GIG gone terribly wrong - tell your stories....

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by lavinci, Dec 5, 2018.

1. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

i don't know if i've seen a better example of explaining just how "paint by numbers" this all is. sounds almost like using a MIDI sequencer, and showing up to a gig without your floppy disks.

...and you call yourselves musicians? :p

2. Dasein

Dasein Member

No one expected the bus driver to abscond with the bus -- when you show up at these festivals it's an all day affair - you don't know when you are on or what the timeline is so leaving stuff in the bus was pretty reasonable (I've gotten to festivals at 6:00am and played at 7:00pm) --- but I never ever trusted leaving anything behind again. Worst part was we were favoured to win -- we had the tightest rhythm section on the coast and one of the best lead trumpet players I ever worked with ---- but without music we were lost. I faked it through the whole gig with a smile but we sucked... our band leader/teacher was heartbroken.

aliensporebomb and lavinci like this.
  3. Digidog

Digidog Member

It was good for all that he didn't have to do a twosie... His singing would occasionally have become somewhat compressed and the splashes, or worse: the running, would've been horrible to hear through the PA.

lavinci likes this.
  4. uitar99

uitar99 Member

Were playing a gig at a local dive, part of a 4 band thing set up by a music store in town.

Had a patron, drinking heavily, dancing right next to the riser and eyeing the various guys in the bands as they played.

Got to our turn, she kept drinking, kept dancing, eyed the guys, opened her mouth which showcased she had no teeth, gave us a big smile, then threw up in front of us.

Luckily, no splash. She just kept dancing

5. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

Our bassist forgot his amp for our last gig. Fortunately our first set was top loaded with acoustic stuff as they like us to be quite before 9. He played through my acoustic guitar amp while I plugged my acoustic into my regular amp until his wife arrived with his amp about 40 minutes into the set.

The good news is his wife, who normally wouldn't attend, is a photographer and she took a number of great shots over the balance of the evening.

lavinci likes this.
  6. Franklin

Franklin Member

There are so many bad gig stories where alcohol or drugs are involved!!

7. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

Yep, I remember one brother just launching himself upon his bass player brother for a fist fight. Rt in front of everyone.

Once we hardly started when someone ran in shouting a bomb threat had been phoned in.

Everyone had to leave.
    We grabbed our amps quick as we could [already had the check!].

Party was over.
    Turned out to be from the groom's jealous ex girlfriend.

Porfirio, beanbass, lavinci and 3 others like this.
  8. bearbike137

bearbike137 Supporting Member

106 humid degrees in Chicago at 9 pm. Indoor gig. Air conditioning broken. Does the place close? Nope. Show must go on. Maybe 4 people show up the whole evening.

lavinci likes this.
  9. Exodus5

Exodus5 Supporting Member

My band's first gig was arranged by our drummer who had talked some of our friends (another local band) into letting us open for them at the VFW hall in his small hometown. We expected to come in with a small PA and no real lighting, but they came in with this big PA and light setup.
    1st - Their light and sound guy wanted nothing to do with helping us with our lights. The sound settings were left at the OTHER bands settings and they didn't want us to touch them so they got a soundcheck and we got nothing....so that was horrible. One of our friends was running the lights for us and he had no idea what he was doing. Multiple times we were starting a song and I found myself about to kick in while in total darkness. I couldn't even see my hand in front of my face. I had been playing 3 years maybe and I was lost on the fretboard in the dark.
    2nd - Our guitar player had a big rack system (did I mention this was the late 80's?) and two 50w Marshall half stacks. Every time he hit the first chord he blew the breaker for this old building. This happened 3 or 4 times before we finally convinced him he only needed one halfstack and no rack system for the smallish room with 50 or so people watching.
    3rd - Those 50 or so people were all friends of our drummer or girlfriends of band members. All but the girlfriends left as soon as our band was done. This caused the other band's members to blame us and be severely pissed during their "set". We never played with them again.

lavinci likes this.
  10. bob-i

bob-i Member

How about a horror story that came out good in the end...

I had a bunch of summer gigs at a lakeside bar, outside near the tiki bar, solo using backing tracks. One afternoon a sudden thunderstorm came in, I threw a tarp over my gear and while waiting it out we lost power. The owner fired up his very old generator but it just barely kept the coolers going. I was soaked to the bone.

With the storm still hovering around, we had an influx of boats, stacked up 2-3 deep at the docks. The owner was talking to me saying he wished he could get me power, entertainment might keep people there longer.

I grabbed my acoustic, pulled up a stool near the bar and started playing and singing. People joined in while I played every song I could think of, and a bunch I never did before. Turned out to be one of the best afternoons both as a musician and at the register.

My gear survived, and I got paid a few hours OT as well.

11. cadduc

cadduc Member

One year, after playing the Brentwood CA, Cornfest, a 1 1/2 hour set, outside, it was 106' F, it took me a good 45 minutes to recover from near heat stroke, in my van with the AC running at full blast.

Bluedano1 and lavinci like this.
  12. cadduc

cadduc Member

My cousin, a drummer, who was 6 yrs older than I and was a local drum teacher, called me for a casual. No rehearsal, with his uncle on tenor, a keyboard player, and a singer, with me on bass, playing standards at a wedding, for 4 hours, @ $250/man. Charts would be used and these would be all standards. Sure I will do this. I was gigging 5-7 nights at that time and thought I was hot stuff.

Show up and set up. No one else is there. The other players arrive 10 minutes before the start time. Other than my cousin, the players are all my parents age. Turns out, there are no charts. The sax player says don't worry, and follow me, and I will call out keys and changes. "Besides," he says, "these are standards, and you know them." Well I knew of them. Some I had heard before, but not many.

With the exception of some dentist appointments, it was the longest 4 hours I have experienced ever.

13. StJimmy

StJimmy Member

How does someone forget to bring their amp to a gig?

strat62, Jonny G and lavinci like this.
  14. HaroldBrooks

HaroldBrooks Member

Many moons ago... played a block party for pay, and two or three drunks started to cuss us out for playing hard rock. That's basically all we did at the time ! The guy who hired us knew that as well. So... we took an hour or so break, and (amazingly) learned a few Beatles songs and 50's tunes virtually on the spot ! We got through the next hour with a lot of applause, and once EVERYONE was more or less tanked, we started to play our intended set list. They now loved it !!! Even the ONE guy with the biggest mouth of the bunch screamed " Sounds great, not like before ! ". I learned an important lesson about being a musician that day, and that was you first play for your audience, (... and only later you can play for yourself ! )

15. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

That's a very good question and one for which I have no answer.

lavinci likes this.
  16. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Member

Terribly wrong?

When we had quite a bit of time left for our second set but the soundman tells us, "one more song, guys".

This was an original singer songwriter with a good local following and we had a nice crowd of people there for us, who paid the cover and kept the bartender busy. The guy who booked for the club sought us out for the slot (we didn't pursue it- they wanted us to be there). So we finished that last song and then asked what was up.

"People upstairs won't come down until the DJ starts".

:FM

Ugh. Sometimes I wonder why we bother. Almost 6 years ago to the day but it still gets to me.

That was my last gig before a very long hiatus. Nothing against DJs, either. Just the choice the club made at the time.

crambone likes this.
  17. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

I had to pee once during a song but to be fair my guitar was not very prominent (Patsy Cline's "Crazy" and we had keys so they really carried the weight). I didn't start the song when they did, walked to the backstage bathroom with my guitar still slung (wireless), did my deed, walked back on stage and started playing in time for the key change. It actually ended-up sounding better with the dynamic of me not playing until then so from then on I played it that way, lol.

johnkoz, beanbass and lemonman like this.
  18. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

did anything become of the bus driver? did he at least get a tongue-lashing by the band leader?

aliensporebomb and beanbass like this.
  19. eddie famine

eddie famine Member

Our drummer once forgot to bring the other guitarist. He said it was a mistake but on closer questioning admitted he couldn’t stand him anymore and just didn’t get him. Maybe he’ll show up, but let’s just go as a trio tonight. He didn’t show, we did the trio and it went over very well. Still got paid as the 4 piece!
    Now what was the forgotten guitarist going to do? No one got a phone call a text, email or anything. Never showed up at practice ( well we did change spots ) nothing. Somebody checked to make sure he wasn’t dead or anything. I think he moved to Wisconsin.

20. PFunk

PFunk Member

Similar thing here, but I think that it was at a holiday party back in the mid eighties with my old lounge-band that played mainly that kind of stuff and most always to the “50 and up crowd.” We had just finished the last swingin tune of the set and could see that a guy had to sit down, but still looked stable while some people were evaluating his condition. So we made some room and then got out of they way, eventually stepping outside. Within a few minutes an ambulance comes racing up and it wasn’t long before they’re wheeling the guy out. While passing in front of us our drummer (who had kind of an Ed McMahan voice and after blowing out a plume of the first drag of his cigarette) mutters “for god sakes Paul, looks like some people are just dyin’ to see us...”

Thumpalumpacus and Lef T like this.