Gilmour's early FF tones or later Muffage?

Gilmour's Fuzzface or Muff tones?

• Fuzzface baby!

• Give me the muff!

• Both, its all good!

Results are only viewable after voting.

DanHorse

Whats you favourite? me, i cant help but love his early Fuzzface tones more. Tracks like Fat Old Sun, so honest sounding and direct.

(however, i love the muff stuff big time too!)

How about you? vote!

Last edited:

halcyon85

Both, but after watching Live In Pompeii, I've taken a slight inclination toward the FF era.

But I also really liked his tone during the Division Bell and everything after. The Animals, Wall, Final Cut stuff, not so much.

coolhand78

I love DSOTM tones but I really love his most current Pete Cornish set up - RTN and OAI tones are just killer...!

whackystrings

For me, I enjoy Gilmour regardless of fuzz box used.

However...
I am not a fan of his use of the Muff in concert on songs that used a Fuzz Face in the studio. Hearing 'Time' with a Muff solo is something that I always found too far off the mark. I'm sure that 'Sorrow' with a Fuzz Face would rub me the same way.

That said...
His tone in concert was much more consistently thick and warm (that sounds weird, ugh) when using the muff. There are many times when listening to ROIO's that I cannot believe how brash, spikey, and fizzy his Si fuzzes were when other times they were nice, searing, soaring roars. Yes, some of this must be down to the recording quality but I have heard enough boots to say that it can't be just that.

zosozep7

Silver Supporting Member
Muff all the way for me baby! Give me my SUF Civil War or Violet Rams Head!!

papersun

While Dogs has some of my favorite tones of the entire Floyd catalog, all in all, I prefer the Fuzz Face.

Edit: His playing is always legit, though. I just always thought the non-Dogs Animals and Wall tones sounded weird.

Dashface

It's all good. I think my favorite tone is probably the solo work from Dogs... But when playing the tunes live (which, god knows, I have done a lot now), it's all about the tones from The Wall and The Final Cut. Those tones have this huge muscular thing going on, especially live, which is delicious.

edi_87

They're all great, but IMO the FF tone from Dark Side of the Moon has some really special qualities to it. It's raw but also balanced, I love it.
That said, I love all Gilomour's tones.

DanHorse

For me, I enjoy Gilmour regardless of fuzz box used.

However...
I am not a fan of his use of the Muff in concert on songs that used a Fuzz Face in the studio. Hearing 'Time' with a Muff solo is something that I always found too far off the mark. I'm sure that 'Sorrow' with a Fuzz Face would rub me the same way.
QUOTE]

Completely agree, i do wish he would still use a fuzzface for the earlier tracks. Some more variety in his live tones with that older raw edge back in would be good, as much as i love the muff and OAI tones.

Trending Topics