Gigging guitarists: stand by or off

strike3

I'm sure I am over thinking this, but do most of you leave your amp on stand by between sets, or turn it off. I have been leaving it on stand by, but not sure if there is an advantage one way or the other
thanks

ksandvik

I think it depends on the circuit. With some amps I do standby just to get the voltage hot and then flip over with mute to really get the tubes warm. During the evening I then do standby mostly to save electricity (small things count.). At end I first go through standby to eliminate shocks to the system.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that tubes sound different when warm so you try to get to this point as soon as possible before the gig starts.

rusty

I own a guitar & I'm 3° from Kevin Bacon
Silver Supporting Member
i'm sure it doesn't matter much in the long run for tubes/components, but on long, 30 min breaks, i go ahead and shut her down...might as well leave it all on i guess, but still......

Phletch

My Mesa has a stand-by, so I use it. I always come back on stage a few minutes before the start of the next set to check tuning/retune, and I flip the amp off of stand-by at that time to get the juices flowing at full voltage again. I play with the amp pretty cranked, so it's back up to full operating temp before the first song is over.

EDIT: I will, on occasion, leave the amp on and just turn the volume down to zero.

Last edited:

Shiny_Beast

Gold Supporting Member
ya, killing the b+ is the important part. I don't actually have a stand bye on this amp, so why post in this thread lol.

My other amp it was a mix what I'd do. I don't gig it often, but back when I did I think ultimately I just ended up turning it off.

Aaron Mayo

I leave my amps on, volume down in general. I am generally in the pa via direct box and there will be a pop through the mains if I go to standby. I know I could ask for the channel to be muted but my way is simpler.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom