Gigged my Fargen Miniplex last night

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Powderfinger, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

This is a MKII that the previous owner had modified to increase wattage, and to remove power scaling (!) and replace it with a cathode/fixed bias switch.

Played in a smallish bar with a 1x12 Avatar cab with scumback. Bottom line--sounded awesome. Very, very happy with the amp. Very versatile. Great cleans. Takes pedals well. My bandmates all told me that it was the best I've ever sounded. Very happy with this little bugger. Only thing I could wish for is a footswitch to switch between decade modes.

2. porterburst

porterburst Supporting Member

How many watts did he bump up to, and why did he reomve the scaling?

3. Powderfinger

30-ish watts. Can't remember exact number. He removed the scaling because the master volume is so good he didn't think it was necessary.

4. Uncle Pat

Uncle Pat Member

If mine had had more power, I'd still own it.
    20-30 watts would be ideal!

5. Powderfinger

He does offer a "mighty plex" mod that increases wattage to around 30.

6. Uncle Pat

Uncle Pat Member

:jo
    I knew he'd upgrade to Mk II specs, but I wasn't aware he could do a mini-to-mighty change.
    Oh well.

7. rickwil61

rickwil61 Member

The standard MKII can take a variety of different output tubes without rebiasing. Does this still hold true after the upgrade?

8. porterburst

This is something I would like to know as well.

9. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

how is the olde 800?

10. rickwil61

rickwil61 Member

FYI I emailed Ben not too long after posting my question here and I've already gotten a reply. I asked if they still offer the 30W upgrade and also had some questions about the combo. I asked about pricing too but deleted that out of respect for Ben. I think he wants people to email him directly for that info. Here's his reply.

Hi Rick,

Yes we can add the 30 watt upgrade to any MPMKII......

Yes you can still swap and use all the power tubes listed....but they must remain matching pairs(2 x EL34 or 2 x KT66) with the 30 watt design...no mixing...(IE 1 KT66 + 1 EL34 ect)

The combo comes stock with a G12H30 but we have many other speaker choices if you have something you like better in mind.

The combo weighs in at 45 lbs and the dims are 21 1/2"W X 20 1/8"H X 10D

Thanks,
    Benjamin

11. porterburst

With the 30 watt option, do you still get the switch on the back that cuts the power half or near half?

12. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Not sure, but that's a good question. I've got his first Mini-Plexi combo and it's got a Weber BlueDog in it that sounds great. Anway, the half power deal is just a switch that takes one of the power tubes out of the equation. On my amps, it's 12 watts versus 8. Not sure what the new Mk II would be, or what the 30 watt version would be either.

13. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

It rocks. It is a great amp with fabulous tone, and 50 loud watts. I had one until recently...only traded it because it was too loud for my home..

It is Ben's modern version of a JCM 800 amp...can be thick creamy and harmonic.

14. rickwil61

rickwil61 Member

I emailed Ben and asked him about that and he said the half power switch turns off one of the power tubes. It doesn't work for 30W because both tubes have to be on all the time. I think that is because it operates as a push pull power stage at 30W rather than class A. However the power scaling works the same. He said the 30W has the same tone but just louder. It also gives you more headroom.