Gigging with Helix -> Powercab what should I be aware of?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by carolinaeasy, Jan 22, 2019.

1. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Silver Supporting Member

I plan on using this setup without plugging into the house PA system. Basically using just the Powercab (not plus) as an "amp in the room". What are some potential pitfalls, or necessary adjustments I should make to ensure I am being proactive in my attempts to gig this rig.

2. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

It's pretty straight forward. Just make sure you send a strong enough signal / adjust the input gain so the Powercab flashes yellow when you dig in hard. That way you know you're sending a signal that's neither too weak or too strong.

Other than that? Try the different speakers and see which one you like. On the regular Powercab you need to manually switch between the speakers, but that's probably not a problem. it's pretty simple. Remember to defeat the cabs / IRs in Helix if using the speaker sims.
    I could easily get by with just the built in speakers, but I do find the LRS Powercab pack IRs a great supplement.

Have fun, and if you have any trouble, just post here, and you'll more than likely get solutions. :)

carolinaeasy likes this.
  3. carolinaeasy

@MIJLOVER I plan on using the IRs that I have built into my patches, and will run the Powercab on FRFR. The signal indicator light is something I have not looked at yet, so I appreciate that bit of advice.

MIJLOVER likes this.
  4. bdrepko

bdrepko Supporting Member

How big is the club? Why not go to PA and still use the PC?

5. carolinaeasy

Small venue (bar that seats about 100), and that option is out for this gig.

MIJLOVER likes this.
  6. bdrepko

bdrepko Supporting Member

Depending on how loud the stage is you may have to really turn up the volume.

7. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

Just the normal home to gig issues. Things that sound great at home will have too much bass and be too bright. The amount of reverb/effects you use needs to be a lot less or your guitar will have no presence. Less distortion/compression. Make sure your solo tones have enough off a boost to clearly standout over the band. Most people barely bump their solo volumes over the rhythm tones.

Personally I'd switch to LF Flat mode - turn it up to gig volumes and it won't have that weird high end. But I'm consistent in my dislike for tweeters in a guitar rig.

MIJLOVER likes this.
  8. Holdsworthy

Holdsworthy Member

Can you comment on those LRS IR's? Have you compared them to other companies?

MIJLOVER likes this.
  9. Fresiki

Fresiki Member

Consider the 80hz cut switch on the back if you're using it as a wedge monitor? Depending on what you're gonna be playing I guess.

10. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

Beware of frustration.

11. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

Well, I have been using IRs from Mbritt, Celestion, Cabir.eu and also have some that I haven't tried yet (ML).

I haven't made deep A/B tests, but what I like about the LRS is two things:

1) only a few options are available, and most of them just work immediately.

2) I like the fact that the pack is centered around 1X12 cabs. I've played 1X12 combos / cabs for a long time before getting into modeling, so I like that response. Maybe just because of the familiarity.

Keep in mind that I run the power cab plus in LF flat mode, not FRFR. So I use it more as a powered cab, but still with a more "flat" eq curve and then use IRs on top of that.
    I do like the built in speakers as well, the IRs just give me more versatility, which can be both good and has ;)

12. carolinaeasy

This was a zombie thread, I ended up doing the gig and the Powercab worked great. I had to spend a good deal of time dialing in the sounds at full volume. But once the tweaking was done I was pleased with the results.

13. Holdsworthy

Holdsworthy Member

Cool, thanks. I think I will focus on using the speaker sims in the PC+ first, and then delve into the IR world down the road.

MIJLOVER likes this.
  14. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

That's what I did as well. Like the simplicity of it, and with 2.8 it will be even better with switching speakers for different presets with the midi/program stuff.

15. Holdsworthy

Holdsworthy Member

It took a bit but I was able to get that working using the midi PC's. Wanted to get it to work with midi cc's but at the end of the day, the PC method works fine. But it would be nice to lose the midi cable and make the process a bit more intuitive.

MIJLOVER likes this.
  16. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

Yeah, I got it working too, but I usually have my Powercab+ plugged in my MacBook by usb (cool for jamming along YouTube vids and so on) but that throws of the PC messages. So, until 2.8 shows up, I'm keeping the Powecab in the LF flat mode and using IRs. :)