Gilmour Tone !!!!

madformac

That was SOME night, huh? I think that was the first time I had seen laser lights at a show since the 80's. I just got Remember that Night back from a friend I lent it to. So, I watched this over the weekend, and this (as well as Pulse) have got to be two of the most brilliant shows I've ever seen.
Yeah I agree. I was one of the fortunate ones to be at the front of the crowd for Live 8 in 2005 and at the Royal Albert Hall for the second night of filming for the "Remember That Night" DVD and I've never heard anything like that tone. It was nerve tingling (as he reaches for the DVD!) haha.

Waxhead

I think you're giving a sizable insult to DG by even thinking you could nail anyone of his many guitar tones with one lousy pedal. He's used possibly the most expensive rig in history for decades, he uses 2 or 3 or 4 different guitar tones on almost every track he's ever recorded, he's been the master of innovation and he's a musical genius. And you think you can nail it with one cheap pedal :rotflmao

reo73

I think you're giving a sizable insult to DG by even thinking you could nail anyone of his many guitar tones with one lousy pedal. He's used possibly the most expensive rig in history for decades, he uses 2 or 3 or 4 different guitar tones on almost every track he's ever recorded, he's been the master of innovation and he's a musical genius. And you think you can nail it with one cheap pedal :rotflmao
Oops...our bad. I forgot that expesive rig=tone! :rolleyes:

KennethC

and at the Royal Albert Hall for the second night of filming for the "Remember That Night" DVD and I've never heard anything like that tone. It was nerve tingling (as he reaches for the DVD!) haha.
DG's tone on the Remember That Night DVD was AMAZING. It sustains forever, but has very little hair for most of the songs. Sounds like a fat, clean tone layered with a smooth fuzz on quite a low setting, and of course, relatively low output single coil pups on an alder/maple strat. I really want to get this tone...have not found it yet.

james russell

Gold Supporting Member
DG's tone on the Remember That Night DVD was AMAZING. It sustains forever, but has very little hair for most of the songs. Sounds like a fat, clean tone layered with a smooth fuzz on quite a low setting, and of course, relatively low output single coil pups on an alder/maple strat. I really want to get this tone...have not found it yet.
This is a great description of my favorite David Gilmour tones. Very little hair, but lot's of sustain, and a feeling of intensity and urgency. A fuzz, and delay alone just won't do it. I've been working on that fat, clean, sustaining sound for my whole guitar playing life, and not just from Gilmour's influence. It's got a vocal quality that is haunting.

Good discussion guys.

James

Waxhead

Oops...our bad. I forgot that expesive rig=tone! :rolleyes:
Nice selective comment.

NO - major talent + money + innovation + time + effort + expertise + playing technique = you got no chance unless you got all that.

He recorded maybe 50 different guitar tones over 35 yrs - maybe more. You can get close to a few of em if you become obsessive compulsive about it. Soooo exactly which ones are you trying to copy - his dotted 8th delay from Run like Hell - his Lesley Speaker tone from Any colour you like - his slide tone from One of these days perhaps or maybe the lead tone from Money on the Pulse CD - or maybe ?????????????

rewog

Do you think it's unfair for people to try to get close to a certain tone of his without dedicating their lives to it ?
The Skreddy pedals are aimed at a particular tone of Gilmour's.
No-one's claiming it will make you DG.

Timbre Wolf

Hyperspatial Gravity Surfer
Platinum Supporting Member
Soooo exactly which ones are you trying to copy - his dotted 8th delay from Run like Hell - his Lesley Speaker tone from Any colour you like - his slide tone from One of these days perhaps or maybe the lead tone from Money on the Pulse CD - or maybe ?????????????
The acid seagull screeches, from Echoes... got the Haw pedal, but the timing is a tricky skill. :)

- T

Ben C.

I was up at 4AM EST, had a hectic day at work, hosted a family gathering tonight, and typed that response while watching the debate at the same time. I was clearly not firing on all thrusters :crazy

:D

reo73

Nice selective comment.

NO - major talent + money + innovation + time + effort + expertise + playing technique = you got no chance unless you got all that.

He recorded maybe 50 different guitar tones over 35 yrs - maybe more. You can get close to a few of em if you become obsessive compulsive about it. Soooo exactly which ones are you trying to copy - his dotted 8th delay from Run like Hell - his Lesley Speaker tone from Any colour you like - his slide tone from One of these days perhaps or maybe the lead tone from Money on the Pulse CD - or maybe ?????????????
I think this is a very narrow position on what it takes to get a certain tone. I don't think it takes much gear or big dollar production to get into the ballpark of any of his tones, they are just not that unique. It does take some talent to play, but I will stand by my position that a good pedal and a few effects will get you close enough to call it Gilmourish.

rewog

I think this is a very narrow position on what it takes to get a certain tone. I don't think it takes much gear or big dollar production to get into the ballpark of any of his tones, they are just not that unique. It does take some talent to play, but I will stand by my position that a good pedal and a few effects will get you close enough to call it Gilmourish.
I agree.... and I've seen very convincing tones done with minimal gear.
I think it's kind of negative to say you'll never do it so don't even try.

riis

Hi guys! Thanks for mentioning my site!

I think it's right what some of you have pointed out; most of David's tone is in his fingers and technique. That pretty much goes for any guitarist, but Ithink David is one of those few guitarists that sounds (more or less) less the same whatever guitar and rig he plays. It doesn't need to be all fancy or spot on his stuff but some understanding of how he plays and learning his basic techniques, which are based deep in the blues.

Please check out this article for some basic tips: http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=5

This gear guide for PULSE:http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=31

This gear guide for Remember That Night (Tour 2006): http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=218

Here's an article about David's legedary Big Muff tone with some recommendations: http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=214

Thanks!

Daniel-San

There is indeed more to Davids sound and tone than just pedals or rack-effects. It's mostly in his phrasing, note-choice, timing...etc.
Ofcourse his gear is a big part of it all. Without his Hiwatt's or Fender's he wouldn't get that huge clean headroom, on which he layers his OD and/or Fuzz.
You can't get his tone with just a pedal, so you would need some more thann that, but you wouldn't need to get all the gear he uses (as you can read on gilmourish.com).

By the way...nice to see you here too Bjorn ;-)

madformac

Hi guys! Thanks for mentioning my site!

I think it's right what some of you have pointed out; most of David's tone is in his fingers and technique. That pretty much goes for any guitarist, but Ithink David is one of those few guitarists that sounds (more or less) less the same whatever guitar and rig he plays. It doesn't need to be all fancy or spot on his stuff but some understanding of how he plays and learning his basic techniques, which are based deep in the blues.
Hi Bjorn, nice to see you on here. Love the Airbag stuff, great work!

I think that's totally correct. David can pick up an acoustic with no effects and it still sounds Gilmour. Choice of notes, timing and holding bends, picking technique etc. If you want to sound like David that's the area to look at, the way he twists his pick and gets the pinched harmonics he does, no pedal can give you that.

It's a case of feeling the notes rather than playing them. Anybody can pay for the best lessons to learn a language for instance, but the inflection of the words is far more unique, that in essence, is you..

Of course if Gilmour, Clapton, Slash, Knopfler or whoever is somebody you relate to then naturally it will inform your own playing to some degree. I've been told numerous times that my tones sound a bit like Knopfler, which is probably more to do with the fact that my fingerpicking style is similar than anything else. My choice of notes and how I phrase them is individual.

CaptRonJon

The Gilmour tone is hard to get but I think your best bet is to get a vintage Big Muff Pi for the distorion through Hiwatt heads and cabs. If you want that classic phase from Darkside of the Moon, I found that the EH Small Stone with the color switch on and the dial at about 10 or so grabs that "Speak to Me/ Breathe" sound perfectly to a "T". I was jamming that tune with some friends when I got that pedal and they about fell out because it sounds so perfect. Also, Gilmour likes the '57 Strats with the '57 pickups or EMG pickups. Guitar Center sells his pickguard with the EMG pickups for a measly $300. The best website I have found is www.gilmourish.com. It is details his rig very well. Good luck!

gang twanger

If you can nail the phrasing, the Throbak Overdrive Boost through a decent quality Fender amp like the Custom Vibrolux will nail the Wish You Were Here, Animals, Wall, and Final Cut tones, and with the included mods switched in, it does the earlier Fuzz Face tones from Dark Side and others pretty damn well too. Plus you get Beck, Page, and Blackmore thrown in to boot.

Love that thing!! Best overdrive I've ever played, period!

Derelict King

You must not have seen him play at the Paramount Theater, in Oakland CA, April 16, 2006. That was the best live show I've ever seen, in over 30 years of attending (and playing in) live rock concerts. :BEER

- Thom
I caught both shows, dude. They blew my hair back :AOK

DK

Trending Topics