Gigging with a Swart?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rowdyyates, Feb 12, 2012.

1. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

I've always wanted to try a Swart AST but I just can't see gigging with an amp with the controls on the back. Anybody doing it? How does it work?
    Thanks

2. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Get their head+cab setup.

dk

3. jadams71

jadams71 Member

I will be trying it soon with my STR-tweed. I am one of those people that sets it and uses pedals for the rest. Being that it is only (A RREEAALLYY LLOOUUDD)5 watts I would set it right at a slight break up with the the switch set for higher headroom and then use the needed pedals. To give you an idea as to how loud this 5 watter is I had a JTM 30 marshall and my STR could keep with it any day of the week. Just use a mic when gigging.

4. porterburst

porterburst Supporting Member

Try setting the amp in front with the AST turned around so the controls are facing you. You'd be surprised how good it sounds that way.

5. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

It does take a little getting used to, but you'll find with the AST, once you find your tone, you rarely touch the controls anyway. Once I've got my level set at sound check, the only thing I ever touch is my guitar knob. It's THAT good.

6. coreybox

coreybox Member

I have a AST-Pro. The back facing controls aren't that big a deal. With the exception of trem speed, I never want/need to adjust anything. It's not that cumbersome to adjust anyways.

Two other things to think about though:

1) The AST-PRO supposedly had the cab depth increased so that the knobs/controls on the chassis would be recessed. Now they come with a switch protruding on the back panel (to switch speaker from internal to external/attenuator). You still can't lay it down on its back for transport because of this switch.

2) All the tubes are exposed. I could see someone getting burned reaching back there without looking to adjust something. Also, would be easy for something to stick back there and break a tube when moving the amp around or transporting.

7. tvegas99

tvegas99 Silver Supporting Member

my AST PRO sits in a roadcase 6" off of the ground, points at my pantlegs/knees, run it at 12 o'clock roughly on both volume (5-11) and tone (4-8) depending on the guitar and room, easily adjustable... use the volume knob on my guitar, basically set it and forget it

Space is between 2-3, Speed is 5-6 and Depth is 5, both are switched on and off during the night via footswitch and I don't feel the need to fiddle with them

Amp takes pedals very well!

8. Melj

Melj Member

Likewise here...set and forget. And the volume is really the only tweak I make once we are rolling.

Bigger issue is the lack of a mv for me...

9. Prairie Belt

Prairie Belt Member

I gigged a lot this past summer with my AST, the controls on the back were never much of a problem. The amp was usually on a chair, which made it easier to adjust the trem & reverb. The songs I was playing required different amounts of each, but if you're going to keep the rev & trem around the same level whenever they're being used, the foot switch solves that problem.

Also, never turned the amp up past 4 or maybe 5, and that's with a fairly loud rhythm section. As others have noted it's surprisingly loud.

10. tvegas99

+1
    couldn't agree more
    :agree

11. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

Thanks for all the info. Head and cab won't work for me; defeats the small size advantage of the AST. I would need to get to the knobs some during a gig to adjust the volume and the trem. I'm more concerned now about the exposed tubes. I think I'd have to buy a road case, and that defeats the small size too. Sound like I might be best off with another Two Rock Combo.

12. tvegas99

there's no reason to be concerned about the exposed tubes IMO, zero, zip, none, nada... I hope you didn't take that away from my post... it's not an issue

the only reason mine has a roadcase is it travels with our sound company on a truck with all the other gear... the Swart Pro is the perfect grab n' go amp imho

13. BedroomRockStar01

BedroomRockStar01 Supporting Member

I sincerely regret selling mine. It's the only amp I've ever sold and missed, and I will be getting another one as soon as I make funds available.

I rarely used pedals with this amp. It sounds much better without them. I'd kick on a clean boost for an extra push and that's about it.

It sounds to me like you just need an AST Pro Master volume. The tubes are covered and the controls are on the top of the amp. The cabinet is slightly bigger, but still small, slightly smaller than a deluxe reverb. I think that would solve most of your concerns. Oh, and the master volume is bypassable, so you maintain the original circuit if you don't need the master.