1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

gigged a EVM12 last night, schmookin!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by HHB, Jul 15, 2006.

1. HHB

HHB Member

tried a Tubeworks 112 cab w/ EVM last night, wow! I used my old MKI boogie head and normal pedalboard ( strobo- 808- Direct drive, crybaby, analog delay ) w/ my '57 partocaster copy, man what a tone! I usually use a Bogner 410 w/ Kendrick blk frames, and it sounds great, but the EVM just had something else going on, very SRV and I dont try and cop that tone. the bass grind is amazing, just chugs along like that great SRV/Jimi lead/rhythmn thang. I had the back port off and it filled the stage and club despite having to put it on the floor in a corner. I run my amp cleanish w/ a strat so I need to try it in Carlos mode w/ my P-90's and humbuckers but the clean strat thing is enough to sell me on it

2. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

I have routinely gigged a Mark I reissue for the last eight years doing blues and southern/classic rock. My Mark I is in a head shell, and I run a 1x12 Thiele with an EVM, and a 1x12 1/2 back with an MC-90. The EVM F'n rocks. I also have 3 more of them: Two in the bottom of a Boogie 4x12, and one more in the original 1x12 combo shell. I think the EVM's sound even better when you can pair them with an MC-90. This is what I like best.

FWIW, I usually play my '68 Strat or a '52 reissue, and I have no probs copping all the Clapton/Jimi/SRV/ZZ Top/Skynyrd that I need.

Stormin!

P.S. I just changed my Mark I out from 6L6's to EL34's, and now I get even more of the above tone.

3. HHB

HHB Member

Stormin, that sounds cool, I have a reissue head as well, but it and my Bogner cab were w/ my cover bands trailer, this was an original band gig and the guy w/ the trailer got sick out of town and I was forced to scrounge a cab, I'm headed off to pay for it now, this things stays w/ me LOL. I'm gonna try the EVM and the Bogner at once tonight, it's the cover band so look out Crazy train et al

4. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

HHB,

FWIW, I've always felt (others have agreed) that the Mark series amps sound best when using Mesa's cabs. I bought the 1/2 back for like $75 ten or 15 years ago, and shopped around a long time for the Thiele. Scored it for like $150 about 5 years ago. The really cool thing about the Thiele is that it since it's a slot ported closed back, it gives you that kinda 4x12 thump and bottom, which blends really nice with an open back. The coolest part of this rig is that it fits in the hatchback of my GTI without having to put the seat down (how cool is that)! I can take my whole rig and 3 passengers, and even though it's small, I can fill really large rooms.

Even though I'm always gassing for other amps, I truly love my Boogie rig. Over the years: I've had: a Bad Cat Black Cat, a '67 Super Reverb, a '68 Deluxe Reverb, a '63 Vibroverb, a Mark III, and a Mark IV. The Mark I keeps winning every time I A/B it. It will be the amp I take to my grave - only one I really NEED.

Stormin!

5. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

In the right cab w/ the right amp, that's an amazing speaker!

6. Steve2112

Steve2112 Member

So when the soundman puts a mic up, which one get's it?

7. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

I actually just bought a Mesa Thiele cab from a local guy who ended his eBay auction early for me! $275 for a thiele cab in excellent condition with an EVM-12L in it. I played my Randall MTS RM50 with two dual channel (can only use the first channel until my Egnater M4 is done!) Egnater preamps and it sounded HUUUUUUUUUUUGE! I never realized a 1x12 could sound SO loud! WOW! Great speaker and a sweet cab, should go well with my EarCandy speaker cabs when they are completed! ;)

8. Radax

Radax Member

The EVM-12L was an option in my Mark III and I found a matching 1x12 cab with another EVM-12L. Never had such a huge sound but only got to hear it once and the neighbors came pounding on the front door. Way too much for my little basement shop.

Luv'em but Left'em,
    Mike

9. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Those old EVs are my favorite guitar speaker, period. The richest, sweetest midrange I've ever heard out of anything, and a beautiful rounded off top end. Perfect for keeping strats and teles pretty and musical sounding, while accentuating the best parts about them.

10. Doug Allen

Doug Allen Member

I dig Electro-Voice speakers, I have several: an EVM-12L (w/ recent factory recone), a pair of EVM-12S, a pair of EVM-10M, an EV Force 10, a vintage 8" model.

I've seen the EV spec sheets with hz curves, but, what is the difference in sound/tone among: EV-SRO model, EVM-12L, EVM-12L Series II, EVM-12L Classic (the new model) ?

11. lastwinj

lastwinj Member

+1 on the 12s. i have a pair also, in a 4x12 with a pair of 12L. yummy

germ

12. hans-jürgen

hans-jürgen Member

Right, I had the same experience on our last gig filling a small club (~60 people) with my Mark IIB head and self-built 1x12" EVM-12L Thiele cab on the floor in a corner (lead master around 2 or 3). Here's a clip from a mono video track someone made, the guitar is a Tokai LS120 with Super Distortion clone bridge pickup (at the beginning of the clip) and a Gibson P-94 neck pickup (the rest of "Arrested for driving while blind" after the chromatic change from G to D).

Now I have the P-94 bridge pickup installed again as a result of the comparison I did some months ago on the Tokai forum, also with that gear, but at bedroom level at home. And I really like the "Carlos sound" I can get with the neck or middle position.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  13. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I too love EVMs and especially in Thiele cabs! I have three 1-12" Thiele cabs, two MEsa and on Colorado Music Guy, which is identical to the Mesa's dimensions. Additionally I have a Bag End 412 with 4 EFM12L's in it, can you say back breaker!!! I have two EVM15L's sitting in boxes waiting for the right cabs to put them it.

TheGrooveking

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

Great speaker in the right application, I used to have one in a Boogie Widebody 1x12 cab, I actually may have a need for another one soon.

Where can I find info on the Tubeworks 112?

15. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    What type of info are you looking for on the Tube Works 112? I have some old brochures I could scan. Otherwise I think they evolved into GenzBenz.

TheGrooveking