• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Gimme Shelter intro

Jeff Michael

How do you play this? Do you make the C# chord minor? Do you raise the sus4 on the A chord? My answers have always been 'yes' and 'no', but other peers have brought these decisions into question.

So how do you play it?

JAM

I just play the C# and the octave and then the little walkup thing on the turnaround thingy.

Oh, I'm just the bass player.

rob2001

The only way i've ever really nailed the vibe of that one was with an alternate tuning. I forget which one.

MikeMcK

Gold Supporting Member
The only way i've ever really nailed the vibe of that one was with an alternate tuning. I forget which one.
Open E... 90% of the "Stones vibe" on guitar is due to open tuning (usually open G without the low string).

This is all done starting from a barred 9th fret:
I'm pretty sure the C# is major (the suspension in the intro is the C# & F going to D# & F#. Move the whole thing down two frets and do it again (but add an F# by playing the barred 'B' string, then down two more frets to the 5th fret.

On the 5th fret, the alternating parts in the 3rd & 4th strings are alternating between 5th fret and 7th frets on both strings. The power chord part becomes REALLY easy and "right-sounding" with just one finger barring different frets.

During the verses, use a 6-string barre at each fret to alternate between barring all strings with your index finger, then go to the IV chord by playing a 7th shape. IOW, in open E tuning, barre the 9th fret, then pretend you're playing a C#7 on the 9th fret. You'll hear "that Stones sound" in an instant.

rob2001

Open E... 90% of the "Stones vibe" on guitar is due to open tuning (usually open G without the low string).

This is all done starting from a barred 9th fret:
I'm pretty sure the C# is major (the suspension in the intro is the C# & F going to D# & F#. Move the whole thing down two frets and do it again (but add an F# by playing the barred 'B' string, then down two more frets to the 5th fret.

On the 5th fret, the alternating parts in the 3rd & 4th strings are alternating between 5th fret and 7th frets on both strings. The power chord part becomes REALLY easy and "right-sounding" with just one finger barring different frets.

During the verses, use a 6-string barre at each fret to alternate between barring all strings with your index finger, then go to the IV chord by playing a 7th shape. IOW, in open E tuning, barre the 9th fret, then pretend you're playing a C#7 on the 9th fret. You'll hear "that Stones sound" in an instant.

Ya, thats seems right, and I highlighted your last comment because it's really true. A lot of stones stuff can be done with regular tunings but that vibe just jumps out with the alternate tunings.

MikeMcK

Gold Supporting Member
OK, good. I realized my comments seemed a little scattered, and also just realized that my new laptop has a camera on it. I just threw together a little video that may explain it better.

If you want it, pm me and I'll try to mail it. It may be too big, though at about 8Mb. I really don't want to go through the hassle of a YouTube account, and besides, I just woke up, so the playing is super-sloppy.

DGDGBD

I play it in standard tuning but it is difficult to really nail the vibe. I don't know what the exact names of the chords are, but i think it starts in something similar to a C#minor.[edit-no sorry, not minor.]

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom