giggers w/o racks. Boss tu or polytune?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TimSt.L, Feb 28, 2012.

1. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

I've been a multi fx guy for over 15 years. I just went to a stomp box setup and I love it. I have a livewire tuner on loan from a friend that is doing it's job. But I gotta invest in a new tuner soon. The stomp box standard seems to be the Boss. Now since the polytune is out, and seems to be pretty reliable, who has switched to the poly and why?
    Any issues?
    anyone NOT like the polytune for any reason?

2. stratguy23

stratguy23 Member

Turbo Tuner... more accurate, faster, true bypass, beats the Boss in pretty much every way. The Polytune is cool, but it is not as fast or accurate as the Turbo Tuner.

3. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

turbo tuner. changed my life. I have two now.

Incredibly accurate, and unbelievably fast.

buy one.

4. jordiesaenz

jordiesaenz Member

Polytune. It's sturdy, true bypass, and displays well. The mini is coming out soon, and it looks freaking cool.

5. RyanFromQA

RyanFromQA Member

:facepalm I predict 97% Turbo Tuner responses, 3% Poltyune, and a negligible amount of "other."

It's like coming on here and asking "What pedal for a clean boost/OD that retains my guitar's character?"

6. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

Well, is the Turbo in the same price range? Because that is a factor.

7. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

Like I stated, I've been using multi fx for a very long time. So Im not all that familiar with what everyone on tgp uses to tune they're guitars.:facepalm

8. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

The Turbo is a little more money - but you'll be glad you paid it. I have a new TU-3, and the Turbo Tuner is light years ahead of it. Its way faster, way more accurate, and only costs a bit more. Just buy one.

9. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

It sounds like I'm in the minority on this, but I've owned and used a BOSS TU-2 for as long as I have played an electric guitar (almost 20 years). Used it on probably hundreds of electric and acoustic gigs of all sizes.
    It has never broken, stopped working, given me an inaccurate reading, or really given me any trouble at all. It can even power some other pedals in a pinch via its auxiliary power tap. In the sun it can be harder to read, but its never been a deal breaker for me. I never go anywhere without one. You can find one used for around $50.

Just my 2 cents.

10. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

That's right - the Boss tuner works, and is less expensive, but is inferior to the TT in speed and accuracy. That matters to some people. Heck - a tuning fork would work if you didn't care about speed or accuracy.

11. mr.mattphisto

mr.mattphisto Member

Find one that work for you. Here is my personal experience.

The Turbo Tuner is great but the accuracy was too good (1st world problem). I became really OCD about it on stage. I know you can adjust it, but out of the box it took some time getting used to, and the minor turns drove me a little crazy at times.

PolyTune is faster for me because I step, strum, if all green then go. Otherwise I can go right to the string or strings that is out and done. It worked right out of the box. This is just a personal preference.

If I was doing setups/intonations at home, then Turbo Tuner is a must...(or some other SUPER accurate tuner)

But for me,the way I used the Polytune, it was faster and good enough for me on stage.

rant time..

I do want to say I have yet to encounter a problem with different tuners on stage and the accuracy being different for each one. All the gigs I done (church gigs, small bars/clubs) I have yet to see the same tuner on everyone's board (long gone are the days of TU-2's everywhere). "Sometimes" the tuner accuracy issue gets bloated IMHO.

The boss TU-2 and TU-3 are great as well. Try them out and find one that works for you.

The end of the day, the tuner is tool and is only as good as the person using it. One man's rack mounted Peterson Strobe Tuner is another man's Snark tuner.

/rant

12. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

I used to work at a St.Louis club called Mississippi nights. Almost all of the guitar players that had a pedal board would have a Boss tuner on it. If they didn't, they would have a rack tuner. They are extremely common around here and I always hear what you stated...
    Very reliable and accurate.

13. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

Jeez - you try to help someone....... and it makes you wonder why they even ask.

Just buy any tuner - you probably won't know the difference.

14. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

Ive used the Boss and never had issues. I really like the idea behind what the polytuner can do. And now, hearing about turbo, i will have to at least go give it a try.

15. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

Seriously. I guess some contrarian-types just want to hate the Turbo Tuner because it's the best.

I used a Boss rack TU-50 for a while, and it just can't stand up to the Turbo.

16. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

Boss is fine, prefer my korg pitch black by small margin.
    I'm sure the turbo is great, but i haven't found the korg lacking.

17. mesa/boogieman

mesa/boogieman Senior Member

I've used this pedal for over a decade and it's been fantastic.

18. dulcetpine

dulcetpine Member

i have a guyatone mt-3... not crazy about it. but it gets me close and I have other pedal needs.

the turbo tune looks really nice, maybe one day i'll get one, though i am leaning towards a boss tu-3 because i need a buffer in that part of my chain because all my pedals are true bypass.

19. mysticaxe

mysticaxe Member

I've had the TU2 forever and it is a great pedal. Eventually, I bought a Turbo Tuner for home use (figured I could monkey around with intonation). Well, I ended up switching the tuners - Turbo on my band board, TU2 at home. TT is a little more accurate and I like the true bypass vs. the TU2 buffer. The TU3 seems like its the next evolution of the TU2... The mini Polytune is intriguing from a space efficiency perspective.

I guess my answer is that there are several/many good choices now. Gone are the days of the TU2, and then everything else is inferior... I think the Turbo Tuner was about $120-$130. For $20-$30 you get a tuner that is accurate enough to intonate off of. Save the money, and you'll be good enough for rock n roll (which isn't bad either).

20. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

So the Turbo is accurate enough to use for intonation? Sorry I have not looked into it yet. But if that's the case. Im definitely on board.