1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

GigWise...is a bassman a little too much?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by proreverb68, Jan 1, 2006.

1. proreverb68

proreverb68 Member

OK so Im just getting ready to do more gigs than I ever have before...
    got the band going and...I need some insight from some of you old pros.

For your average gig....is a bassman just a bit over the top?
    Do you ever get to turn these things up?
    I'm currently playing a 64 pro-amp which is like a deluxe reverb with a 15inch speaker....little more power than a deluxe.IM thinking of getting a victoria bassman or one of teh new bassman ltds.
    ive played both...and have heard them full out...
    Just havnt had much experience yet to know if they are worth having at this point to gig with.
    Our music is jazz,bluesy,soul,funk mod whatever...
    Any little piece of advice may help.
    Thanks

2. billdurham

billdurham Member

Thats a tough question....a bassman is perfect for blues, but the other stuff might be a little loud. Not sure what your stage volume is as a band, so its hard to judge. Considering the range of music you are playing, I would think that something with a master volume might be better for you.

FWIW
    BD

3. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

It's really all relative. My Victoria Bassman had the tone of the Gods when turned to about 8 or 9, unfortunately, I only used it at this volume one time. It was too loud for me in most situations but the guy I sold it to said it would be perfect to keep up with his friends Marshall, he loves the amp. They are great amps and you could do far worse with something else but I will admit a good master volume amp is way more user friendly in most situations.

4. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I find that using less efficient speakers (Greenbacks), optionally with slight attenuation (Dr. Z Airbrake), and optionally turning the semi-openback 2x12 cabinet backwards, I can gig with a 40-50 watt non-MV amp like a BF '66 Bassman in smaller clubs with the amp turned up to volumes where it overdrives nicely. (and keep the club owner happy)

5. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

The Bassman is fairly loud by the time it breaks up (that's why they make overdrive pedals)....but the full, rich tone of its 4X10's can't be gotten any other way....even at lower volume.

6. Stringmaster

Stringmaster Gold Supporting Member

Has anyone tried the Clark Piedmont (Bassman style), with the built in speaker attenuation? Any changes in tone attenuated with an overall lower volume?

7. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i love the sound of a cranked bassman.
    i have a kendrick with the switchable "extra" tube and use the THD 2.7? hotplate turned down 2 or 3 notches. sounds yummy.

8. proreverb68

proreverb68 Member

Im with you all...cranked...not much can touch a bassman...

Was thinking along the same lines...I prefer natural breakup to pedals if I can help it...my 64 pro amp is just about the right volume...I can crank it without really blowing anyone out..and get nice breakup if i need it...
    Eventually I will need to own both...
    Until I play bigger venues...I think the natural breakup is a good thing.
    Yet...
    I personally like the victorias or a real old bassman.
    The new reissues are actually very very very good!
    Im not a fender reissue person either but this one is really good.
    I think its fenders bet reissue anything..ever.

9. Bullhonky Deluxe

Bullhonky Deluxe Supporting Member

I bought a plexiglass panel for in front of my amp when I was running Victorias and Vibro-kings, and it worked great! The front row didn't get blasted out, I could hear the amp better than I could without it (as could the rest of the guys on stage), and the soundmen were much friendlier to me after the gigs!
    This also works in small clubs as I can still fill the room without blowing out the tables up front. I don't leave home without it.

:BEER

10. glendrix

glendrix Member

Echo what others say, loud if you are going for power amp distortion, probabaly too loud for most gigs. But I think they just love pedals. Great clean tone and very pedal friendly. If you are a cord, amp , guitar guy you probably should look elsewhere.

11. deadboy77

deadboy77 Member

Haven't gigged with my '59 Bassman LTD yet, but I can tell you they are too loud for bedroom jamming. So to fix the problem I bought a Budda Zen Tone overdrive. I've always plugged right in to the amp without any pedals. Nothing beats the sound of a cranked Bassman or JTM 45, but I must admit that this box sounds great at any volume.

12. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

I cranked one of the limited in Guitar Center. Not overly loud in my opinion. It's loud for sure, but nowhere near say a Marshall 100 watter.

13. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

I've owned my '59 BMRI for roughly 12yrs now & had it re-tubed & re-biased maybe 2.5mos ago for the first time ever. I always thought it was wayyyy too loud in most cases & didn't really play it much, but now I use it constantly. I think the problem with a lot of the late-model BM's is that they're biased very cold & have crap tubes & speakers which just don't have the "BM Tone" that one would expect. Now that mine is re-biased, has a 5AR4 rectifier, and 6V6's in place of the 6L6's it sounds like a new animal. Tone at nearly any volume and with the channels jumpered it breaks up early enough not to blow the windows out. It's still loud & always will be, but it's more managable now, very touch sensitive, and sounds like a great BM should. Plus as others have mentioned it takes pedals very well so a quality OD/Dist./Boost pedal should give you any grit you could want at low volumes & still sound great. Granted, I currently don't have a good OD/Dist./Boost pedal so I've just been enjoying it clean & I can't complain a bit. Oh, or as others have mentioned a power attenuator would probably be really nice with it too, but I have yet to try one out. I've been toying with the idea with getting a Weber MASS, but haven't bit that bullet yet.

So, to answer your question: Yes, the BM is a loud amp & depending on your band's setup can be pretty loud, but as far as the type of music you listed as playing I can't think of a better amp. However, it's a very simple design so if channel-switching, effects loop, reverb, trem, power/pre-amp outs, parametric eq, and soforth are what you want then you might look at a more modern design like some of the great amps others have suggested.

14. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Quite loud and you won't get natural breakup in any gig I've been near. I've used a 25w Fender (Vibrasonic) with a biggish band using 50w Marshall style amps and was just in the sweet spot. Two alternatives-get one biased for 6V6s-you'll be slightly louder due to the bigger speakers, or use a pedal. Anyway you cut it, they sound great!