Gigging without an amp -- which direct pedal to use?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GEN DAWG, Jun 20, 2008.

1. GEN DAWG

GEN DAWG Silver Supporting Member

Folks: I'm flying to Mexico in a few months to play a wedding gig. It's going to be stupidly fun, but the sound rental company down there wants to charge us a king's ransom to rent mediocre amps. So I think I'll just get a pedal with a speaker simulator output and run directly into the board. But which one?

Here's what I need: Like pretty well everybody, I need a clean-ish sound, a dirtier hard-rock sound (Zep, G 'n R -- yes, it's going to be a fun wedding), and louder and a little dirtier solo sound. Don't care about modulation or delay effects; just want to sound (say it with me people) "like a good, cranked amp." I'm a "feel" player, so the organic feel, how I interact with it, touch sensitivity, all of that's very important to me. I truly hate hyper-compressed sounds that don't change no matter how hard you hit them. Money is not the biggest issue, but then again, it certainly matters.

Candidates so far: Tech 21 Tri-A.C. and Ethos. I've even briefly considered using a digital modeler, but I really hate them.

Who has run either the Ethos or the Tri-A.C. straight into a board? Anyone compared them? Are there others out there?

Let's hear it! Thanks in advance.

2. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Besides the Axe Fx, I would say the Tonelab series from Vox have the best "feel". I'm sure if you tweaked some of the sounds, you could get pretty damn close with a Tonelab LE.

But you are never going to have the same feel as with a real tube amp. Maybe you can contact someone through the TGP and borrow/rent their rig.

Also make sure with a modeler you want to practice with the band using it. Make sure you have everything tweaked to sound good in the mix before the show. The last thing you want to be doing in the middle of "Heartbreaker" is bending over to change the settings on your pedal!

Good luck! Have fun at the gig.

dk

3. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

4. GEN DAWG

Response sent. Thanks for the information.

5. Alter

Alter Member

i 've done this a lot. my best and easiest results were with the tech 21 sansamp (when no effects are needed). the tonelab le comes second, but it has a learning curve..

6. GEN DAWG

You used the Sansamp model itself? Did you run it with any pedals in front in order to do solos or other different sounds? By chance, any experience with the Tri-A.C.?

Thanks for the response. Glad to hear from someone with real experience in this. For the record, I really don't want any effects, so I'm inclined to steer away from "all in one" digital modelers like the ToneLab (even though it is a good product -- I've played one a couple of times, including at a gig).

7. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I like the Tonelab quite alot, and the new Digitech RP500 is very cool. XLR outs and super easy to program and use either as a stand alone processor or just a collection of virtual stompboxes with the press of a button.

I am a Tech 21 fan, but hated the TRI-AC...just didn't sound good at all to me...very harsh...

If all you want is non-digital stomps, the Carl Martin Quattro is fantastic

8. GEN DAWG

Thanks for the feedback on the Tri-A.C. Does the Quattro have a direct out w/ a simulator for running into a board? Ever used it that way?

9. Sandro

Sandro Member

If is just for one gig I think you will be fine with the Tech 21 TRI-AC I use it in my studio and through a PA or HI-FI spakers is a killer, the Quattro is just to much money for one gig.

Sandro

10. GEN DAWG

I have used a Trademark 10 amp for recording before, and thought it sounded very good (excellent for the money). I presume the TRI-A.C. has the same guts as the Trademark 10 (and GS2), but just has 3 footswitches that allow you to store settings.

Anyone know if that's true?

11. GEN DAWG

so has anyone gigged with an Ethos going direct into the board? I've checked out the sound clips and it does sound really good. It certainly should for 4 bills!

12. jdavyd

jdavyd Member

i had great results using a TriAC for clean and drive sounds, with mod and delay after and an eq/DI at the very end.

13. hbentley

hbentley Member

i don't have much experience with direct guitar gigging, but what about one of the tube driven matchless pedals (hot box or dirt box)?

14. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

The industry standard would be some sort of Pod. The little pocket Pod would probably be perfect for what you're talking about.

15. Steven_nl

Steven_nl Member

16. monkjunior

monkjunior Member

yamaha magicstomps and jaywalkers patches!!! awesome.... had to use last night, my amp went down 2 songs in i have 2 of these on my board and they work great with pedals before them too... went straight in gig was fine sounded great out the front....

17. mbetter

mbetter Member

Didn't the OP rule out digital modelers?

How about a Bad Monkey?

18. monkjunior

monkjunior Member

yeah he did i guess for me getting as close to something that is pedal size and with the IMO the best sounding sims (without having heard the AXE) thats why i would a suggest a MS...

but if no digi modellers have tech 21 just realesd a bunch of 'amp' pedals someone just listed a board full of them might be cool to ask them...
    checkout here
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=407461

19. tubeboy76

tubeboy76 Member

I would have to agree with buddaman71, the Tri AC just doesn't represent very well in a live situation. Perhaps the Sansamp GT-2? It sounds more natural and organic to me. If I were you though, I would just pack a ZVex Nano Head in my gig bag along with a decent mic and rent a small cabinet once across the border. As long as your volume knob on your guitar works properly, you can control your clean/dirty with it. Small, easy to use, it will drive a 412 with ease, and it's also fun to have around once the gig is over.

20. GEN DAWG

These are great ideas. I'd absolutely love to do the Nano head thing; it's just that they will flat gouge me on ANY equipment I have to rent down there, so I'm a bit worried about that solution.

I'm surprised the Tri-A.C. is getting such spotty reviews. I've used a little Trademark 10 through an extension cab live, but not thru a board. But I've never tried the Tri-A.C., so there you are.

Have never tried a Bad Monkey either, but that would be a great, ultra cheap solution. I guess the way to do that is to set the Monkey for a mild overdrive sound, then back the guitar volume down for cleaner tones. Then throw another pedal in front to handle the heavier overdrive and solos. Awful simple and awful cheap. I may try that.

Otherwise, I'm kind of recognizing that my fate may be to get some sort of digital modeler. I've just never played one I could stand for very long. I have simply never been able to get a cleanish sound I thought was worth squat. Leads and full-on overdrive stuff, fine. Maybe that's just life.

Before I give up on analog, anyone used a series of pedals / preamps into a Palmer direct box (or other direct box)? Palmer has a great reputation, and this is still a really cheap solution.