Giggin with a Cub II ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by thintele, Feb 25, 2006.

1. thintele

thintele Member

I'm hoping to get some feedback from any TGPers who are/were gigging with a Bad Cat Cub II
    I'm currently gigging with VHT Pitbull 45 2x12 combo and its a great sounding amp, however the clean channels rarely gets to 10:00 and the gain channel gets maybe to 9:00 with the gain at 1-2:00 ...I feel like its not even getting a good leg stretch and definately not hitting its sweet spot. So consequently I have been watching threads on low wattage amps and the Cub seems to get pretty good reviews. There are no dealers in my my area , so I'm kinda flying blind. With that said..
    I play americana, country, classic rock type stuff so I need "a little" clean ...not pristine...just a little hair... and I'm wondering if this amp will have the headroom going up againt a SVT stack, loud drummer and keyboard player.
    Secondly the website shows it being 90lbs in the carton...which sounds pretty heavy for a 15 watt amp...what is the actual weight of the amp?
    :jo
    sorry one more thing ...what speaker format seems to work best in this map 2x10 or 1x12

thanks, Greg

2. thintele

thintele Member

3. Kidcactus

Kidcactus Supporting Member

It weighs 50 lbs (1X12), has a very strong speaker, but I can't tell you how it will fare in your band situation as I used mine in a very low volume praise band setting and it was miked.

4. DrJamie

DrJamie Silver Supporting Member

I've played lots of gigs with a CubR, and finally sold it, only because I've got a 40 watt Matchless Chieftain head, that is more versitle power wise. I don't think 15 watts will cut it for you. I play roots rock, in small venues (that's a nice word for dives), and 15-20 watts can often work fine, but that's playing at a pretty tame volume. We've had loud rehearsals where the Cub ran out of gas power wise. If you score one at a fair price, you'll be able to sell if it doesn't cut it. I think you might be happier with more power, from the Bad Cat/Matchless sound.

5. Bradders

Bradders Member

Hey,

I have a Cub II and kind of concur with the post that says you "may" run out of gas live....what I mean is after about 4-5 on the vol knob(s) it doesn't get that much louder - just more saturated........saturated doesn't cut thorugh in a live scenario - you need more power to do that, IMHO.

That said - I LOVE the Cub II and would strongly urge you to try one out as you may miss out on somethign great that WOULD suit your needs live - only you can tell that one based on your band's live volume/venue size etc......bu tyou should try one - they're top-drawer amps wit a fantastiuc sound - and a mighty powerful 15 W - very conservative ratring if you ask me?

I use my Cub to rehearse and record.....live it's a Clubman :rolleyes: or son to be a Bad Cat Black or Hot Cat - that should speak volumes ( pardon the pun!)

Either way check one out - -they're great amp!s
    Bradders

6. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

You may want to check out a Cub IIR 30w for some more power.

7. Bradders

Bradders Member

Now there's a good idea - btw, maybe even save some $$s and leave out the "R" - these amps haver a life of their own - no ned for reverb if you ask me :)

8. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

agreed. i had the cub II head and never once thought i needed the R

9. Bradders

Bradders Member

The "swirl" in that puppy is amazing......all that out of my 1*12 combo. Man, I did that amp. ANyone know if the 30W version is as good?

Funny, I tried the Cub II plugged into a variety of cabs abd speaker mixes and NOTHIGN NOTHIGN NOTHING sounded as good as the cab and its own 1*12 -guess that's why they built it that way HUH :NUTS

10. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

yeah, I find myself rarely using the reverb on the Hot Cat. it sounds so greart as is...when I need to sound like I'm in deep space I just through on my Danelectro Reel Echo! :dude :dude

11. thintele

thintele Member

Thanks to all for you input. You've pretty much verified what I was thinking, and I think maybe I'll look for something in the 30 watt range. I wasn't aware they did the Cub in a 30 ...maybe I'll check that out

12. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

the 30 watt cub is a custom shop. Its something that they have done a number of times from what i can tell. seems that most i have seen have been the cub 30rt with reverb and trem. i still think a cub 30 non-reverb non trem with 1/2 power switch would be amazing,

13. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

Well sorry the intrusion...sticking my Matchless Lightning butt in here(they're sorta similar) but I gig alot with the Lightning, some pretty good size halls & it's plenty. We have good sound systems though. That said I've been wanting for more headroom lately & the 30 watt Cub sounds like a plan. Good luck.

14. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Isn't the Cub II the first channel of the Bad Cat Black Cat, but with just two EL84's instead of four EL84's in the power section? If you really think you need 30 watts, then get the Bad Cat Black Cat and you've got the AC30 pre-amp section (12AX7's--triode) in channel ONE and the AC15 pre-amp section (EF86--pentode) in channel TWO, and you've got 30 extremely loud watts of Class A power.

f.w.i.w. . .I hope you've got a good back. I've got a DC30, which is essentially, the forerunner of the Black Cat, and it weighs a ton and is definitely no fun to lug around.

Good luck!

15. thintele

thintele Member

the Pitbull I've been lugging I believe is around 70lbs ...is the Black Cat heavier that that?? uuuuh
    I guess I could go head and cab ...