1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gigging: Combo on stage level or at head level?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sunstone Recordings, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Sunstone Recordings

Sunstone Recordings Member

Hey, at a show, is it better to have the combo on the floor at the audiences head level, or on top of the road case at your head level? If it's being miked, does it even matter?

2. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

EVERY SINGLE guitarist I know has a different way they like to do this. It's ALL personal preference. I will NEVER put my amps at my head level or pointing near my ears. That's my preference, but I know many guys who do .. I still know lots of guys who put amps on the side of stages facing in too (not at the audience) , and guys who'll face their cabinets backwards.. I'd do that (or use plexi shields or blankets) if I brought my 4x12's but I tend to use 2x12's instead. Have fuN! ERIC

3. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I put it on a stand that points it up at @ 30 degrees.

4. KLB

KLB Member

It all depends....

On a small stage in a corner where you can't get away from the amp, putting it on a chair will let you hear what the audience is hearing. You don't usually have a lack of bass in this situation.

In a larger room/stage, where you can get away from the amp (8 feet or more), the floor works fine. Sometimes I like to angle the amp up a bit.

I set my tone by walking out into the audience, then move back to the stage and put up with whatever it sounds like there.

5. Sunstone Recordings

Sunstone Recordings Member

cool, thanks! i just wanted to see what others did. I usually stick it on top of the roadcase, but I have a show tonight and I'm gonna try leaving it in the roadcase bottom... and they mic it anyway, so I get some guitar in the front monitors

6. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Seldom mic'd, always at stage level, and tilted back just a wee bit.

For small rooms, I put my drummer's cymbal case right in front of the speakers, to avoid beaming folks directly in front of the amp.

7. Benny

Benny Gold Supporting Member

For super reverbs and bassmen, I just leave them in the road case bottom. For Deluxe reverbs, 2X10 tweed supers, and other small combos, I put it on top of the road case. For some perspective, I'm 6'7", so if I'm really close to a small amp on the floor, it feels the same as standing far off to the side of an amp.

8. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey jammers,

I use an Ultimate amp stand angled around 30 degrees onstage or if I'm miked, I might put the amp off to the side of the stage on an amp stand or behind me on an amp stand and use it as a monitor. If I'm using my guitar rack and cabs, I have the cabs behind me or off to the side, miked up.

Guitar George

9. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

yup yup & yup! I've done it every which way.......depends on the room and the club owner's volume tolerance!

10. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

Interesting.. I have a friend of mine who likes the sound of his amps cranked. So he lays a leather coat over the speakers allowing just as volume to come through as he wants.
    I usually like mine a waist level or on the floor. On non- mic'ed gigs I sometimes set it high as possible. Then when I solo, I step aside and let my vocal mic pick up the lead. This is not an original idea of mine, I read it in a guitar publication of some sort years ago.
    I always mic the amp whenever possible just to lower the stage volume.
    Blowin' on my pant legs is much easier on my hearing.

11. mprvise

mprvise Member

+1 I used to set mine on chairs occasionally, but never do that anymore. It just kills the lows. I like hearing my tone from the amp, not from a monitor. Though sometimes this is impossible in a larger venue. The band I'm currently in just mics the vocals and a few drums 90% of the time, maybe a direct line for the bass occasionally. The guitars are mixed from the amps on stage. :AOK

12. bob-i

bob-i Member

I like my amp tilted back on the floor. You don't lose as much bass as the chair thing, but it prevents that beam to the audience.

I've tried muting the speakers with blankets and it just sounds dull and compressed. Beam blockers are good for dispersion and removing the brittle highs directly in front. I used to tape a small paper plate over the grill cloth in front of the JBL silver dome, now I use cloth dome speakers.

13. lanesmat

lanesmat Member

On the floor, angled back using a 2x10 Rivera combo. I run this setup miked or unmiked. If I run a 1x12 or 1x15 extention, I'll tend to leave it flat on the floor, pointed away from the audience. I usually don't worry much about bass response, since it muddies up the mix in the stuff I play. Bass players don't want me messing with their groove anyway:rolleyes:

Scott L.

14. radvra

radvra Guest

I have used all methods with my combo amps (AC-30, Bassman, Mesa Boogie). I dont like amp stands cause they seem bleed the lows and stab more highs. On top of the flight case is OK depending on the room put can hurt your ears (or others) if it is pointed from the backline. I prefer on the floor tilted up at an angle that aims at the back of your knees. This way you dont get hit with any directional high end coming out of the speakers, and you get some good blow-by tones without hurting your ears or the rest of the band, while picking up the low vibes from the floor. Also, I use a Red box and a 57 on the front for 2 separate signals that can be blending into front monitors, to lessen the stage volume and enhance tone.