Gilmour audition...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nashvillesteve, Jul 18, 2006.

1. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

So, I'm auditioning on Saturday for the 2nd lead guitar/Gilmour spot in a serious (10 piece!) PF tribute band...

The tunes are:

"Dogs" (acoustic intro, high part in harmony duet and 2nd solo)
    "Money"
    "Comfortably Numb"

My only electric is my PRS, which with the coil taps sounds appropriate (though not "really" the same as a strat)...

I made a 1 board setup for the audition until the rest is finished on the Furman:

StroboStomp->CompROSSor->Deluxe Moon Phaser->Hellbilly->Hellbaby->Hotcake Bluesberry->Deluxe Memory Man...

The Carmen Ghia is in the shop getting something fixed and should be ready before Saturday...

I was thinking about putting the EMMA on the board for Money, but not sure it's necessary. If the HR-2 gets here in the next couple of days and it makes for a good flanger, I might put that on as well and the POG is on the board in case I want to play at all with synth sounds...

What do you think about this setup? I think it sounds pretty appropriate. I left the wah off of the board, as I don't believe there is any wah on the lead guitars on these 3 tracks in particular.

Does anybody know specifically which vocals are Gilmour's? I can tell when it's obvious, but if any serious PF freaks wanna lay down exactly which parts he's singing on those tracks, that'd be great, since I'm also auditioning for backing vocals and possibly the Gilmour singing parts...
    I tuned my acoustic a step down for "Dogs," but am not sure if I should tune my electric to drop D or not... there is a low D note struck at the end of one of the solo parts, but I'm told we're not going to transpose it up a step (the simple solution if I were to need the acoustic for a song in standard pitch in the same set)...

Unfortunately, I don't have the money to have good cables at the audition and the noise is annoying. I'm just really, really broke... I could spend $100 or so on nice cables/speaker cables/George L's made in time and maybe have enough money to eat before the next check, but I don't want to do that unless I have my final pedalboard system completely worked out so I don't just waste cable lengths on this, though I guess it never hurt to have extra cables lying around and I could probably use them in the future even if they don't work after I get a front end loop switcher thing (maybe pedalboards.com, they have a thinner casing than WOBO, but WOBO were great to work with and can make whatever I dream up, lately I'm thinking of parallel clean/dirty signals and buffered wet outs for stereo effects that can be reversed wet/dry that all go to a 4-1 passive mixer or something to be combined on the Effects input... I think I could achieve this with the WOBO patch bay unit & Programmable analog (or MIDI?) controller with a second custom WOBO companion unit for the weirdness- or I could have them make one from scratch that does all of it- which would have no more than I require and a nicer switch to control the Leslie cabinet speed or other custom oddities incorporated). This is a bit besides the point of the post, unless anybody in Nashville wants to loan me some good cables for a weekend...

This will be an interesting learning experience for me and I'm pretty excited... I am at a point with work where I have the time and really would like to do something like this. I'm also told if I make it, I will need to buy a Talk Box (rocktron?) and an acoustic guitar pickup system (l.r. baggs blended system, I think- can use the out-of-the-chain strobo stomp with an A/B box to use as a DI for acoustic... cool).

Any advice or thoughts regarding anything here would be appreciated, I read through the http://www.gilmourish.com site, I need to experiment a bit more matching delay times. The Deluxe Memory Man sounds good, but the solos don't sound smooth because bent notes/vibrato clash with their echoing counterparts, so I guess I either need to adjust the delay time closer or take the blend down a bit to avoid this harshness in parts where it's supposed to be smooth as butter, like the solo in "Comfortably Numb."

Thanks & have a great day!

2. Franklin

Franklin Member

Awesome news! I would say that tone is less important than nailing the tunes, but I'm sure you know that. Concentrate on the vocals and don't get nervous!

Break a leg!

3. entraind

entraind Supporting Member

For Dogs the guitar is tuned down a whole step. Gilmour sings the entirety of Dogs and Money. He sings the choruses of Comfortably Numb.

I would second what Franklin says and put all thoughts of cables and effects out of your mind and concentrate on nailing the vibe of the solos and vocals. Gilmour's playing and singing are incredibly emotional, so your tone and connection to the notes you are playing/singing will be what the audience and those running the audition respond to. Good luck.

4. Unburst

Unburst Member

I'm pretty sure Waters sings "Money" but Gilmour does sing the chorus of "Comfortably Numb"

5. johnnySRZ

johnnySRZ Member

Good luck Steve! Yeah, don't worry too much about your tone right now. You got some great tools to work with already. Be sure and let us know how it goes!

6. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

On Dogs, Waters sings everything from "Gotta admit..." onwards. But you might want to come in with backing vocals for the "Who was..." part at the end. As pointed out earlier, Gilmour sings all of Money and the choruses for Comfortably Numb.

Re gear, I agree that feel is a LOT more important. That being said, if this project gets serious for you you should seriously consider getting a Strat and a Deluxe Electric Mistress. You can check out my PF tribute's rough mix of Comfortably Numb at notfloyd.com. My gear for that was:

'57RI Strat->Tone Press->Hotcake->DEM->DigiDelay->POD XT

7. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

Nope, all Gilmour on Money.

8. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

Gilmour sings money.

9. Thor

Thor Member

Congrats and Break a Leg!

If you do get the gig, you may want to think about adding a vibe. First things first though - nail the audition!

Cheers,

Ed

10. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Good luck with the gig.
    Do you know if they're going for look as well as sound? Just curious. Some of the tribute bands I've seen have the look as well as the sound.

11. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Hey, thanks a lot, everybody!

I am aware of this, he hits a low "D," but the rest of the band won't retune or transpose up a step (which would be the easiest solution, oh well)... I think the whole reason why it's tuned down anyway is because of that Eb chord at the end, so the same fingering can be used as in the previous chord... But, I'm stuck in standard tuning, I might drop the D just to get the low one, there's not really anything else I'm going to do on the 6th string that will mess me up too bad, I think.

The PRS really is more convincing than you'd think because the rosewood neck makes it ring out with more of a Fender-bloom than a regular mahogany neck LP guitar would, which makes the coil taps sound much better I think on this one than on the regular McCartys... however I'm not pretending it can nail the sound 100%. I will see, but I think if it sounds reasonably close and fantastic, then I'll keep it (I love the way it plays & sounds!)... I could look into having the vol knob made push/pull to reverse pickup wiring and get more in-betweeny sound anyway and a StetsBar will soon be released where I can add a great vibrato tailpiece to the PRS without drilling.... I could also get a unit like the Vari-Tone in a pedal or something that might help me get more tones from it... I'm really a "one axe" player, I mess around with effects and such plenty, but I love not even questioning the axe... still, a strat would be more appropriate and have a trem... (possibility of adding the new Graph-tech MIDI saddles as well- except I want my PRS to the be the UBER guitar, not whatever strat I can afford... oh well).

As for the vibe, I've got it... The Deluxe Moon Phaser has great vibe sounds, as it's got tremolo and a bunch of different settings where you can blend them and get uni-vibe... it's got a great throbbing vibe sound, perfect for floyd (listen to the tremophase demo clips here and tell me it doesn't sound appropriate for PF...and it's stereo)... I've also got a Leslie cabinet, so I think I'm covered on Vibe... I do want to replace my old/problematic volume and wah pedals with a Gig-FX Mega Wah (stereo! dual function!) and then get a Gig-FX Chopper stereo tremolo pedal as well...

12. entraind

entraind Supporting Member

13. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

congradulations!!!!!
    Mass

14. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

No, the audition is this coming saturday! I'm not there, yet! Whew... :worried

15. drolling

drolling Member

Ahh.. Where's Pete Cornish when ya need him?

no.. really, like everyone's said, don't sweat the cables.. just go for Gilmour's pentatonic-rock vibe and you'll do great.. his playing's more about *feel* than *technique*..

You should be good to go w/the pedals you're bringing, tho' I coulda sworn there's some wah in 'Money'.

And if you get the gig, rather, when you get the gig you're gonna need to install that 'no-drill' whammy-thingy - Channelling Gilmour (or channelling Doyle Bramhall IXVII channelling Gilmour) I always try to remember to pull UP on the bar at the end of those biig bends (a la 'The Wall- part 47') - you can go sharp as well as flat w/the non-invasive tremolo system?

I wouldn't switch guitars, either - more important to be at ease w/your instrument. And I used flangers & phasers for years before Bob Sweet built me a 'vibe. Nobody can hear the difference once you start playing.

Knock 'em dead, Steve!!

16. michael_smurphy

michael_smurphy Member

Hi Steve...

As a gilmour nut ..

a. You need a black face clean sound.. from your amp.
    b. Preferably a strat bridge and neck tone, and a good trem, put lite strings unless you can do 2 octaves on a wound G string LOL !
    c. for effects you dont need Pete C but you will need something simple in a pedal board like this...

Guitar > Compressor > Fuzz distortion (Big Muff or Rat ish) > Fuzz Germanium (Fuzz Face) > Overdrive (TS9 ish) > Clean Boost (GE7 will work) > SEND RETURN LOOP > Flanger & / or Phaser > DDL Delay (Tap tempo) > Chorus (CE-2 or Mojo Vibe) > Black Face Clean.

In the S/R loop add a wah and whammy pedal..

d. Then play penatonics and use your whammy bar lightly and a lot..
    e. Take an acoustic for Wish You Were Here, a dread nought of some sort gets you there.

Your cable choice is irrelevant as long as your gear is powered (a PP2 will work great) and you have ok cables, dont use as much effect as you think.

Play something like Run Like Hell with Drop D tuning.. (he uses an old tele) and Another Brick (solo was a Les Paul)... a super strat with a piezo gives you the whole range, a Line 6 XT Live or Boss GT-8 can both be reasonably programmed too and sound aweome.

You dont neet a Hiwatt 100 watt head to nail his clean tone as most of his reorinds were balck face is clean tones with pedals and remain even today .

The trick I employ for Gilmour is to breatheeeee slowly... and try and think a little like you are a sax player or you are whistling the solo !!

Cheers
    MS

17. michael_smurphy

michael_smurphy Member

18. Rambo66

Rambo66 Member

Buzzkill!! I thought you were actually auditioning for David Gilmours band.

Good luck anyway.

19. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

May fortune smile upon your effort.
    Rob

20. cerebralpaul

cerebralpaul Member

Why are people saying Gilmour is a pentatonic player? I can't think of a single example of him sticking to just the pentatonic scale.