Gigging amp at around 16kg (35lb)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LuboMc, Feb 27, 2012.

1. LuboMc

LuboMc Member

New to the forum and had a look for similar threads but nothing seen (although I'm sure I'm not the only person with this problem).

First of all, I have the ZT Lunchbox which my band find hilarious and call it the toaster. The other night it let me down as the sound became really distorted. Annoying thing was, next morning it was fine but I feel as though I can't rely on it. In any case, the guys in the band prefer me to have something not the size of a toaster, however portable it is.

I need something reliable...a name...a Marshall, Fender etc. It also needs to be carryable as I go to our gigs on public transport. I was looking at the Line6 Spider, or one of the Marshall modelling amps, or the Fender G-Dec 30. The gigs we do are generally pubs where it's through the Line Out. For bigger venues we're usually mic'd up and I'm never up at 10 so quality of sound shouldn't be compromised.

i'm sure I'm not the only one in this situ. Any recommendations appreciated. Price range around $800 max

2. mesa/boogieman

mesa/boogieman Senior Member

The Marshall MG50 is right around 35 lbs and is a great sounding amp. The Fender Mustang II is 40 watts and weighs less than 30 lbs.

I just did an Orange Tiny Terror head and 1x12 cab. About 30 lbs for the cab and 12 lbs for the head. Real easy peasy to carry head in one hand and cab in the other and have guitar on my shoulders.

I totally get having a lightweight amp. With arthritis, tendonitis and a bunch of other "itis'" I can't lug around something heavy :)

3. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

gigging, to me, means volume capable.

nothing less than 30 watts, for any clean headroom.

Mesa Transatlantic 30 would be a good lightweight choice, in the head,.

then match a really light cabinet (1x12 semi-open back) and a nice ceramic magnet speaker that is also light weight.

4. jrmgtrplyr

jrmgtrplyr Member

Fender Deluxe Reverb - if you get an old one or a clone with solid pine it is actually a little lighter than the plywood cab ones, but still very light and portable and sounds killer.

5. kelvinator60

kelvinator60 Member

6. Gnarlly

Gnarlly Member

Pine cabs do help. Also, try a neo speaker to shave off a few pounds. My DRRI with Jensen Neo 12-100 weighs about 35 pounds.

7. beexter

beexter Member

Roland Cube 60 or Tech21 TM60 based on personal experience. If you go for tube amps, I'd agree you'd need at least 30w for clean headroom at gig volume, at which point they're starting to go beyond your weight limit.

8. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Fender Mustang III 112 is really good sounding basic modeling amp and easy to use, gets loud enough if not on insanely loud stage and lightweight

9. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

Check out a Fender Super Champ XD

10. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

Kustom Defender V30 - 12" combo, 2 EL34's or 2 6L6's, 50 watts, 36 lbs.

11. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer

Just because it's a Marshall or Fender doesn't mean it's going to be reliable, especially the lower priced models. Have rented plenty of Fender Hot Rods and Twin RIs that weren't working properly.