Gilmour fuzz confusion: Mojo Hand FX & Top Tone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by scolfax, Feb 7, 2015.

1. scolfax

scolfax Member

I just learned about the Top Tone DG-1 and DG-2. They have totally been off my radar.

I already have a Mojo Hand FX Iron Bell and Pompeii. Would the DG pedals be more or less the same as what I already have?

2. allanh91

allanh91 Member

Depends what Gilmour you want. Iron Bell is supposedly very versatile and covers a lot of his early-late stuff, Pompeii is obviously for the early days with the Fuzz Face.

The DG-1 and DG-2 are supposed clones of the Cornish P2 and G2. P2 The DG-1 will do Division Bell era stuff, and associated live gigs, where the DG-2 reflects a lot of his tones on On an Island and the associated live gigs (Live 8, Gdansk, Remember that Night Comfortably Numb tones, and the Echoes solo from Gdansk).

All subjective, but I argue with a great sounding muff, the right picking style, and some well mixed delay (possibly adding modulation in keeping with a specific period) you don't need to go chasing every Gilmour in a box pedal that comes out.

I certainly wouldn't trade what you have anyway. Unless you really want the G2 sound, in which case go for the Buffalo FX evolution.

3. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Supporting Member

I got a DG-1 this past week and it's awesome. Pretty much the best muff I've heard. Tons of gain if you need it, no flubby bass, and nails Gilmour for lead playing.