Gino Vanelli Brother to Brother solo comparisons

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by scottl, May 6, 2011.

1. '58Bassman

'58Bassman Member

I don't think I have seen/heard Daryl make more than a few mistakes in the whole time I have known him and, IIRC, Gino told him that he didn't need to stick too close to the original version.

2. scottl

scottl Member

Not disagreeing. I just did not like his interpretation nor his note choices. For me he played on top of and not in the changes quite a bit on this one. Mike Miller and Carlos Rios just killed it with super colorful note choices and lyrical ideas.

On the other hand, I wore out Enigmatic Ocean back in the day. Love him on that.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
    Comet01 likes this.
  3. Tchello

Tchello Member

+1 Please!

4. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Mike ... I actually have a few cuts of Carlos playing with Tom Scott on the show recorded on VHS ...
    They are in storage ... need to get them out, convert & drop them to CD one of these days (soon)

BTW ... Was that the Pat Sajak or Arseno Hall show ...? :huh

5. Pete Faragher

Pete Faragher Member

Just read this thread...
    I LOVED Brother to Brother back in the day. Wore it out and the band I was in back then played it (not sure how well :crazy). Yes Carlos' solo in the title track is almost perfect isn't it.
    I have to say Gino has ALWAYS had a KILLER band. I saw him at The Colonial on Yonge St. in Toronto when I was in high school. No guitarist (or bassist for that matter) yet. Storm at Sunup days. But OMG....the band was just incredible. Graham Lear on drums.....just off the charts. It was a bit of a revelation for me.

Hey Gortur.....the link isn't working for me. Says it's not found. Could you repost?

thanks
    pete

6. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Gino always had that Sting "Look at me without my shirt on!" thing...cheesy.

But...there is no denying that his band (and his voice) were and are just KILLIN'.

I wore out 'Brother to Brother' back in the day...for the vocals, the rhythm section, AND Carlos Rios!
    I also wore out 'Nightwalker' for same...and Mike Miller!

S.
    j

7. Ogre

Ogre Member

My band did a gig with them in New Orleans in 1975. They were excellent.

8. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

Joe is was the Pat Sajak show. Here's a clip with Carlos featuring Eric Gale playing the theme:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  9. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Supporting Member

What a fun thread thanks for posting.