Gig Weirdness Last Night - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 62Tele, Oct 13, 2019.

1. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Pedalboard checked out fine before the gig and worked great during the first set. After the break, both my board (Powered with a PP2+) and the board of another guitarist sitting in (powered with a One Spot) seemed to crap out at the same time. Over the course of maybe 30- 60 seconds, my signal just started to drop and finally went down to nothing. Luckily, my amp has a master volume, reverb and tremolo, so I just plugged straight in and finished the gig.

So trying to figure this out. My guess is a power issue as in sagging voltage, only thing I don’t understand is why everything else, including the entire PA, amps, etc, seemed fine (and everything has to be powered off of one outlet at this venue).

Any thoughts?

2. 8len8

8len8 Member

Amps and PAs can handle volts of AC voltage drop, while pedals and pedal power supplies can only deal with 100’s of MV drop often.

Not Orange and chankgeez like this.
  3. LikeAMotherF

LikeAMotherF Supporting Member

I don't know much about electrical stuff, but I have a strong suspicion that this is your culprit.

In the past I've set up my board so that the current draw was more than the supply could...uh....supply? Handle? And it died much like you've described- it wasn't an immediate thing, everything just kind of dimmed and the volume dank over the course of a few seconds.

4. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

That makes sense, although my board only has 6 pedals including a tuner, and only 1 (Diamond Delay) has anything digital. I overall, current draw is really low.

5. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

This fits, thanks. Betting that’s what happened. Will be interesting to see if my board is working and happy today.

Ah stage gremlins...

8len8 likes this.
  6. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Member

Yeah, you need to be able to play your set plugged straight in if necessary. You will be tested sooner or later.

cosmic_ape and monty like this.
  7. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Man, that’s the truth. The list of stuff we’ve had happen in the last year is pretty nuts. Gotta be ready for just about anything.

AceBSpankin and Not Orange like this.
  8. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Maybe time to keep a pure sine wave inverter battery supply something like this around?

Pure sine wave may not be required for everything but it is for somethings so I went PSW. I have something similar I picked up for loss of power emergencies but quickly figured out it made a pretty good portable gig rig power support system. Mine powers my Soundcraft EFX8 mixer, my pedal boards (either one) and my QSC CP8 at gig volume for at least 5 hours. I did a gig last week with dodgy power, another one of those one outlet deals, and I think one of my pedals, sadly my trusty blue strobostomp, got damaged in a shutdown startup rain event surge. I think going forward for any of those in the park outdoor deals, I'll bring my battery inverter supply for my board.

It is compact and weighs about 7 lbs so not a big load adder.

hunter

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Isn’t the real question then, does it work now?

Also, best guess it is all powered off one outlet, but through extension power outlets. Were you and the other guitarist plugged into the same extension? Some of them have circuit breakers built in, or could be faulty. I guess if this was the case you would have thought about plugging into another power strip?

Abram4235 and sanfi4u like this.
  10. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

Most power inverters output a stepped staircase AC sine wave, ...

8len8 likes this.
  11. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Haven’t had time to test it yet, but will tonight.

Well, yes and no. We have a very heavy gauge extension with multiple sequential outlets that everything gets plugged into, but my board was plugged into a surge protector power strip.

12. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

That’s one of the reasons I bought my Prosonic. I still like using my OD pedals, but if my board craps out then I have the gain channel to fall back on and ride the guitar volume knob. :aok

Oinkus and monty like this.
  13. britishampsrock

britishampsrock Member

My first thought is maybe you were plugged into a power strip intended for lighting use and it was connected to a lighting dimmer. I’m never surprised anymore when I see lighting and audio being powered from the same source, a lot of audio engineers are just trying to make it through their workday without murdering the opening band and can’t be bothered by all of that.

14. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

I did a gig in Seattle, some big corp event, so pro lights and sound. Doing sound check, they turn on the lights - my rack stuff rebooted. So did the keyboard players modules. And it kept happening. All was fine up til then. They quickly figured out the lights were on the same circuit as the stage. Flying gig, so all I had with me was a small rack, no backup stuff.

15. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

Yeah, sharing power does either that or it introduces noise. I have a 30ft. long extension cord to avoid these scenarios. I want my own outlet, whenever possible.

16. Aaron Mayo

Aaron Mayo Member

Beer cooler on same circuit as band has happened to me. You get a mini brownout when the compressor kicks on.

17. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Appreciate all the insights. I carry a collection of heavy duty Yellow Jacket extension cords, but they’re still only as good as the outlets they’re plugged into. Some of these venues...

18. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Also, thinking “heavy duty” can blind you to that they too can go bad. It still all comes down to wires, solidly connected, springy contact points, etc. it may look beefy and have extra thick cable, whatever but anything can go bad.
    Also, as you say, old outlets you plug into, if they aren’t working properly can make a bad connection, intermittent drop out, etc.

if the venue is not up to code (and frankly ONE outlet supplied for a band kind of leans toward an owner who is doing things on the cheap) it could be that any number of things also connected to that bus (circuit) could be cycling on and off, dropping voltage to where the pedal supplies reset, etc. but amps handle it.

But the main answer will be when you get around to checking I at home. If I were you I’d make sure I used the same extension cables, plug in exactly the same as you did at the gig, to check the whole power section you used when it failed. Maybe even if it is now ok, plug in a few extra things that use power to see if you can recreate.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019