're bored with a song before it's 10 seconds in... sorry I guess I'm being a hater and troll, but I would just do what you can with your guitar. A looper is a different story because you're creating it right before their eyes. And you can mess it all up in a second. That's live, at least to me. IMHO, YMMV, and all that stuff...

swiveltung

Watched a guy do this who's gig I'm about to get, cause I like to check out the setting before I do a gig. Pretty disappointing. Takes all the live out of it, might as well just do karaoke. There's just no spontaneity or soul to it. So predictable you're bored with a song before it's 10 seconds in... sorry I guess I'm being a hater and troll, but I would just do what you can with your guitar. A looper is a different story because you're creating it right before their eyes. And you can mess it all up in a second. That's live, at least to me. IMHO, YMMV, and all that stuff...
Yeah, I hear you; played a small gig Wednesday. Just a 2 hour duo thing. When we were done, about 3 people came up and said things like : "wow, real musicians, it's nice to hear some real music by musicians not computer stuff for a change."
But I can see where backing tracks have their place too.... due to budgets...

stratocat63

Gold Supporting Member
Just
I make my own. I don't gig with them, but have thought about it. I just wanted a way to practice and thought everything I found online was garbage. All I have for a backing track is bass/drums... then I play guitar and sing over 'em. (Just like the gigging with the 3 piece) Great way to crank up and practice when the band isn't there.
This is my approach, I gig with them though. After doing it for many years I have definite preferences that have worked their way into my process.

When you go into a gig with a bassist and a drummer, the bassist is generally playing one bass; the drummer isn't changing snares and kicks for each song. I want to simulate that experience and sound. The sound of three guys on a gig. Usually at lower volume. So, same snare samples, same kicks in all my gig tracks. No processing to speak of, either, so they sound as close as I can get them to a guy playing an un mic'd kit at a small gig. Only simpler than a real drummer would play for reasons I am going to give below.

As far as it being boring, I deal with that by keeping my tracks largely accent free, very few rolls. Not only are big drum rolls inside gig tracks distracting in my view (calls attention to the drums, and the fact that there is no drummer which I do not want people thinking about), they lock me in to phrasing things that same way every time that part comes up. I feel like I can do enough to add flavors on the guitar as it is a percussive instrument after all. That way, I am not locked in and can go with what I may be feeling at the time. Much better experience for the player, I think.

If one is to buy them, I suggest you at least try to find some that are stemmed out so you can mute things. Like keys... if you want to work with a keyboard guy, bass if you want to work with a bassist, and by all means NO guitar on them if you are a guitar player. In my view anyway.

For those that hate them, they are what they are. They will not be more fun than playing with good musicians, ever. For me or the audience. OTOH I have gone to plenty of gigs where the players made me wish I had my tracks, crappy no groove and/or no time and/or no dynamics drumming, self indulgent bass players, etc.

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, I hear you; played a small gig Wednesday. Just a 2 hour duo thing. When we were done, about 3 people came up and said things like : "wow, real musicians, it's nice to hear some real music by musicians not computer stuff for a change."
But I can see where backing tracks have their place too.... due to budgets...
Right ... as if those who play with Backing Tracks somehow are disqualified as real musicians.
At least you have an open mind and understand that 'budgets' available are everything now days.
What backing tracks have done is make a solo, duet or whatever sound like a complete band.
Would even say in many cases, this is slowly becoming the 'standard' expectation ...

IMO .. nothing quickly grows more tedious than hearing/watching a guy lay down loops for every single song ...
Becomes very tiring, even fatiguing to the ears when it's constantly the same frequency's for all the parts when only a guitar sound is used.

Yes you are being a hater & a troll by even posting in this thread ...

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
I just listened to a track a buddy recorded where he used the latest version of BIAB. I was blown away by the horns and vibes sound. They have done a great job with drums in the recent past. Pretty flexible software.

My version is 5-6 years older. Needs an update.

roflo

I am the OP of this thread and Hey you are preaching to the choir.....i am a jazz player and studio guy in town and make 100 percent of my income from studio work , playing live and a little teaching. Nothing does my soul better than playing with a burning straight ahead jazz trio or quartet but gigs around here just dont pay anymore. The weekend warrior lawyers and doctors who want to get away from the wife and kids a few times a week have eaten up most of the good gigs in town because most of them will work to close to nothing because they dont need the cash. Leaving us working pro musician scrambling to make $100 total for a 3 hour gig. How do I hire 2 other musicians to on that kind of pay. so if I want to gig more to make a bit more money doing this solo thing is the current viable option at this point. Of course I would rather be playing with a group of live musician but not if I am going to be bringing home 30-50 dollars for a 3-4 hour , never mind set up time and loading out.
Thanks again who have made the point of directing me to some usable backing tracks for current situation.

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
I am the OP of this thread and Hey you are preaching to the choir.....i am a jazz player and studio guy in town and make 100 percent of my income from studio work , playing live and a little teaching. Nothing does my soul better than playing with a burning straight ahead jazz trio or quartet but gigs around here just dont pay anymore. The weekend warrior lawyers and doctors who want to get away from the wife and kids a few times a week have eaten up most of the good gigs in town because most of them will work to close to nothing because they dont need the cash. Leaving us working pro musician scrambling to make $100 total for a 3 hour gig. How do I hire 2 other musicians to on that kind of pay. so if I want to gig more to make a bit more money doing this solo thing is the current viable option at this point. Of course I would rather be playing with a group of live musician but not if I am going to be bringing home 30-50 dollars for a 3-4 hour , never mind set up time and loading out.
Thanks again who have made the point of directing me to some usable backing tracks for current situation.
YEP ... You are living in the 'real world' ...it's just the way it is.