Giggable combo amp ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sampleinajar, Jan 17, 2008.

1. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

Hi all,

The Germino lead55 half-stack is too loud for rehearsals and small clubs, so I've been doing a lot of reading here and elsewhere about combo amps suitable for gigging. I was hoping to get some specific input that someone might have based on my requirements.

I need an amp that can cop old-style Marshall sounds (plexi). I like to play by working the guitar volume, so it needs to have that aspect of the old-Marshall vibe as well. I like JTM45-type cleans, that you can goose with a boost to get slight break-up tones. High-gain not necessary, I can use pedals for that. Need a good effects loop for delay/reverb. I don't use a lot of other effects, but I would like the amp to be pedal-friendly as a cover-band gig is not out of the question. Preferably 1x12 format, not too heavy, looking to spend no more than $1200, but could be flexible on that. Less $$ would certainly be cool.

Things I have been considering:

Traynor YCV40 or 50
    VHT Pitbull
    Rivera (Chubster??? not sure which one)
    Bogner Shiva
    Spider valve

Any thoughts/opinions you can share with me would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

2. beej

beej Supporting Member

I'd add the Badger combo to that list.

Same deal for me- I have a Guytron for bigger gigs and have the Badger for grab 'n go. Got the matching 1x12 cab rather than the combo as it's easier to carry (one thing in each hand).

But it's Marshally, light and very rich sounding.

3. PRNDL

PRNDL Member

For the ultimate, non-destructible gigging amp, I'd recommend the Jazz Tank, which is built from a Precision PA amp with a thick steel head and chassis.

[​IMG]

http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/JazzTank.html
    It has Teflon and paper-in-oil coupling caps for serious tone!
    :BEER

4. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard Supporting Member

Orange Rocker 30 fits the bill to T...if you could get by without the loop.

5. KCWM

KCWM Member

It's not a name that carries as much weight on this board as others, but my own experience with my unmodded Carvin Vintage 33 and what I've read about experiences other Carvin owners have had with their modded amps would lead me to possibly suggest a Carvin.

They can be had for a relatively low price compared to other amps, and the hasserl mods are supposed to really open the amp up. I've heard the modded asmps described as having a Fender type clean and a Marshall Plexi type drive channel. I'll hopefully have the mods done here in the next couple of months so that I can give a first hand account of how the amp sounds after the mods are done.

The Carvins (Vintage 33, Nomad, Belair) aren't PtP, and the tubes in my Vintage 33 are apparently PCB mounted, but in my research before I traded into my V33, I read about a very small amount of reliability issues. That, to me, is a big consideration when looking into tube amps.

Again, the Carvins don't carry the same prestige as many tube amps on this forum, but it's something to look into, especially if you are adept with a soldering iron yourself. That would leave you more money for an extension cab, some nice speakers, or a few more pedals to help shape your sound rather than blowing it all on an amp with a more prestigious brand name.

6. Andre357

Andre357 Member

You should check out a Budda SDII 18 watter..........it gets the sounds you describe easily, it's light and easy to transport.......more than loud enough for rehearsal and gigs...and has a KILLER effect loop ( best I've found )...

Something tells me it could be your dream amp from the description of what your looking for....

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Traynor YCS-50. Note that's YCS, not YCV, although the V is decent too.

8. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

How much do the YCS-50's go for, and do you own one?

Thanks man-

Steve

9. Free

Free Member

Hi, Steve. I'm confused - if you like OD pedal tone and are using pedals for overdrive, why is it too loud to use? That amp is as pedal friendly as it comes IMO. Can't you run it around vol 2 or so? Put something like a ZVex "Box of Rock" in front of it and it's a done deal. Plus you'll have your JTM45-like cleans right there. I can understand if you depend on the amp for overdrive, but since you don't seem to be...

And, why not an attenuator?

-Mike

10. bosstone

bosstone Member

Fargen Mini Plex II

11. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Around $699 at the stores, and yes I do. Great master volume. The sound is very consistent at all volumes.

12. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

Sorry, I wasn't clear...I would use pedal for high gain stuff...I use the germino full-tilt with an attenuator now...you have to crank back so far on the attenuator, and then deal with the beaminess of the 4x12 that it makes not practical.

13. shadowbox

shadowbox Supporting Member

I was going to suggest a Badger, too, but, as I've never picked up a Badger combo I don't know how they stack up weight-wise. I'm saving for a Badger now and am getting the head; I currently have a Mesa 4x10 combo (bought used) and the weight is ridiculous. My band mates run away when it's the piece of gear that needs to be carried into the venue.

14. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

My Carvin is great. The Vintage 33 can`t be beat. I did put in new tubes(JJ) and a smaller wattage speaker(this older model came stock with a 100 watt, newer one have a Vintage 30 I think).

15. Free

Free Member

I see, Steve. Well I definitely understand the virtue of opening up an amp and just using an OD on occasion for higher gain stuff. But, what about just running a pedal like a "Box of Rock" as your light OD base (responds extremely well to guitar volume dynamics). Then you could stack another OD pedal into the "BOR" for high gain stuff.

Or, you could simply have 1) clean with your amp alone on 2 or so, 2) mild overdrive (again, that responds very well to dynamics) with a "Box of Rock"-type pedal and 3) high-gain with a pedal like the "Box of Metal" (with the "BOR" off).

Plus - just go into a 2x12 open-back and the beamyness is gone with less db's...

What do you think? I'm not a big OD pedal type user, in fact I usually don't use any, but I'm impressed with some of the new boutique drives out there these days, and a lot of amp-like tone can be had with them.

16. LVC

LVC Senior Member

17. rocketman223

rocketman223 Member

DON'T sell that amp. I would put a set of 6V6's in it. I did it to a JTM MKII and it kills. I realize yours isn't a master volume, but I would still try it.

18. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

These are good suggesstions to try, and certainly cheaper than buying a new amp. You know hoew it goes though, the sound of cooking the tubes is always different the running it cool and using pedals. I am not sure if it will satisfy me that way, but it is worth a try. One other motivator is to have an effects loop to simplify my rig, and I wouldn't think of adding one to the Germino. To answer another poster's concern that I might sell the amp - NO WAY! That amp is a keeper - One of the first 50 lead55's that Greg built.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions everyone!!

Steve

19. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

My lead55 has 485V on the plates, and I am not sure I trust the 6v6s in there. I know some claim they can take it, but that is really, really pushing things. Now I could variac down 10%....hmmm, that's a thought.

Steve

20. gregory70

gregory70 Supporting Member