gig fx pro chop

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mr. Limbic, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Mr. Limbic

Mr. Limbic Member

Anyone have experience with this? Looking into some beat synced stuff like my pitchfactor, but I haven't found any decent demos of this pedal...im playing electronic rock, so if this effect doesn't sound too cheesy then I would be all over it

2. feralchild

feralchild Member

Yeah I use one with my Pitchfactor, and as I said on that other thread (about the Space sounding like SSSSHHHHH*******) it makes for one f**king awesome combo if you're into live electronica type stuff.

I'll gladly answer any questions you have. No, it doesn't sound cheesy, tone is as clean as any other A/D/A pedal on my board. In fact this is the only one I have in front of my amp input, the rest are in the FX loop. It's the only non-analog pedal that I have up front.

I've been having a little bit of noise issue with it, which I also mentioned on that other thread. Still testing to determine the cause, it might not be a prob with the pedal but if you get a chance to demo it, definitely see if you can hear it for yourself.

Not many alternatives out there for midi synced chop trem. I would like to try a Goatkeeper but man they are pricey. For now the Pro Chop does a great job as long as I'm not trying to play quiet with the amp cranked... that's when I hear some static.

3. feralchild

feralchild Member

Correction: Goatkeeper takes CV/click sync and expression input, but does not support MIDI. I still want one.

4. Mr. Limbic

Mr. Limbic Member

Thanks so much def looking into that combo...are you syncing them with your computer, or just 1 effect in to the other?

5. feralchild

feralchild Member

Just one into the other. I use Pitchfactor as master. Midi chain looks like this:

Pitchfactor > Timefactor > 2880 > ProChop

The Chop is always at the end because it only has MIDI in, no out.

Sometimes I slave the P.F. to Ableton Live (which basically slaves my whole guitar rig).

But I am currently torn on whether/how I should use Live's looping capabilities. My mind seems to work better when my guitar rig is in charge and the looping is handled by the 2880. If I slave things to Live, I feel like, well, a slave to Live!

Things seem to work the best for me when the P.F. is the master and Live is just used for synths and multitrack recording. The P.F. works great as a MIDI master, and I have one of the aux footswitch buttons set to Tap Tempo so I can set my tempo in one place and all my other pedals obey. Very useful.

6. Mr. Limbic

Mr. Limbic Member

Sweet, im with you on the ableton, but I use it as a midi keyboard and don't see myself crossing the line of guitat>computer territory, especially if the chop and pitchfactor can do what I think they can...got any audio/video of this setup or sample sound?

7. feralchild

feralchild Member

I have some demos (http://soundcloud.com/feralchild/sets/currentstuff/) of my recent Pitchfactor + 2880 looping experiments, but none of the pro-chop specifically. But I may be able to lay down some examples, if I have time tonight (going away this weekend.)

I'm still learning new tricks to do with this stuff. I only started MIDI syncing about 3-4 months ago.

The Pro Chop can be heard on this track at about 2:10 but it's not synced, just using it as a variable speed chop (a cool effect in its own right).
    http://soundcloud.com/feralchild/me-bud-eli-sean-jam-a
    Probably not the best example...

8. Mr. Limbic

Mr. Limbic Member

nice, diggin that 2880+pitchfactor jam...dont have any clips of my beat synced stuff either, but here is a sample of me using the pitchfactor for harmonies, and I think it does a pretty decent job, hopefully there will be some audio from the tour im leaving for tomorrow so i can see what the synced stuff sounds like

http://soundcloud.com/theuntz/zoogma-ayers-rock

9. feralchild

feralchild Member

Hi, I'm checking in from the road. I did get a chance to make a demonstration of the Pro Chop + Pitchfactor, and I just u/l'd it.

http://soundcloud.com/feralchild/sets/eventide-pitchfactor-gig-fx

I actually learned a few things myself in the process. Can't wait to get back to the studio and mess around some more.

Thanks for the comment on that 2880 jam, that's using the Harpeggiator I believe. So fun... I'll try check out your link when I get another chance to get online, we have to head out again. Cheers :beer