gig with the Germino

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by riffmeister, Nov 19, 2005.

1. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Classic 45 2x12 combo.

Fairly small club but with reasonably absorbent surroundings.

Amp was in its sweet spot.....~2 oclock on the bright channel.....and in order to tame the decibel level, I played the combo faced backwards :eek: with a blanket covering the speakers facing the rear. It sounded absolutely GREAT!! :eek:

With hollow body humbucker guitar (Hamer Newport) and the C45, I had the 'big fat ballsy' sound, and with Strat and '65 Bassman, the other guitar player had the 'jangly snarly' sound....super duper combination for our Classic Rock inspired originals!!

2. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

Are you saying you put a blanket over the back of the amp which was facing the audience or over the front of the amp which was pointing towards behind the band (and let the sound come out the back of the open back combo cab)?

3. m1911

m1911 Member

Nice Riff....any Pics?
    On a similar note....I was at FatSound last week and Mike ran a Club 40 thru it's paces. Very nice!....we played with the volume dial and it sounded pretty good at 10 to 11 O'clock also....(as well as 2 O'clocK of course!).
    This was the orange rig on the web-site.....and it had a pair of Celestion Heritage Greenbacks....Are you using the same ones? I thought this amp was NOT overbearing at any volume really, and I assume the Classic 45 is similar.
    On another forum (maybe here?)....I read about someone who knew a horn player that played on the Beano Session and said Clapton's volume was "Ear-Splitting". (maybe maxed out?)
    I LOVE loud/good guitar tone though. I leave many places where my only comment is..."I wish the guitar was louder".....And I'm guessing I'd feel that way watching you guys:dude
    Mark

4. riffmeister

The latter......essentially, sound was only coming out of the back of the combo cab which was facing toward the audience. I had the treble and presence set a little higher than normal.....the sound was totally awesome........big, fat, ballsy, but no laser cannon to decapitate the audience out front. Oh, and the amp was turned on it's side, too.....effectively a vertical mount 2x12.

This amp has two Greenbacks wired for a 16 Ohm load. And I swapped out the KT66's for EL34's.

5. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

m1911...

I believe the Club 40 and Classic 45 are fairly close volume-wise. Both are fairly loud amps...not 50 watt solid state rectified Marshall loud...but still plenty loud. The Classic 45 has more clean headroom though.

The reason the Club 40 didn't sound "overbearing" is due to the inefficient Celestion Heritage 20 watt speakers that are in the cab you played through. I have a Germino 4x12 loaded with those speakers and that cab tames an amps volume considerably. In contrast, I also have a Germino 2x12 that is loaded with RI Greenbacks and that cab is noticeably louder than my 4x12 with the 20 watt Heritage speakers.

6. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Sounds like a cool way to tame the "beast" If you are free sometime I would love for you to take the Budda Superdrive 45 for a spin, I would like to hear how it sounds with your airbrake.

7. markp

markp Member

I have been using beam blockers on speakers for about a month and they are working so good that I can point the cab directly at the bass player (or audience) and give them 50 watts pegged.

Sitting in a chair 5 feet from the cab staight on is something I would never do,even A 5 watt amp.Now I love it.

I play Flexi and still use hote plate on 4 db setting most of the time ,but when I turn the hot plate off I am getting compliments on my tone and nobody is getting hurt.

8. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Hey there, yep I used to have to do that all the time with my Superlead and 4x12... I rarely do it these days as I use 2x12's most always, but still probably should!!! I only have 1 friend I've seen do that in the past 10 years, but it's a trick we ALL used to do.. Doesn't look quite that great, but ya know I was thinking... We should go get custom quilts done , or at least custom fabric.. Damn , paisley , bizarre messages, band name's etc.. Not as good looking as a nice cabinet in perfect symmetry on a stage, but could be used to our advantage.. hmmm?? I'm playing 1 of the smallest places ever tonite , and it's a 1st time there, so I'm hoping volume is not an issue! ! ERIC

9. riffmeister

I'll have to get the Airbrake back from my bandmate. Hmmm.....come to think of it, *everything* in his rig belongs to me! (2x12 cab, '65 Bassman, Airbrake)

10. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

For the first two clicks, the air brake will probably sound awesome. +

11. riffmeister

DOES

:D

12. The Rocket

The Rocket Member

I do the same thing at gigs with my C45 2x12 combo and it works great! I don't use the blanket though. My C45 has the stock Greenback reissues, KT66's and I play a strat. The sound engineers never complain about the volume and I always get compliments for my sound after the gig. :dude

13. riffmeister

The back of my amp was close to the kitchen at this place, and while I'm sure they would love my guitar playing...... ;)

14. m1911

m1911 Member

Are they the new Heritage Greenbacks?...and or have you tried them?
    Mark

15. riffmeister

my amp has regular Greenbacks.