• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Gigging cable bag? suggestions

Captngeetch

Silver Supporting Member
I used a bag I got from Marlboro when they had their first Adventure Miles promotion. It was offered up as a tackle bag, but I removed the plastic organizers. It’s the size of a small duffle bag with a large pocket on one end and two tall ones on the other side the perfect size for microphones. It also has a pair of velcro secured pockets on each face that expand. The whole bag worked perfect as a gig bag. These days I use it when I travel. Works great for 3-5 days trips.

BBSuggs

The value of using a loose duffle bag of some type is how they squeeze into that leftover space after speakers, amps, and cases are in the vehicle. I split my cords into 2 duffle/tool bags, being careful not to over fill. I need the bags to stay flexible (and light).

Some have suggested a tub. I go the other way, and do not want a fixed, hard shell.

Whatever works, however. To each his own, adapting to unique methods of hauling gear - trucks, SUVs, cars, trailers, vans.

MikeMcK

Gold Supporting Member
I used to wrap cables one way. Then I saw a vid about the "proper" way to wrap cables...Over/Under. Since I started doing it the "proper" way, I have nothing but a rats nest every time I unwind it. Especially with a 30 footer. And I use the velcro straps.

I'm hankering to go back to the old way of doing it.
I don't get it, then... I'll just make sure the ends aren't under anything, grab one end and throw the rest. But make sure the ends are free first.

spence

Any bag, correct wrapping of cables every time, all the time, and cable wraptors. Don't fight velcro.

Stokely

Any bag, correct wrapping of cables every time, all the time, and cable wraptors. Don't fight velcro.

As someone who has been using velcro for years, this has my interest. Is that a particular brand, or a type of wrap (and if so, is there a good brand you'd recommend?)

Edit: there is an exact product called "cable wraptor" by Gardner Bender, they are red toothed things that close around the cable, is that the thing you have? If so, which size would be good for say a 20 ft mic cable?

sws1

I don't get it, then... I'll just make sure the ends aren't under anything, grab one end and throw the rest. But make sure the ends are free first.

I don't know either. Half the time I unwrap a long cable done with the over/under method, it gets tangled. Maybe my loops are too big. IDK

I did see a sign somewhere at one of the clubs in AP telling their guys to wrap their cables, with a big note, "NO OVER/UNDER". So maybe I'm not the only one with an issue.

rmconner80

Cantankerous Luddite
Gold Supporting Member
Milk crates: XLRs with color coded velcro ties (based on length) in one + AC cords, extension cords, and power strips in the other. I have a small sealed container for mics as well.

Personal guitar stuff (picks, capos, slides, cords, vocal mic) just goes in my bag which is the Mono “tick” and attaches to my single or double Mono gig bag.

charliechitlins

Silver Supporting Member
You gigging guys.. what r u using for to manage all your speaker, mic cables? Im so sick of our messed up system I need suggestions before I lose my mind.. thanks
Bowling ball bags from yard sales.
Nice big opening.
Last forever.
Mic cables attached end-to-end and wrapped on a hardware store extension cord spool.

Last edited:

Random1643

Good thread.

I use an old duffel bag for extension cords, instrument stands, big items. Bought for $2 @ a thrift store in the late-80s.

A heavy-duty, medium-sized, "weekender" travel bag for cables, pedals, Hum-X, etc. My oldest daughter gave it to me when she updated her travel stuff.

spence

As someone who has been using velcro for years, this has my interest. Is that a particular brand, or a type of wrap (and if so, is there a good brand you'd recommend?)

Edit: there is an exact product called "cable wraptor" by Gardner Bender, they are red toothed things that close around the cable, is that the thing you have? If so, which size would be good for say a 20 ft mic cable?

Yes, they are Gardner Bender. I got mine at Mennards. You can get by with a small one for your mic cable, depending on how tight you wrap your cable.

Last edited:

edward

Silver Supporting Member
I concur on the Tools "Bags" as they have compartments and wheels. The Home Depot "Husky" brand is a great bang-for-buck option.

That said, I divide my cargo into:
1) common-use gear such as instrument cables, DIs, capos, etc, and
2) PA related gear such as power, XLR, mics, long-run cables, etc.
The reason is simple: I don't need anything from bag 2 unless it's a gig, so bag 1 is smaller, lighter, and easier to handle for rehearsals etc.

For #1, I use this, the best gigbag ever:
Music Gear Bag: The Original PFX1 Musician's Carry-All by ACCESS (accessbagsandcases.com)

Mine happens to be a "Taylor" branded one, but is absolutely this exact bag. I've used this thing for coming on 2 decades, has seen lots of regular use, is tough as all get out, has backpack straps if you want. Bottom line: mine has scuffs but every zipper, strap, and handle is as solid as the day I first used it! This is the bag to get for routine gear use, IMO!

For #2, a luggage roller is hard to beat. I use a "business" type one since it is smaller than the typical tall carry-on type, and it has compartments which work really well for separating XLR from power cable, areas for mics, etc. Mine is a Samsonite, pop up handle of course, sturdy wheels, and is rugged and cheap. Discount stores (such as Ross or TJ Max here on the left coast) routinely have these cheaper than most everywhere else. Mine has been in use for maybe coming on 10 years.

Side note on cables: Not sure why some of you are having trouble with over/under. Sure, some power cables don't behave well here, with extension cords being the most finnicky. Much depends on the jacket and its stiffness. But my mic and instrument cables ALL behave perfectly when wrapped over/under and secured with a velcro tie. You sure you're doing it right??

Edward

Last edited:

ripgtr

I used to go to goodwill and buy those old hard sided suitcases. I still have one that must be close to 40 years old now, though I use it for home wire storage.

I have two gym type bags. One may actually be an airplane carry on, not sure where I got either. I have my guitar stuff in one and my PA stuff in another. That way, when I am not worrying about PA, I just take one bag. Soft sided so they slide in anywhere when packing.

ripgtr

Side note on cables: Not sure why some of you are having trouble with over/under
Yea, I've been doing it 40 years now since a sound guy showed it to me. WAY better than wrapping around my arm. If you leave the ends loose, maybe that is the issue. I have a bunch of those velcro wire ties that stay on the cord, guitar stores used to sell. I imagine they still do.

Stokely

Gotta like the suggestions that take you outside the box (or bag, no pun intended).

Like I mentioned, a soft pistol case works great for a mic and in-ears setup, I'm getting a second one for my submixer. Super padded and tough.

A round case like that for a tom does seem perfect for cables.

RCM78

I use two 14 gallon bins from HD. One for XLR's and one for Power. My XLR's are color coded for 30', 15', and 10'. They are stacked in the bin by color and wrapped correctly...

markmann

The OP didn't say if this was for personal gear or for a band. I only ever have to worry about my own personal gear so I use a backpack.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom