gigging with a 4x12 cab

Blanket Jackson

Every day is like Tio's birthday
Gold Supporting Member
If you're gonna rock a 4x12, then you might as well go full stack. Nothing says rock and roll like the 2 4x12s stacked with the head up on top.

You may not be able to turn the head up past 2, but size always matters when you want to make an impression. If only these guys had the ceiling to stack 'em ...

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to still play with a 4x12 cab, but I haven't used on since I was 34 years old (49 now). Just kept getting heavier and heavier the older I got. But man, nothing beats the sound.

RCM78

I've been using a 2X12 for 7 years now. Thinking about the Suhr Reactive Load IR and eliminating the cab...

MoPho

Pho Shizzle
Silver Supporting Member
On the bass side, 2X15s, 6X10s and 8X10s can be found at terrific prices locally, particularly if you're patient. I'm accumulating a set of Mesa Powerhouse cabs. Prices start at almost retail but they tend to take my asking price after sitting on CL after a month.

buddaman71

Student of Life
Gold Supporting Member
I gigged with my fantastic USA Peavey Penta 412 (with semi open rear port) for 10 years. It takes up no bigger footprint than a 212 or the 2 112s I gig with now. Incredible sounding cabinet, and I’ve regretted selling it ever since I did. Sounded huge even at low volumes. Dumb to change, and very hard to find these days.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
There is nothing like a 4x12 cranking out when playing live! I would love to have one but that would mean that it would have to come up from downstairs for the gig, and then go back downstairs after the gig. My back will never forgive me.
Nowadays...I use my BE-50 head and OX direct. I have a Friedman 1x12 with a new Celestion for my monitoring and a BE-212 for the larger venues. If I don't bring that, it is Axe III with an ASM-10. My back is not the greatest so I need to keep the weight down.

Hugh_s

Silver Supporting Member
We saw the Rippingtons on a cruise around the Statue of Liberty. Russ used a POD500 and sounded great. I spoke with him about and he said it fit in his carry on and sounded good enough. There is a lesson in there if you are listening.
is the lesson here that the Rippingtons are happy with a POD500?

because that's the only lesson I think one could take from that.

TheGuildedAge

Anyone gigging with a 4x12 in small venues? Long story short, I am plooking to pick up a new head and cab amp, and seeing 4x12's for dirt cheap. I had Marshall 4x12 a long time ago, and it was such a pain to lug to gigs... whats your experience?
If you don't mind carrying it I never had an issue. All I had for a while was a 4x12, but my amp heads varied. Sound guys would roll their eyes sometimes until they saw a smaller head on top. I've never been a volume war guy, but I like how I can hear a 4x12 a little better.

S. F. Sorrow

I love my Marshall 4x12 and head (JCM 900mkiii). I mean LOVE it. There is nothing that sounds like it, to me, and anything else is lesser. The problem isn't necessarily the weight, because the cab on wheels is easy enough to roll into the venue, but it is the space it takes and the logistics of loading it in and out of the vehicle, and I drive a full size F350. I really hate to say it, but we are seeing less and less cab/head amps out there for club/bar/cover bands, and more and more combos, because it is just easier. I go back and forth between my '68 DRRI and my Marshall DSL40C. Love the Marshall, but I'm willing to bet it is heavier than my 4x12 - at least it sure feels that way. That thing is a pain in the *ss to load/unload. It makes my Deluxe Reverb feel like just one more guitar I'm carrying...
...but with that said, I love the fact that some of you guys will not give up your 4x12's. Love it! Rock and Roll!!!!!!!!!!

by the way, I've been intrigued with that Tech 21 Ritchie Kotzen effects setup, especially DI. Talk about easy, but I just can't do it. Still can't get over the thought of not having an amp with knobs to f**** with during the set.
You gotta be kidding. I have a small Toyota Matrix & can easily haul an oversized 4x12 plus guitars & lighting.

Even this 70's beast fit in the Matrix when I was in a power trio....

ned7flat5

I find my 1960A quadbox far easier to load in/out than my Twin Reverb which is a nightmare to carry any distance. Due to lack of parking, I’ve, on occasion, wheeled the 4x12 a city block or so. I suppose I should buy casters for the Twin but it would be too low to push along and I’m too cheap. Though I’m 63 this year, I still manage to load the 4x12 into and out of the car’s trunk by myself. (watch this space)

In smaller venues, it is often difficult to find the room to get some distance been yourself and the 4x12 to better monitor your sound. The cab tends to have a lot of directional “throw” and be beamy and as David Grissom once reflected, he used to kill the front rows night after night with his dimed Plexi in the Joe Ely days.

Last edited:

circle_o_5ths

is the lesson here that the Rippingtons are happy with a POD500?

because that's the only lesson I think one could take from that.
Or that a person far more successful at music than you is making due with it to happy paying audiences.

Hugh_s

Silver Supporting Member
Or that a person far more successful at music than you is making due with it to happy paying audiences.
No, that's exactly what I said, but without the personal dig on the success of my music career.

The fact it works for him is perfect... for him! Has nothing to do with me.

crossbones

Last big gig I did, our other guitarist brought a Marshall cab and amp.
A couple guys came up to me and told me how alive and monstrous my guitar tone was coming out of the Marshall.
I was using a 73 champ through a 1x12 cab. (Sounds pretty great)
Our other guitarist's Marshall does not sound good for whatever reason... but the image is there.

Trending Topics