GIG gone terribly wrong - tell your stories....

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by lavinci, Dec 5, 2018 at 7:55 AM.

1. keefsdad

keefsdad Member

I was playing a really nice Gibson acoustic at a benefit, supplied by them. I brought my own headstock tuner. I played and sang a few songs by myself, it was ok but something felt weird. I had asked my friend a very nice female piano player to join me on the last few songs. I started into Copperhead Road in D, she came in and was out of tune. I gave her a bit of a look and she adjusted very quickly. The next day i was watching a video somebody took of me, I picked up my guitar, and sure enough, I was playing a semitone sharp. I'd had the tuner for a while, it always worked fine, and I hadn't accidentally changed the setting, it just decided I wanted E# all of a sudden. I apologized to my friend the pianist the next day.;)

2. oldtelefart

oldtelefart Member

Another fire story: Band got hired to play for an ad agency's Christmas party.
    Hawaiian theme, there were paper-mache/cardboard palm trees and volcanos all over the place, paper flowers all over the fairly low ceiling.

Halfway through the event, the featured act was our friend Bridget, a fire-dancer/stripper. Bridget had had a few drinks and a few tokes while waiting.
    The first big blast of fire she spat out ignited the ceiling decorations, which ignited the big room backdrops.

Everybody made it out OK, our equipment included.

3. Digidog

Digidog Member

Once at a gig at a fairly big club venue, we were grooving out of (is it KC and the Sunshine Band's?) "That's the Way I Like It", and the lead singer throws himself out from the stage on a great crowdsurfing tour, whilst exchanging the outro lyrics with the background singers and the horns. The band and the crowd was totally on fire, and the bass player decided he should surf the audience too and threw himself right off the stage. The MAJOR issue was that where he stood, there wasn't enough density in the crowd to support him and people instinctively knew that when he got into the air - and pulled out. He slammed the floor so hard that he was knocked unconscious, the stage was like 5 or 6 feet high, he broke his bass into several pieces (a great playing fretless Jazz Bass) and created an explosive boom through the PA of a magnitude that actually felled people both on and off stage to the ground.

It was ambulance to the hospital with a concussion, cracked rib(s), a broken wrist and, if I remember it right, a broken leg or ankle too. No more "I Like It" that night.

That very same bassist borrowed a $-multi-thousand rig (a top and a cabinet) for testing, earlier on the same tour. He let noone but himself handle the rig, and he had a cart to pull it on and off stage. Everything was fine and well and the roadies subsequently learned to tip-toe around his precious load, on his little, and totally insufficient cart. Until the night after a gig at a concert hall turned into a club he parked his little overloaded cart right in front of a 30 feet staircase shaft, with a very steep, steel staircase leading down to the under-stage area, and leaned his bass on it. The horrible noise of that VERY expensive rig tumbling down, almost step by step, and the sound of a splintering cabinet, will haunt me - like the scream this poor bassist let out when we all saw that the cart and its load were tipping over. First in slow motion, and then in a movement that seemed to suck out the air from its surroundings.

4. TelePrankster

TelePrankster Member

You didn't describe a "typical bass player". I'm sorry for your friend, but you just described a total idiot.

lavinci and ChampReverb like this.
  5. strat62

strat62 Member

i have a sort of similar story,

played a bar gig awhile back where halfway thru the song i realize all of a sudden i can't hear the drummer

i turn around and the kit is empty and think wtf?? the rest of us look at each other bewildered and hastily wrap up and end the tune and announce we'll be taking short break

i go to the restroom to take a leak ( small bar with just one stall ) and discover a huge pile of steaming s#$t in one of the urinals. back out to the stage where i'm relaying this new info to the rest of the band when the aforementioned drummer appears head down with a sheepish look on his face

turns out he overdid a burrito/beer combo before the gig and was really percolating....can't wait any longer and bolts for the john mid-song but some other guy is already in there, so.....

we called him "Uri" from then on

6. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

Mid-late 70s, a typical Saturday night in Cowtown.

We're about to launch into a tune (can't recall the title), but the setup for the solo had the singer going "Make a deal" 16 times in 4 bars at tempo, and he had trouble with it. He sidles up to me and says he's gonna kill it this time.

About 8 "Make a deal"s in the vocals stop. I take my solo, then another, and another. No singer, WTF?

Eventually I see him wending his way through the crowd and onto the stage. In new pants.

lavinci and strat62 like this.
  7. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Gold Supporting Member

Playing some actual juke in Louisiana the band says “ go on in there tell ‘em to unlock the back door”. In I go. BIGGEST guy I’ve ever seen in my life is at the bar. He looks at me and says “ what y’all want here”.
    “I’m with the band can we get in the back?” Says I.
    Guy at the bar half laughs and says “y’all got a weapon? “
    Stunned I replied “no”.
    Guy gets up and walks toward me and says “y’all want one?”
    “Do I need one?” i asked being really nervous now.
    He just smiled and said “Maybe, depends on how good you play”

Fortunately turns out I didn’t need one that night.

8. TelePrankster

TelePrankster Member

Being so stoned that you crap in your pants should be a mystic experience. I did all my best during my youth but never reached the "pro" level, I guess.
    :)

9. Digidog

Digidog Member

If you by that refer to my story, I can say that the guy is/was a hell of a good bassist and groovy like funk itself. Stylistically very versatile and knowledgable, but a total quirk with Keith-Moon-esque manners and freakish, sometimes scaring whims striking out of the blue. Totally unexpected and with, more often than not, horrifying consequences. There are so many horrendous stories I've been through being around him, that I alone could keep a thread on that going for, like, twenty pages and not have gone through them all. Not to mention that there must be other people with experiences from knowing him, or playing with him.

We were never friends per se, but we happened to play and tour a lot at a time. Now, and since many years, I've no idea where he is or what he does - not even if he still lives, given his rather self destructive behaviour.

Thumpalumpacus and TelePrankster like this.
  10. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Told before and easily searchable...

Tl;Dr version: bass player showed up for trio wedding gig at couples' house about 3 hours late due to mistaking "1" for"4" on his handwritten note with the gig time. A 3-hour wedding reception gig doing a White Stripes imitation (drums& guitar) was not the plan. :confused:

lavinci likes this.
  11. Telejester

Telejester Member

All that is missing from this story is a huge Brrrrrrrrffffffffffrrrrrrrttttttttp whilst he is in mid piss

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  12. Franklin

Franklin Member

How many of have stories of being on the road or traveling for a gig only to play to empty venues?

Maybe not gigs gone "horribly wrong", but it was always painful to show up at some venue and the place is packed with locals -only to be directed to some room three flights below or above.... No elevators -and of course, very few patrons!

That happened more times than I care to count. :)

lavinci and Fishyfishfish like this.
  13. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I’ve got plenty of “gigs that sucked” stories- but I think the first one that pops into my head is flying out to LA (we’re from Wisconsin) to do some high profile thing- there’s some pretty decent money involved, for us and it seemed the whole event was quite enabled. Fancy stage built for the event, fancy decorations, catering, models... hot, young models...

So we’re supposed to be there early in the afternoon for sound check- we’re supposed to be running through the rented back line- and supposed to be able to get back to the hotel and hang out, then go to the venue- have dinner, do the event, play... then party. We sat there ALL EFFING AFTERNOON as these effing Los Angeles industry professionals couldn’t set up the damn PA. A couple of the bands sort of did a sound check- and I was talking to a couple of the guitar players from one of the bands that sound checked (they were from LA) and said it sounded horrible on stage- and it sounded awful and screechy in the house- and outside. We didn’t get to sound check. We didn’t get to go back to the hotel- fortunately we were not wearing shorts or tan pants...

The event starts late. Way, way late. This is the fanciest event I’ve been a part of- or even been to. But it is BY FAR the most unprofessional ****-show cluster**** I’ve seen. Run by, ostsensibly, Los Angelese entertainment industry professionals- with a HUGE budget to make it good. One of the bands on the bill got sick of the BS and actually left. LEFT. I was hanging out with Chynna, the wrestler chick (a very nice, sweet, cool young lady)- and we went on HOURS late. We got up, the PA is pretty much non-existent, they give the rhythm guitar player a little Champ sized combo to play through- for a huge auditorium. The sound guys are trying to find something to mic it with... While we’re on stage. I won’t forget him saying “JUST PUT A ****ING MIC IN FRONT OF IT - I DON’T CARE IF THERE’S A ******** CABLE GOING TO THE MIC- JUST PUT A ****ING MIC IN FRONT OF IT.”

We “played,” couldn’t hear ****- but it apparently went over fine.

About half way through the night the models got told that they weren’t getting paid. This nice young lady that had been hanging out with us all day went walking out with a huge box of makeup and stuff. This was around 20 years ago- I don’t remember if we got paid... but it was a cluster**** of epic proportions.

Colossal **** show.

14. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

I lived in L.A. for 5 years and what I quickly discovered was that 99% of all "industry pros" were people who were trying to talk their way into the entertainment industry and generally had no f***ing clue what they were doing. The people I knew who actually made a living in the industry never talked about it because they knew they would immediately be mobbed by the wannabes looking for a stepping stone into the business. And there were plenty of creeps who did have some "in" to the business who would mercilessly use people, dangling the carrot to get free work, but never actually giving people a shot. As much as I liked L.A. as a place to live, the pervasive stench of the industry made it hard to function there.

ripgtr, Digidog, Trevordog and 3 others like this.
  15. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

This point has been made already. ;)

lavinci likes this.
  16. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

probably not the worse thing comparatively, but the place being cleared by our stuck on fog machine was a pretty bad gig moment.

17. crossbones

crossbones Member

18. beanbass

beanbass Member

That's sad, she's trying to do something nice for her husband and he's just a dick about it. He apparently made her feel bad about it, so she took it out on you guys.

Tonekat and kiki_90291 like this.
  19. beatnik

beatnik Member

We were booked into a club right across the street from the dorms at Texas A&M. We were assured by the singer that even though we were getting paid the door, the joint is ALWAYS jumping and packed.

We drive the 3.5 hours from D/FW and got set up in the upstairs concrete wall and steel floor bar (a beautiful and fully functional outside bar and stage were available and it was a completely gorgeous weather-wise evening). Then we waited.

My folks, sister, and her husband showed up at 9 and that is who we played to.

We did the post-mortem on the gig and realized the singer had booked us on Memorial Day weekend and school had let out the Thursday before.

Not only did we drive 7 hours and made 5 bucks, the sound in the concrete and steel box was horrific.

My ears still ring.

I have more but I have blocked them from my memory. I should have tequila and revisit the past.

beanbass, redragon and Lef T like this.
  20. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Do tell.

=k

ChampReverb and Lef T like this.