gigrig

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by µ¿ z3®ø™, Jan 10, 2008.

1. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

anybody 'round these parts got one?
    i'm curious.
    i have a loooper but i'm still not really using it. i'm using a multi amp set up (all amps on all the time) and patch stuff in and out on the fly. i'd like something that is ultra transparent and will allow complex switching.
    gigrig yes?
    gigrig no?

2. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

There are a couple guys here that have them.
    I was just looking at their pics recently.
    One guy actually runs two of the big black Pro-14 model.
    Maybe they'll chime in soon.

I too am looking to invest in one.
    Is it me or did they go up in price?
    I swear they were 1000.00 and now they're more...

I love the demo!

3. davros

davros Member

I have one - the smaller Midi 8. I use it as a looper and to switch between the channels of my RSA23. It is really easy to use and works perfectly - I've had no problems with it. To my ears it is completely transparent. They are expensive (I think they did go up in price a few months ago) but if you gig a lot and like to use a few pedals I think they are definitely worth it. The inventor Daniel is very helpful.

Dave

4. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

this is one of my biggest concerns. the loooper i have has a noticeable affect on the timbre and touch response. hence me going back and patching in different stuff as i need it.

5. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER Silver Supporting Member

I'd like to hear more too.

At the moment I'm torn between going for a GigRig MIDI-8 to handle my pedals and give me some switching options for boost/reverb/channels in my amps or simplifying my live rig.

I'd love to see pics of guys using GigRigs on their boards too.

6. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

seems that there aren't many around or those w/ the gigrig do-hickey thingy are tryna keep it a secret.

7. Seegs

Seegs Member

Chrissy's got an earlier version of one and I heard a metallic sheen and well as high end artifacts imparted on the clean tones...drive boxes also sounded and felt differnent when going through the GR...

it was not transparent in the tests we did...having said that there is a newer version that has supposedly addressed those issues...YMMV!

Tube Guy has also got one that he is quite pleased with...

Chow,
    Seegs

8. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

that's not good news for me, at all.
    i'm currently using a radial JD-7 as a splitter to drive the amps. it is astoundingly transparent when the drag control is dialed in. i don't wanna be taking a step backwards.

9. Seegs

Seegs Member

as powerful as the switching capabilities of the GR are I wouldn't have wanted it in my chain either...

I would PM Tube Guy and see what his experience has been as his is a newer version and he seems to have no issues with tone alteration...

Chow,
    Seegs

10. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

thanx for the heads up.

11. johnwesley

johnwesley Member

I have three, 3 GR's, two midi 8's and a Pro 14. They are transparent. I have used several types of high end switching systems, this is my favorite. I fyou have any questions, drop me a pm.

photo below:

[​IMG]

12. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

do U have the newer units or the older ones that Seegs was talking about?

13. johnwesley

johnwesley Member

Both, I have one old midi 8 and the Pro 14 is about a year and 1/2 old and the second midi 8 brand new....no problems at all...ever. Simply the best thing I have ever done for my tone....won't gig or record without one. Which is why I have three. They all work in different situations.

14. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

cool. so U find there is no qualitative difference in the level of transparency between the two.

may i ask if U hear insertion loss?

15. johnwesley

johnwesley Member

The only time you will hear insertion loss, is if the pedal that is inserted is of a bit lower gain. The gigrig solves this, by including a post vol that can be brought in to each individual patch. I use some very old pedals and a few cut gain, the post amp is activated in each patch that these pedals are in by a little dip switch in each patch, you then turn the volume of the patch up to get the gain to match the other settings.

It is a very simple, yet complex rig. It solves a huge amount of issues, in the least complex way. It allows you to create patches and change them on the fly.

The buffers in the input/output sections really work to keep the signal loss from long cable runs at a minimum.

The isolated outputs kill hum between amps and you can power your 9v dc pedals off of the gigrig to even further eliminate hum.

ON my board, I power 15 units, channel switch the amp, bring a piezo in and combine it with magnetic pickups in all combinations and use 7 different patches on the bottom rail, and use the top rail in "stompbox" mode to bring in 7 different boxes as I need them.

A real workhorse...

JW

16. Richards

Richards Silver Supporting Member

Do the new Pro14's have the ability to use stereo effects?

17. johnwesley

johnwesley Member

The last loop has a stereo return, you just daisy chain in that loop if you have more than one.

18. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER Silver Supporting Member

Very helpful thanks.

I'd love to hear more stories from GigRig users and see a few more pics if you're out there!

19. Tube Guy

Tube Guy Silver Supporting Member

Because too much is never enough:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe Dan can chime in with some comments on the earliest GigRigs, I know there were some substantial changes quite a way back.

I love mine because they allow me to do things I never realised I needed:
    • run ODs at high voumes and then use the post bugffer to bring the volume back down - works great on a Carb and Stage Hog, a substantial tone improvement
    • run a buffer after ODs that need one (Eternity)
    • try ODs with/ without a Tim before and a SBEQ after (some sound better that way)
    • A/B pedals to hear nuances of tone
    • run a wet/dry rig
    • isolate all my amps to avoid hum
    • remotely switch pedals that have an external switch jack (Stage Hog)
    • get unity gain whenever I want it
    • Running two 31 band eqs, one before and one after ODs for tonal experimentation (Thanks Ed)
    Needless to say these pictures were taken a few weeks ago and there have been a few pedal changes since :eek:. I've also found some great white on black labels to stick next to the footswitches.

20. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

Hi Guys

Chrissy's unit is one of the very first we ever sold. What we noticed with the earlier units was the way the switchable output circuit could load the signal. To me, the ability to not only be able to switch between the two outputs, but combine the outputs as well was absolutely essential as i love experimenting with amp combinations. In some circumstances the original circuit could result in tonal changes due to the way the extra load would interact with the impedance and capacitance of the signal at that stage. Since then we have completely redesigned the output stage which now includes a high quality audio transformer that doesn't load the signal, rather it produces a mirror image of the original signal at the second output. This also eliminates earth/ground loop hum and gives you the ability to correct the phase between the amps as well. There are other things we've improved over the years as a result of feedback from customers including many pro sesion and touring musicians. We have been so pleased with the response from customers that we now offer a 100 days money-back guarantee.

Thanks guys, I love the pics.

All the best