Gigging heavily I need recommendations for acoustic strings

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JGarofalo3, May 5, 2016.

1. JGarofalo3

JGarofalo3 Member

I gig with both electric and acoustic guitars. My acoustic strings of choice to date have been "NewTone Master Class Double Wounds" 11's. I cannot tell you how much i LOVE these strings!!!....BUT.....

Gigging 2x a week now I am blowing through strings quickly and at over $12/pack it is getting pricey.

What are you all using that you are happy with tonally and budgetarily (especially those of you that play daily & gig a lot) and why?

Thanks in advance

JG3

2. ES330

ES330 Member

[QUOTE="JGarofalo3, post: 21895208, member: 142114"I am blowing through strings quickly and at over $12/pack it is getting pricey.
    [/QUOTE]

What strings are you using ??
    Don't think I want those !!

MrLahey likes this.
  3. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like a job for ....

[​IMG]

erniecaster, MrLahey, c7sus and 2 others like this.
  4. Drewski

Drewski Silver Supporting Member

John Pearse pure nickels. Long lasting, great feel, moderately priced.

Fuzzr and ibis like this.
  5. JGarofalo3

JGarofalo3 Member

What strings are you using ??
    Don't think I want those !![/QUOTE]

As thread said, Newtone Master Class Double wounds which are awesome but I would like more than 5 gigs out of my strings if possible (plus the daily practice for an hour or so)

6. plexirocker 68

plexirocker 68 Member

D'Addario EJ 16.. Phosphor Bronze... They sound good, intonate good, don't break and hold up pretty well for non coated strings... I gig them all the time and they work for me ..
    Plexi

MrLahey likes this.
  7. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I just tried the Elixir Nanoweb knowing I would hate them.

Believe it or not, no issues. They are a little duller than what I am used to, but I don't mind them.

8. Squatch57

Squatch57 Member

I like the Elixirs but I find they notch out the tuning before they rust heh
    Depends on what style you're playing, but they last good for regular playing if you're not digging in

Drewthemusical likes this.
  9. 335guy

335guy Member

Martin Lifespan SP's. I get a 3 pack when they're on sale. They last me a long time between changes.

10. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Digging the EB aluminum bronze sets. Great life. Also they have more projection and power it seems to my ears so I actually went down a gauge over other strings. Sound great, long life, easier on hands. Win win win.

Find gauge you like and then buy in 3 packs, comes out about $6 a set.

RR59CMS and MrLahey like this.
  11. JGarofalo3

JGarofalo3 Member

Thanks for the suggestions, will look into and try and few mentioned here

12. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

Long time Elixir user on all of my electric and acoustics.
    But I stick with Fenders with my Tele B bender ... don't know why.
    Just feel and sounds better.

13. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

I usually end up with D'Addarios or Martins, mixed m/l gauge. With nylon strings I use a special brand flamenco players use, but with steel string, I just go with whatever the local store has. That's because I have gigged a lot on acoustic and beat the crap out of my D19. They last maybe two gigs, and I really could change them every time, but screw the audience. They have crappy taste anyways, and drink a little much. What I am saying is that no one cares what my strings sound like at those gigs. If I was playing more steel at home, I actually would care more. I care about nylon strings more, and spend more on them, because I play those at home or in more quiet environments.

14. ibis

ibis Member

Another 100% Elixir user. Electric and acoustic. I like the feel, tone and longevity.

Blanket Jackson and +NRG like this.
  15. Drewthemusical

Drewthemusical Member

Try the Cleartones. They're rad if you don't like the feel or sound of other coated strings.

As for me, I use Elixirs. The sound isn't quite that bright, new string sound. It's almost like an uncoated string that's been "broken in" for lack of a better term. But, they stay that way for a looooong time. I find that they don't really ever lose that sound like uncoated strings do.

16. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

I have broken many Elixers.

Never had a Curt Mangan string break on me.

17. lonetone483

lonetone483 Member

I've been wondering about this issue as well. Strings that last long. What I've been searching for on my taylor are a set of strings that are a little darker in sounds as opposed to the elixirs I'm using now. The guitar always seems a bit to bright. The longevity of the elixirs with a darker tone would be a ticket for me. I am very curious about Curt Mangan Coated Acoustic strings

18. c7sus

c7sus Member

Have used only Elixer Nano's on my Martins since they were introduced. Never broken a string and never had any duds in a pack.

For darker sounds try the Elixer Polys. Has a thicker coating.

19. doublescale1

doublescale1 Suhr S-Classic Gold Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    Elixir Nano's or the Martin SP's - I get longer good sounding life out of both those sets than the regular old-school phosphor/bronze strings. I use the Elixir's on my Gibson Advance Jumbo and the Martin SP's on my D15 & GPCPA3. Live both sets deliver authoritative full, warm, sparkly tone. I always try to buy when they go on sale, which is at least once a year for both, I stock up then.

20. Billy Moss

Billy Moss Member